Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well playas its time, I ve been riding for 2 years now (on street, 10 on dirt) and I just ordered the laguna seca suit, time to get that knee down. I am already getting the edge of the tire w/o pucks so I dont think it will be too far of a stretch for me. I have practiced the form the last 5 months or so when I ride. Suit comes in thursday (along with my Spies signature helmet) and I will be out sat and sunday. Now, do you recommend I pratice this in a parking lot before hand, or just go out on the road I normally ride and allow my knee to stick out? I am leaning in the direction of the parking lot, but I will look silly, but I have a spare bike to practice on in case of low sides or some other phenomenon. I am actually a bit nevus because I have never done it before, any pointers. I got the balls of feet, back on the seat, drop shoulder, relaxed girp on bars. I normally try to keep planted on the seat and just use my upper body because I didnt want to knee to hit and grind my skin. Is it going to be as simple as just moving my butt now?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I hear ya on that, I will hit the track up next season, think I am going to rent it out a few times next year.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stand corrected, they are open all year, looks like I will be going later this month.

·
Registered
609 Posts
IMO trying to get a knee down is bad. If you work on good body position, getting a knee down will happen. Let it happen, don't try to force it. and Yes, take it to the track.

You want to be forward on the seat, not back. Weight the inside peg and "kiss the mirror" as you lean forward coming into a turn. Don't use your upper body, use your legs to move around. Never pull on the bars. Look where you want to go.

Best to have a skilled rider follow you so they can help tell you what you are doing wrong.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
good luck, get some shots when you got it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
like I said earlier, I can already get it down that far, I just haven't had a suit in the past, now I am wondering if its going to be easy to get over that built in reaction to tuck my knee in a little so it doesn't hit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
arroyo seco, deming NM track, I think its like 500 all day, might be a little extra but its pretty cheap, ends up being about a track day price anyways, but no sessions.

·
Registered
677 Posts
like I said earlier, I can already get it down that far, I just haven't had a suit in the past, now I am wondering if its going to be easy to get over that built in reaction to tuck my knee in a little so it doesn't hit.
keep doing that, let it surprise ya when it hits :) don't try you got other things to work on that are more important. 90% of the people that do track days would go faster if they stopped trying to get their knee down imho.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I am doing it for fun factor, not really times, I am not in a competition, just for the thrill of my knee sliding on the ground.

·
Registered
227 Posts
For what it's worth, I only got my knee down AFTER I stopped trying. I tried for bloody ages on the road and track. When it did happen I shit myself, at that stage I never thought it was possible. After that it became easy, now I can do it whenever I want.
Sooooo, don't try, just let it happen, and do it on the track first, it is easier/safer. Get more sliders, after I first started doing it all the time I wore out heaps of sliders real fast....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so I got my suit today, I am typing in to get used to the feel and try to break it in a little, get it used to the stretch.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
^^Full sized man in little tiny suit I will pass hahahaha jp

Yeah wear that thing on a couple soild street rides of 50+ miles and it will break in a little...Don't go to the track with a fresh suit...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wasnt planning on it, it still a little hard to move until I get it broke in, I mean it sits alright on me, I can breathe but when I am tucked my movements are slower becuase of the fresh leather.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont have a pic of me in it but here it is

and the helmet that goes with it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts