Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When riding in large groups and there is a hazard ahead (someone dumped it, cars are stopped or traffic is slowing), I've noticed that people start lifting their left arm as if they were making a right hand turn.

Who came up with this idea? Don't you think it'd confuse everyone? That doesn't mean stop, it means... RIGHT TURN! :headshake

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Ya but I dont know any one that uses hand signals if you have a brake light , or if you are in a spec ops team in the jungle being quiet.

·
The Pace
6,986 Posts
I hardly ever ride group stuff, but sometimes catch a fast noob rider that I'm sceered to pass (visualize very tight twist stuff with small straights. If catch a seasoned rider, they just wave me past, like everyone, np, but noobs take awhile to figure this out). So I'm like stuck off pace now. Just about every time this happens, a fast rider comes up behind and I let him pass me, but now we are BOTH stuck behind the noob as he, too, is sceered to pass the noob!

So. The guys that passes me, always seasoned, have their own warning code worked out. Some lower a leg on the side of the problem, like gravel. Some lower their left arm to show sudden slow down.

My thing is that it's up to me to guess what the sigs mean. Just stay back far enough to that I don't hit him.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just watching some videos of groups of people stuntin' and it made me want to post... I've seen it here in Dallas if I get caught up in the groups during bike night. When I get stuck behind all those dill-holes, I usually exit or navigate my way past them.

But yeah, it's something I've seen in person and on videos. I've always wondered about it because the basic hand signals don't change from driving a car to hopping on a motorcycle.

I wouldn't say it's a regional thing because the video I was watching was from NY... But I've seen it in California and Washington State as well.

I should also note that all of the experienced riders I've known... do NOT do this. If they need to slow, the typical hand gester has been to pat the air down by your knee with your left hand. Just like waiving someone past you, you wave them with your left hand.

I commute daily on my bike and use hand signals all the time when changing/merging lanes.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Must be a regional thing. Around here, we put our left hand out and down, like you're patting a dogs head sitting next to you. Seems to get the message across.
same around here

Here u go Squidward, these should clarify something

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always enjoyed that video. :)

My fav. part is, "And when you're in front of the person..." lol - he's all backwards on the seat.

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
Left hand pointing left.... left turn

left hand up with thumb pointing right... right turn.

left hand patting the top of your helmet... Popo ahead/warning/danger/caution

left hand up, middle finger pointing up... what the phuck were you thinking?

thats what I've been taught.

left hand down, palm pointing backwards... stopping or slowing... but that was for bicycles...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

left hand down, palm pointing backwards... stopping or slowing... but that was for bicycles...
Well, if you want to do it the correct way, Rifleman. Around here people use the "lock up back tire" signal for slowing. That usually gets the point across. :eek:ccasion1

·
Boomer Sooner!
2,337 Posts

I didn't know about the tap your helmet thing. I'm going to start using that! Like the middle finger one!

·
The Pace
6,986 Posts
yeah, when there's a fookin cow standing in the road and if I have on coming whatever, I just pat the air-slow-down thing. They'll see what I'm talking about.

You guys would not believe the stuff I see on my loop. Coolest loop in the world, but ya can't be a nappin.

So, right now, I'm dodging fookin tarantulas. Yes, tarantulas males are a lookin for gf and they just cross the road a-lookin. Easy to see as they look like a walking leaf, or whatever.

I swear like every three or four months I dodge the SAME box turtle! so funny.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I didn't know about the tap your helmet thing. I'm going to start using that! Like the middle finger one!
2 of my favorite signals lol. Police and fook u! :badteeth:

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
yeah, when there's a fookin cow standing in the road and if I have on coming whatever, I just pat the air-slow-down thing. They'll see what I'm talking about.

You guys would not believe the stuff I see on my loop. Coolest loop in the world, but ya can't be a nappin.

So, right now, I'm dodging fookin tarantulas. Yes, tarantulas males are a lookin for gf and they just cross the road a-lookin. Easy to see as they look like a walking leaf, or whatever.

I swear like every three or four months I dodge the SAME box turtle! so funny.
I've hit a Phesant, June bugs SUCK, like someone shooting marbles at you out of a wrist rocket...

heaven't hit a deer.... yet.... I do alot of "cornfield canyons" (2 lane country road with high standing corn on both sides) Most of them are straight so you can see whats ahead, but 2 or three are nice and twisty, keep them eyes open and wits about you.

dodging tarantulas, OMG, we had the 17 year cicada about 3 or 4 years ago, so many got hit on I-55 it was like the road was covered with snot, the rear end was spinning up just going in a straight line...

I'm sure this is stuff that people in the Esclades never think of

·
Registered
266 Posts
Left hand off controls in to indicate to people behind you that you are slower than they are and to look for hazards. Come to a track day and it makes sense. :) Out on the street, however; it would make more sense to simply flash the brake lights. :shrug:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Left hand off controls in to indicate to people behind you that you are slower than they are and to look for hazards. Come to a track day and it makes sense. :) Out on the street, however; it would make more sense to simply flash the brake lights. :shrug:
This is the exact answer I was looking for. I have seen it on track videos recently too...

I'll be starting my track days soon; once my bike is done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Good vid, educational and humerous.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My wife and I have been over the signals but the ones we don't use is the "slow down, hazard ahead" because we both have a set of eyes. Oh yeah and I think we might have brake lights as well but I'm not 100% on that. lol.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
After Sundays ride up the mountain, the most common used signals popped up again. 1, head-tap because popo. 2, thumbs up because no popo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts