Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ported a head and installed set of web cams on stk piston 08 busa. basically my street/strip head and cam package. bike on dyno yesterday getting throttle position tune, tune pretty much finalized just rechecking afr at different throttle openings when bike starts throwing a fit. shuts off and hears strange sound coming from under seat area, thankfully seat not bolted on. battery is wps 310 cca with one of those touchpads u push button to revel level of charge, battery extremely hot and button burned thru just starting to spew fire and material. quickley getting worse he was able to cover and contain and remove battery. taken outside complete meltdown occured with battery just burning up. no apparent damage to bike, replaced battery and fuel pump relay now stuck on fuel pump running constantley with battery connections made switch off. replaced pump relay, switch on no fuel pump. bike tuned thru ecu, all ecu info gone, ecu fried. also had ign tables flashed in ecu, everything gone. thankfully he had tune stored, different ecu from another gen 2 busa restored running. now need another ecu/pump relay to replace and restore info to complete tune. cheap lithium battery bad investment. could have been much worth, but good news 221hp/120 ft lbs torque.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Are you sure the battery caused all the other problems or could it have been a relay went bad causing a short and all the other issues including the battery to melt down? Just asking the question and not trying to defend the battery because I don't think a battery should do that even with a short, especially if you have fuses in line to everything coming from the battery. There are fuses?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wiring harness inspected and undamaged, only alteration with all stk fuses intact was 20 amp fuse installed for hp walbro pump which is std on all walbro pump installs with no problems ever. we thinking battery only problem causing some reversed polarity that damaged ecu. will know more with parts replaced back running. my highest hp/trque stk piston big bore build to date. bike making 1441 torque, everything squeezed tight with 220 cranking compression with
415/378 cams degreed 106/108. torque acclerates u, bike gonna et great.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think failed voltage regulator is suspect. Failed battery (low voltage) should not damage ECU, but overvoltage (70V ac generator output) from regulator can likely damage both at the same time. Busa regulator gets dirty and when air is not moving then overheating may result.
Careful not to fry next ECU, regulator is not fused and burnt regulator may well let higher voltage through.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
battery voltage ck'd before dyno at 13.4 idling, just little higher above 4k+ where regulator kicks in to regulate. within specs. going to recheck back running.

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
dang. Have no idea of tech stuff BUT can report that in the past I wasted time on dyno; Two R1's, one FZ1 and one CBR blew out the running headlight, what ever light always ran; if I recall the fz1 ran both and both burned out.

My point is that my hunch is that dynos are not grounded right; for me, just a few bulbs so never sweated. This point connects to the above rider's experience with a particular dyno. I can't recall what my dyno guy was running; but he always seemed a bit focused too focused. Just reporting my observation.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Lithium batteries are like that skinny, hot, crazy girlfriend..... they are a lot of fun until they decide to go crazy on you! there is a reason they have an awful lot of restrictions to travel by aircraft. Just sayin'. ;)

So much wisdom in those words.... happened to me with women same way so many times.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Glad you got that woman off the bike before a total meltdown happened...battery i mean battery!

So far ive had good luck with my Anti-Gravity battery going on about 4 years now.

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
Lithium batteries are like that skinny, hot, crazy girlfriend..... they are a lot of fun until they decide to go crazy on you! there is a reason they have an awful lot of restrictions to travel by aircraft. Just sayin'. ;)
yes!...well, no....crap, you're close but not there. All women are like that after they make their 'forever' guy selection. After menopause, and if not of Christ, that 'fun' turns into anti Christ mother-in-law. She grows into her mother whom she hated forever when in her 'fun' mode.

Above is the framework and links to 'skinny' as the fun loving mode you pointed out. Much much more but hate to bore everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts