Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am STRUGGLING! right now to get my front sprocket off of my 06 zx10r. I have done front sprockets b4...why is this being such a bitch top remove? ANY help will be greatly appreciated

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I am STRUGGLING! right now to get my front sprocket off of my 06 zx10r. I have done front sprockets b4...why is this being such a bitch top remove? ANY help will be greatly appreciated
do a search, many will say use an Air tool, some swear like myself a breaker bar is all that is needed...the main thing remember it's a normal thread, be in neutral gear and rear brake tight,and the Washer is bent back flush...good luck will be going through that next week but don't think I will have a problem what so ever now that I have done it a few times on the 10 but my setup is different as I have a hydrolic lift and it's a little easier, so like I said do a search and see if you can find members that have suggestions on your setup...which means of course you need to give your setup or what your trying :heyyou:. :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright will try...but i am merely trying to get the stock sprocket off, idk i will let you know how it goes

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
25 gallon tank plus snap on impact gun...nada!

You should be able to get it with that, what kinda FT LBS of torque is your impact rated for? you will need at least a 400-500lbs gun I would think. I had to borrow a high end Ingersol Rand, when my cheapo would not budge it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
idk what it was rated but i got it from my mechanic friend and it was pretty strong. Me and my buddy went out there wit a big ass breaker bar and plenty of pb blaster and heavy pressure on the rear break n still nothin. Could it of been crossthreaded from the factory??? Cuz this is really obscene. im bout to order a new nut and cut that thing off cuz im totally frustrated.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
idk what it was rated but i got it from my mechanic friend and it was pretty strong. Me and my buddy went out there wit a big ass breaker bar and plenty of pb blaster and heavy pressure on the rear break n still nothin. Could it of been crossthreaded from the factory??? Cuz this is really obscene. im bout to order a new nut and cut that thing off cuz im totally frustrated.

Don't cut it, thats just a disaster waiting to happen.

Is your impact old? If it is, you probably have lost a good deal of efficiency from it, I would use the Lowes Rental Plan first before cutting (buy tool and then take it back when your done) they have a 500-750 ft lbs IR there I almost bought but its like 179$, buy that baby try it and see if that will get er done. Also what about your compressor?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright, i may try renting a tool from lowes or home cheapo, lol. the compressor was 25 gallons and brand new. i just find it rediculous that it is this difficult. I just wanna get this whole projrct done n over with

·
Registered
251 Posts
I put a 32mm impact socket over the nut and tapped it gently with a hammer until the washer was absolutely flat, I soaked the nut overnight in releasing fluid, not WD40 or similar, and used a 3/4" drive 1000mm breaker bar. I sat on the bike, held the rear brake on with my foot and firmly leaned on the breaker bar until it started to loosen. It took a couple of good pushes before it finally let go.

·
Registered
198 Posts
sprocket

I don't know if you got it off yet. I tried to take mine off also and I was unable to. Some people are fortunate to have an impact to do it. I was not. I do not weigh enough to beable to do it. I was working on it at a friends house. I left it there for a day and while I was gone. He did it. He is about 275 lbs. It is supposed to be about 92 foot lbs of torque. It sure did not feel like it. I think its because the sprocket heats up causing the nut to stick. Anyway I hope you get it done. I havent tried it yet cause it started to snow again. good luck

·
Registered
198 Posts
Along with his bike. Mine was also made on a friday. There is no way in hell that the nut on mine was only torqued at 92 lbs. I torqued the nut back on at 92 and felt it was not enough so I gave it 20 more.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally got the thing off bout a half hour ago. Friend of mine came by with a stronger impact gun and I have been sprayin pb blaster on it. 1st try the thing spun right off. FINALLY I can move on to the rest now. Thx for all the help. Oh and I talked to a cpl shops and they said some 10r's and 14's have this problem so don't feel to bad if you are struggling like I was.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I finally got the thing off bout a half hour ago. Friend of mine came by with a stronger impact gun and I have been sprayin pb blaster on it. 1st try the thing spun right off. FINALLY I can move on to the rest now. Thx for all the help. Oh and I talked to a cpl shops and they said some 10r's and 14's have this problem so don't feel to bad if you are struggling like I was.
Many since 04 have had issue like yourself but eventually manged to remove it either themselves or by a shop.

BD

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea 92lbs my A**, but the shop really wasn't an option because I have it torn apart and on both stands still. But if that aint work I would chopped that thang off!!!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I always used a 1/4" ratchet with extension:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts