Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
starting to get excited...

its that time of the year again...
wrestling begins tuesday nov 01 for the high schol kids...
begins jan 24th for the middle schoolers...

been coaching for 4 years now and its been great for staying in shape and a good form of community service...
i've started training for mixed martial arts(think U.F.C.) with a neighbor as well, he teaches me submission and strikes and i teach him stand-up...
these sports are great, lots of local guys do this... wondering if forum members do this sort of thing as well...

me, i was just o.k. at high school and limited J.C. wrestling... record was 100 wins 54 defeats...
if you do competitive martial arts, wrestling or UFC related training, you know how hard this sort of training is...

anyhow, post your records or involvement(grade school, high school, any NCAA guys here???) martial arts competitions(belts and disciplines),favorite moves etc...any other coaches???...always looking for others interested in this sort of thing...

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Practiced Hap Ki Do for years. Lost interest after I got out of the military. Went through a party boy stage. ...yet another thing on the long "need to get back in" list.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I took 5 yrs in Karate. From when I was young, till I started playin other sports...

Ive boxed my whole life, but no formal training.

I've trained some with a Judo National Champion, Black belt...thats a humbling experience f'sho!...:eek:

I started taking Jiu Jitsu and doing that I was helping train a 235lb 6'5 UFC guy...hes good...when I was training he never lost a match...:eek: again

I went just for the jiu jitsu to learn floor combat...It was fun...but very technical...Well after you add punches and kicks with jiu jitsu it starts getting pretty interesting...

I ended up quiting Jiu Jitsu so I could afford the new ZX-10R...Cant say that I regret it, but after my racing "career" is done, I'll definatly get back into it.

I dont have any yerning to do it at a competiion...but just for my self...

What I think Ive really learned in doing all my martial arts and self defence training is this...

Most of the folks that run their mouth cant back it up...

Many of the times you see a soft hand, baby face guy...He can beat you up.

It tought me to do my best to avoid a confrontation because you never know what someone else knows until your already involved, and then its too late to back out.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
hillcountry10r said:

It tought me to do my best to avoid a confrontation because you never know what someone else knows until your already involved, and then its too late to back out.
I'll "werd" that too. Best to avoid the confrontation than regret it. The street isn't as forgiving as the mat/ring.

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
I trained for 4 years in a mixed martial arts system, including Kadgamala Karate, Kyokushinkai Karate, Muy Thai, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, and a few others thrown in there. Got to train with Gene LeBell and Gokor a few times too, that was lots of fun.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just High school wrestling for me so far. Placed 4th, 2nd, and 1st at state tourney in WI. Did a little jiu jitsu training at local gym. Am looking to get involved with the local high school program--maybe assistant assistant coaching. I agree with not getting fights, unless it's a mutual decision, and it helps to be in a controlled environment. Congrats on being 38-0 in the bar! :eek:ccasion1

By the way getting the hell choked out of me and not wanting to give up made for a hard transition from wrestling to submission moves...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I trained in Budokan Karate for about 8 years, about 4 times per week, competed all the time throughout in BKA championships and what not, stopped grading after my 1st Dan; then trained in Muay Thai for about 3 years, didn't bother with my arm bands, just trained hard, and did interclubs, 3 round full contact (European rules) bouts. Also trained in Krav maga for about 8 or 9 months.
Mostly do gym works and C.V training over the last few months, after becoming a qualified fitness instructor, missing the Martial arts loads, but my bones and joints need to recover for a while, hate the idea of being full off arthritis by the time I'm 30!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yup the good old younger days :mrgreen: I took Shotokahn all through jr high and high school. It was cool in that the sensei taught us a lot of Akido & J.K.D. Good times 4 sure!!

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
btw, :ttiwwop:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Afterburner said:
I'm a Green Belt in Jiu-Jitsu.
i LOVE jiu-jitsu!!!... seems like a natural extension of wrestling...only worked with two different guys BUT i noticed that they have superior use of holding on with their toes...great ground game!!...

on a side note, in wrestling, i cant catch my breath since i'm fighting to stay off my back, but in jui-jitsu, its reccomended you are on your back, al a the GUARD!!...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
miykl said:
Practiced Hap Ki Do for years. Lost interest after I got out of the military. Went through a party boy stage. ...yet another thing on the long "need to get back in" list.
MIYKL...o.k. kinda caught me off guard with this one...although i've heard of hap ki do i havent had any experience with the guys who do it...i found a cool website for the world hap ki do assoc with a great history section... been around for a couple thousand years(suprise, suprise) in asia , more pointedly from korea... would guess that it focuses on strikes/kicks like tai kwan do... related??? anyhow, maybe you can drop by a dojo on the way to taco bell...j/k...

goes to show that you can learn something new everyday... thanks for the postup and hopefully you can get thru your evergrowing list and get back on the mat!!...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hillcountry10r said:
I took 5 yrs in Karate. From when I was young, till I started playin other sports...

Ive boxed my whole life, but no formal training.

I've trained some with a Judo National Champion, Black belt...thats a humbling experience f'sho!...:eek:

I started taking Jiu Jitsu and doing that I was helping train a 235lb 6'5 UFC guy...hes good...when I was training he never lost a match...:eek: again

I went just for the jiu jitsu to learn floor combat...It was fun...but very technical...Well after you add punches and kicks with jiu jitsu it starts getting pretty interesting...

I ended up quiting Jiu Jitsu so I could afford the new ZX-10R...Cant say that I regret it, but after my racing "career" is done, I'll definatly get back into it.

I dont have any yerning to do it at a competiion...but just for my self...

What I think Ive really learned in doing all my martial arts and self defence training is this...

this is cool Hill...
my guess is that your one of the quite types...
wow, who is the UFC guy if you dont mind???
the kid i do submission with did Kempo(sp) karate for years so striking is his strong point...

i agree with you that with MMA(UFC) style training things get interesting real fast...my pal taught me not to give up my back or he would do a rear naked choke and i would go ....errrr... well.... hmmmmm....dim... lights out....

i also agree that the quiet guys are the ones to look out for... used to have a little (130 lbs or so) guy who did jui jitsu and he would work stand up with us... very quiet and unassuming... occasionally he would let out a grunt and someone much larger would go FLYING!!...eventually the room would look everytime we heard him grunt... kinda funny...

one thing that i'd like to add was the very disturbing fact that SIZE MATTERS...i wrestled a friend who weighs 285(plenty of guys in the 230-250 lb range, but this stuck out to me) and he layed on top of me (180 lbs, myself) and i couldnt fuggen move...very disheartening to go thru life until my early 30's thinking that technique could make up for size, but the problem is greater size with technique is dangerous...used to get in fights (we all did, i'm sure) and i would look for it...not any more(actually stopped looking for it years before)... i wanna live!!!... really tho, that was a bitter pill to swallow...it doesnt make it impossible to work out with a superior sized opponent, but yeah, be very careful and make sure they are your friend... right???

as far as actual fights with someone that size... hmmmm... get a stick/brick/gun... or even better avoid the situation and when you cant, be man enough to back down in the face of superior firepower so to speak...

its neat to see the other interests you have!!!...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stephan said:
Just High school wrestling for me so far. Placed 4th, 2nd, and 1st at state tourney in WI. Did a little jiu jitsu training at local gym. Am looking to get involved with the local high school program--maybe assistant assistant coaching. I agree with not getting fights, unless it's a mutual decision, and it helps to be in a controlled environment. Congrats on being 38-0 in the bar! :eek:ccasion1

By the way getting the hell choked out of me and not wanting to give up made for a hard transition from wrestling to submission moves...
WOW!!! wisconsin??? thats great... one of the best wrestlers in the area went to wisconsin when schultz coached there...two years under a national champion!!(my friend never got to go varsity so to speak)...this guy is 38 and regularly kicks ass with the Stanford wrestlers...

coaching is fun... hope you can land a position!!...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ara said:
I trained for 4 years in a mixed martial arts system, including Kadgamala Karate, Kyokushinkai Karate, Muy Thai, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, and a few others thrown in there. Got to train with Gene LeBell and Gokor a few times too, that was lots of fun.
o.k., your a stud too!!!
heard of gene lebell, but not gokor, who is he??....
we are thinking of muy thai for striking in the near future...
i think chuck liddell had some muy thai belts in the past... correct me if i'm wrong...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts