Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF, I just did my second oil change with filter at this mileage mark as part of the 600 mile check.
Used 15-50wt Motorex semi synth oil.
Fired it up to check level.
Topped it off to upper mark in sight glass.
Adjusted chain, check body work fastners.
Washed and detailed it.
Took it out for a test spin, and the flippin trans got stuck in third gear.
Going to the dealer tommorow for warranty work.
Am I just one lucky SOB, or has this happened to any other 06 owners?
I did not abuse the bike or do any shifting without using the clutch.
Everything seemed to be working just fine up until this point.........so:dontknow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
The bike might not like that kind of oil. Try just the regular Kawi oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
I really don't think the brand of oil will make any bike stick in third gear. You have some problem for sure. Keep us updated and let us know what it is. Doesn't sound good.

I have always heard you should stay away form synth. oils even if it is a blend for the first 2500 miles or so. It causes problem with break in.

Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manual says use 10w40wt oil.
with my first oil change at 200mi mark I used Valvoline racing 20w50 wt oil.
It seemed to work fine, I suppose I could dump the oil and try another brand.
Seems pretty suspect to be that sensitive to oil brands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tuzem said:
wow. that does suck! Keep us updated! Is your shift linkage ok? Mine broke one day.

-nick
Shift linkage looks fine, has tension, Just wont engage any gear other than the one it is in.
Broken shift drum?:dontknow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna need to split the cases

Took to the local dealer.
They can not find anything visably (duhhh somtin's broke inside) wrong.
Told me I need to OK them to pull the engine and split the cases to see WTF is broke in the trans / shifting mechanisim.
Fookin catch 22 here folks, Once they find out what broke they call Kawasaki and then Kawasaki will say fix under warranty or nope was abuse sooooo tuff chit buyer.

I asked to be notified when they have the motor apart and I want to see what failed. I also asked to have the names and telephone numbers of the Kawasaki warranty reps so I can speak with them directly should they try to deny this warranty claim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
pmizx10r06 said:
Took to the local dealer.
They can not find anything visably (duhhh somtin's broke inside) wrong.
Told me I need to OK them to pull the engine and split the cases to see WTF is broke in the trans / shifting mechanisim.
Fookin catch 22 here folks, Once they find out what broke they call Kawasaki and then Kawasaki will say fix under warranty or nope was abuse sooooo tuff chit buyer.

I asked to be notified when they have the motor apart and I want to see what failed. I also asked to have the names and telephone numbers of the Kawasaki warranty reps so I can speak with them directly should they try to deny this warranty claim.

Man, what a rip-off... it sux that you buy a new bike and it breaks right away! Mine has been in the shop for nearly 3 weeks now over a leaky fork seal. I've had great luck with warranty tho. I am sure you will to.

Those are situations where having 2+ bikes helps :)

-Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are situations where having 2+ bikes helps :)

-Nick[/QUOTE]
Got 2 others as well. Thats is whats keeping me from going freakin balistic about this situation.
Still sucks to have a new toy that you can't play with though.:sad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah sorry, but I tried all of that.
Bike was running and I was ridding it when it got stuck in third gear.
No up shifting or down shifting.
Had to slip clutch and ride it back to my home (luckly only a couple of blocks) in the only gear I had (third).
 

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
Joined
·
4,368 Posts
I have had warranty work done a lot of different ZX sport bikes and NEVER had a problem as long as it was not from a visible crash n such. a new bike having this problem so soon, most dealers at least the ones I go to word the problem in a way to make sure its covered, after all they do want your business!, seals going bad, once a CDI went bad, etc.

if they don't cover it you can always go to another Kawi, make sure you are friends withe mech's or managers in such, that always helps :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Static IP said:
I have had warranty work done a lot of different ZX sport bikes and NEVER had a problem as long as it was not from a visible crash n such. a new bike having this problem so soon, most dealers at least the ones I go to word the problem in a way to make sure its covered, after all they do want your business!, seals going bad, once a CDI went bad, etc.

if they don't cover it you can always go to another Kawi, make sure you are friends withe mech's or managers in such, that always helps :)
The dealers like warranty work because Kawi pays them well... they just want to make sure they get their money! Can't really blame them.

My dealer took a shift linkage off the floor model and put it on mine after it broke on me on the first month I owned the bike. Other dealers would have made me wait weeks...

-nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
tuzem said:
The dealers like warranty work because Kawi pays them well... they just want to make sure they get their money! Can't really blame them.


-nick
Wrong! It's the exact opposite! Dealerships want to make money and warranty work doesn't make the dealerships or the techs squat. The manufacturers pay very little for warranty work! First off, the manufacturers pay absolutely nothing for diagnosis time in most cases, so the tech already starts off in the hole! Then most of the warranty labor times are break even at best, so that means the techs and the dealerships lose money because it takes them longer to repair than they're getting paid for. Also the dealerships(not the manufacturers) have to eat the cost of any and all fluids and oils. Dealerships and techs hate warranty work for the most part. A dealership could not, would not survive on warranty work alone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Really? The reason I said all that is because just hours before my post here I spoke with a guy at the Kawasaki shop who told me "kawasaki pays us well, we want to work on your bike". Where do you get your info? Maybe my guy is a moron.

Oh, and my Triumph tech was a friend. All he did on warranty work is issue the invoice to Triumph, not me. Same dollar amount seemed like... at least that's what I thought?


-Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
I've been a tech for about 4 years and know what a PITA warranty work can be! Unfortunately, Kawasaki is one of the worst to get things covered under warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
WTtoolman said:
I've been a tech for about 4 years and know what a PITA warranty work can be! Unfortunately, Kawasaki is one of the worst to get things covered under warranty.
There goes a naive custmer (me)... Honestly, i don't really give a damn as long as my bike performs upto spec and/or gets fixed fast :)

Thanks for the insight...


-Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WTtoolman said:
I've been a tech for about 4 years and know what a PITA warranty work can be! Unfortunately, Kawasaki is one of the worst to get things covered under warranty.
I was a VW line tech for 7+ years and I also know what a PITA warranty work can be, not to mention recalls.

I have, unfortunatly had bad luck with Kawasaki and warranty claims in the past.

I got so ticked off with my last go round with Kawasaki warranty on a sport bike that I have stayed away from a new Kawasaki for over 14 years and have only owned one other Kawai since 1991.

A used 2003 Z1000 which restored my faith enough in the brand to give them another try.

I am sure that as long as I stay cool and make my point as far as following proper break-in, it should be covered.

It was a very sudden failure too, no indication (grinding noises, extra effort required to shift, etc) of any problem before it happened.

I should know something this week form the dealership as far as what is broken inside the motor.

The best experience I have had with warranty issues has been with my 2004 Ducati and I feel it is more so the dealership I bought the Ducati from than from Ducati themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
They should be able to drop the engine as well as check and/or replace the shift drum, forks etc without having to split the cases. They only need to do that if they need to pull one of the two shafts out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
I was told by a very good friend that he also looses his rear on warranty work as well. he told me the manufacturers rate a job by how long it should take to fix the problem less diagnosis then they pay a set amount for the job performed. If it is not covered by warranty you still pay the 55.00 diagnosis fee. At least thats what they charge. and if it is covered you pay nothing of coarse.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top