Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tinkering with my 05 the other day and I noticed that I'm puffing purple smoke after quick revs. The bike was not in motion and in nuetral on a stand. Bike has just a hair over 15k on it. I've been on a few rides and no one that has been behind me has commented on seeing a purple cloud while on the throttle. I did just add a full bottle of this:

to the tank. Could that be the cause? I'm only half way through that tank of fuel so perhaps it's too early to tell. Has anyone heard of valve seals going with so few miles on them?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
smoking

lucas has a professional fi cleaning system for autos, also cleans valves, pistons, and combustion chamber by dripping cleaner into intakemanifold with car idling. produces some strange ex. gasses, especially when revved expelling deposits. 10's are also sensitive to oil level and overfilling due to small crankcase volume. common for big bore 10 to puke oil into breather. are you overfilled, what level is bike sitting at on stand? my bike had 33k and valve seals were very pliable, had good tension on stem, and wiped oil perfectly. ck ur oil level, run your cleaner on thru, run thru the gears and i believe ur problem will disappear.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's probably the cleaner. It says for up to 25 gal and you added a full bottle to a 4.5 gal tank. You should have added 1/3 max of the bottle, not the whole thing. Duh.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Seafoam creates some angry smoke clouds when run on larger engines. I've never run it through my 10 but at 16k she runs perfectly with no smoke or anything. I haven't thought of running a cleaner through it yet since everything looks solid.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
also realize that when you blip the throttle, you are making power when the throttle is open, but when closed, and the engine is coasting down, there is significant vacume generated in the cylinder at points of the combustion cycle. if there is oil anywhere in the system (under the upper ring, or accumulated on the valves, or in the breather... this will give you puffs of smoke. Normally you don't see it because you are on the bike, and normally any excess oil will burn off during your first coast down to a stop sign when the bike is warm... but you can see puffs giving it the revs on the stand.

understand that this can also be water vapor from moisture in the header if the bike isn't up to temp. or small amounts of water in the fuel giving you puffs of steam (rather then smoke).

you can put your hand in it, far enough away that you don't get burned, and then smell it. tells you a bunch of things... if you do have oil leak by you will not only smell it, you will feel it, your hand will feel oily. if it's water, you won't smell the oil, it will smell like exhaust, but if you have a coolent leak into the combustion area, you will smell antifreeze or burnt antifreeze...

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
stem seals can go any time...I had some go on an older bike before a cpl thou k..OOORRRRR you might be running royal purple oil in yer engine and its throwin up..

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
WHY did you add the whole bottle??? :dontknow: your killin' me

·
Registered
685 Posts
Its just smoke from the Lucas and it won't hurt anything. I did this before on purpose and my bike was fine after that tank of gas.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. One bottle treats UP TO 25 gallons and it works better at higher concentrations. I'll run this tank out and report back.
As far as oil level goes, it's 3-4mm below the upper mark. I was concerned as I had just completed an oil change and uploaded a different fuel map.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts