Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to get my regulator replaced do to the recall on my 08. Figured since it will be in the shop I might as well get my oil changed and my state inspection renewed. They are trying to charge me $76. for a K&N oil filter, tried talking me out of a high flow filter and completely forgot about ordering my rectifier.

Bad customer service is a pet peeve of mine.:headshake

Do oil filters cost that much out here in TX? Told the guy at the parts dept I'd call him back. He then dropped $20. on the filter. Still told him I'd call him back. Terrible. There's more, but enough for now....:headshake

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
oil filters are abt $12 and my K&N was i think $60

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I paid MUCH less for my last K&N filter in N.C..:dontknow: Anyway, what also pissed me off was the guy tried talking me out of the oil I usually use (Amsoil synthetic). This was irritating also. I know what my bike likes.:lol:

Know this kind of sounds petty and maybe I shouldn't have had a couple beers with my lunch today.:dontknow: Would anyone else be frustrated with this? Not to mention I was on hold so long I almost fell asleep while waiting.

Coming from the service industry I completely respect it...I don't typically complain... Oh well....

Anyone have suggestions on where to take my bike in the Houston area? This shouldn't be so difficult.

·
Judge Dredd Mod
9,188 Posts
A genuine DUCATI oil filter hand made by a wise little old man in Bologna packed in gold and shipped by Space shuttle to my Ducati dealer in Austin only cost me $24. I think you need a new dealer.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A genuine DUCATI oil filter hand made by a wise little old man in Bologna packed in gold and shipped by Space shuttle to my Ducati dealer in Austin only cost me $24. I think you need a new dealer.
Haha. Haven't brought it there yet. And looking for an alternative or suggestion. Houston seems like a big "bike town" so I'm thinking this is possible. If I didn't need the recall or the state inspection I wouldn't even deal with a dealer.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can order a K&N Oil Filter on their site for something like $12 with free shipping. Their air filters are pretty pricey, but the oil filters are cheap. Kick him in the ballz

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Depending on how much they charge, you don't have to get inspection done at a dealer. I get my moto inspections at jiffy lube.

And FWIW, I wouldn't ever pay anyone to change my oil, unless I was on the road far away from home and didn't have a way to do it myself

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depending on how much they charge, you don't have to get inspection done at a dealer. I get my moto inspections at jiffy lube.

And FWIW, I wouldn't ever pay anyone to change my oil, unless I was on the road far away from home and didn't have a way to do it myself

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Didn't know that, I'll probably take it there. And yea, usually change mine too. Thanks for the info., I like to avoid dealers when at all possible!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,545 Posts
They want $76 just for the filter? I'm lost. That's probably not accurate. Are you sure that wasn't the entire cost for the change? Oil, filter , and labor to do it? $15-$20 for a filter, $30 for synthetic oil, and a 1/2 hour of labor and you're near that price. I think you may have misunderstood him. :dontknow:

If not, that's considered rape in most states. I'd have blown my rape whistle at the guy if he wants $76 for an oil filter.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
They want $76 just for the filter? I'm lost. That's probably not accurate. Are you sure that wasn't the entire cost for the change? Oil, filter , and labor to do it? $15-$20 for a filter, $30 for synthetic oil, and a 1/2 hour of labor and you're near that price. I think you may have misunderstood him. :dontknow:

If not, that's considered rape in most states. I'd have blown my rape whistle at the guy if he wants $76 for an oil filter.
:iamwithstare you sure the dealer wasn't talking about a K&N Air Filter? you do know K&N makes Oil and Air Filters NO? ...:dontknow:

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,368 Posts

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Didn't know that, I'll probably take it there. And yea, usually change mine too. Thanks for the info., I like to avoid dealers when at all possible!
Yea no prob man. I mean, you can do the inspection there, but if it's more than $15, I'd let them just do the recall and ride away like this :thefinger

If it was me, and they told me $76 for a K&N oil filter, I would have laughed.

What dealership did you call?

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Anyone have suggestions on where to take my bike in the Houston area? This shouldn't be so difficult.
No worries bro, this is not petty. They are ripping you off at that price.

Suggestions? Personally, I'd try to stay away from a dealership. Local shops also do recalls too man.

Are you on motohouston.com? There are multiple sponsors on that forum that can get you squared away, for a good (even discounted) price. Some are dealerships, and some aren't. Call around and see who else can take care of you.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I pay $14 for a normal, non chrome k&n oil filter here with no tax. You can packs of 3 on ebay for $42 shipped. They are really raping you.
Now a k&n air filter costs $50 max.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts