Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with everyone upgrading to the 2016. Anybody have a set of 11-15 Captive Spacer for sale?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Pretty sure the rears would be the same for the 11-15 as well as the 2016 bike. Fronts may be different for the gen5, but front wheels are easier to R&R than the rears for me. I have to pull the rear wheel off twice as often as the front. I got a set of captive spacers and caliper bracket from Fast Frank Racing. I just put it all together on Saturday and it was much easier to reassemble than using the stock parts. No spacers fell out, the caliper bracket couldn't fall out of alignment.

I had my head up my ass for about 15 minutes trying to figure out how it was supposed to go back together before I realized that I needed to take the chain guard off for the tire to fit past the caliper. Duh.:headshake:

I got mine here. Kawasaki ZX10

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty sure the rears would be the same for the 11-15 as well as the 2016 bike. Fronts may be different for the gen5, but front wheels are easier to R&R than the rears for me. I have to pull the rear wheel off twice as often as the front. I got a set of captive spacers and caliper bracket from Fast Frank Racing. I just put it all together on Saturday and it was much easier to reassemble than using the stock parts. No spacers fell out, the caliper bracket couldn't fall out of alignment.

I had my head up my ass for about 15 minutes trying to figure out how it was supposed to go back together before I realized that I needed to take the chain guard off for the tire to fit past the caliper. Duh.:headshake:

His kit is so expensive.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Do you think the captive caliper with wheel guide is worth the extra $50? Being able to to hold the wheel without the axle would be pretty awesome.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm happy with the purchase. To me, it was worth the cost.

I've had more than one instance where I needed to get the bike back together quickly and was getting very frustrated with the caliper bracket and the wheel spacers falling out of alignment. I'm talking about racing and track days. For street use, where a tire lasts for a month or more, I don't think it's worthwhile. If you regularly ride on slicks and have to switch to DOT tires for a superstock class, it's worth it. If you race or do track days in the rain and keep a set rain tires handy, its worth it. If you don't normally change tires at the track, it's probably not worth the cost unless you get aggravated easily while changing your tires.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
....if anyone can get me the dimensions/drawing, I'll whip you out a set in 7075 for shipping/beer money. Turning a few sets of those on the lathe would be good stress relief.

Anodizing is on you, though, if you want it. :)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could make some money off of those if you got your hands on a set.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Not looking to make money off the forum members... just enough to cover material/shipping/beer. I like helping folks out.... and I happen to have a 12x36 and bridgeport in the garage. :) Offer stands if anyone has a set they're willing to let me measure... any gen and I'll comp the shipping or a free set. :)

Here in the next few months I may start anodizing stuff.... I'll look to make a little more money off that once I get it dialed in. But I've done conversion spacers before out of 7075 for a few 'tards..... harder than Japanese arithmetic (for aluminum, anyway)... no need to anodize them unless you plan on really beating on them. I tend to mirror polish aluminum if it's not getting anodized...... I think that's more of a neurotic habit on my part to be honest. ;)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
I have a set from my gen 3. They won't fit the gen 4 due to the differences in the axle. I should be able to get them measured out for you.

I kind of found these to be a pita. You have to remove them to balance the wheel. Removing them usually popped the spring out of seal. So it was more effort than they were worth most of the time.

But I'll do what I can to offer up some details on them and might be interested myself in a set.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a set from my gen 3. They won't fit the gen 4 due to the differences in the axle. I should be able to get them measured out for you.

I kind of found these to be a pita. You have to remove them to balance the wheel. Removing them usually popped the spring out of seal. So it was more effort than they were worth most of the time.

But I'll do what I can to offer up some details on them and might be interested myself in a set.
My tire guy balances my wheel with them in

·
Registered
2,929 Posts

Sure thing.... I guess if there's enough interest I can get some extra material and have it on standby.... never hurts to have surplus round stock in my book. It gets cheaper to do the more you want... up to about 4' lengths.

If you don't have access to precision measuring tools you can always send 'em my way too... I'll draw them up in autoCAD and send 'em right back to you.

EDIT: What is the largest OD for the biggest spacer ya'll have? I'd like to get a head start on ordering the round stock if I can. :) I hate waiting on materials when I have work in hand. :)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Track side tire guy will too.... damn drug pushers. :badteeth:
Yea but you just spent 400+ on tires from them. They got you on the other end. I buy take offs from professional racers so I get a good deal.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts