Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
assuming its never been dropped, is it a good deal? would u buy a used helmet? brand new i think they're like 400 bucks. i really dislike my multi-colored HJC i have right now, and want something else.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hmm i dunno, it looks scratched up a good bit, they can be dropped and not be cracked and still damage the helmet enough to not protect your head like it should. Not to mention helmets tend to absorb your sweat among other things and also a helmet's inner liner tends to mold itself to the shape of your head.

Me personally I wouldnt buy a used one no matter what but thats me, you are the one thats gonna be wearing it so you tell me....

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
As far as I know I only have 1 head & brain...No way I'll wear a cheapo

$ 150.00 helmet :headshake

·
Registered
258 Posts
GreenMachine666 said:
Hmm i dunno, it looks scratched up a good bit, they can be dropped and not be cracked and still damage the helmet enough to not protect your head like it should. Not to mention helmets tend to absorb your sweat among other things and also a helmet's inner liner tends to mold itself to the shape of your head.

Me personally I wouldnt buy a used one no matter what but thats me, you are the one thats gonna be wearing it so you tell me....

:+1:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
When it comes to accidents or impacts, helmets are a one time use type of item. Those minor dings and scratches could be indications of impacts. I have bought used helmets on Ebay but they were spotless and I have gotten great deals on terrific helmets. I would not buy this one, however.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I will never ever ever ever buy a used helmet, ESPECIALLY one from a complete stranger on ebay. If you're on a limited budget, there are plenty of inexpensive helmets at your local dealer that will protect your head just fine. Get something with a history that you are absolutely certain of. IE: a NEW one!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
ok do not buy used helmets. lets put it this way would you protect your cock with a used condom? no i didnt think so. protect your other brain with a good new helmet. if you want a good, somewhat, cheap helmet get an icon. Icon's hold up pretty well and they fit good. good thing about them they are made in the good old USA. just my 2cents. plus that shoei on the side looks :gay:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Nosferatu said:
I will never ever ever ever buy a used helmet, ESPECIALLY one from a complete stranger on ebay. If you're on a limited budget, there are plenty of inexpensive helmets at your local dealer that will protect your head just fine. Get something with a history that you are absolutely certain of. IE: a NEW one!
:+1:

·
Registered
152 Posts
my 1st helmet was a used helmet, and i only found out when i went to buy a new one that the one i was using was a size too big. i could pull the front down and talk out of where the sheild is. so i really liked getting a new helmet so i could have one that fit. another thing is that all helmets fit differently even in the same brand, different model's sizes fit differently. it is always best to try things on before you invest money in something that you may end up stuck with. i would suggest getting one from cycle gear because they have the 30 day helmet exchange policy so you can find what works best for you. and they have moto-credit so you dont actually have to spend real money right then. (can you tell i used to work there?)

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,738 Posts
used helmets.. eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww!
i mean like God Damn.. esp on ebay..
u guys dont know what kinda shit those have been in too..
have some decency to yourself.. get a new one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Used helmet? No chance. Only thing enticing about that helmet is the fact it's made by Shoei. I personally am not big into logos so the first thing I do when I buy a new helmet is peel off the brand sticker. Just bought a new black HJC CL-15. Looks much better without the logo.

If you gotta have the big dog name like Shoei or Arai, you're probably gonna have to shell out some dough. But if you can live with a non-big dog brand, there are some killer deals on the net. For instance, check out the clearance page at NewEnough.com. They're practically giving away brand new, discontinued Icon and HJC helmets for about $50. They're great helmets in my opinion. (And no, I am not affiliated with NewEnough in any way other than being a satisfied customer.)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shenanigans said:
lets put it this way would you protect your cock with a used condom? no i didnt think so
well if u put it that way, it IS pretty nasty. lol

thanks for the advice guys. i'll just keep looking...for new ones this time :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have never dropped a helmet and then tested it to failure. In fact, I'm not even sure how one would test a dropped helmet. Furthermore, I've never seen a test that involved a helmet that someone dropped. I also don't know anyone that is a helmet expert or even slightly knowlegeable about how dropping a helmet might affect protection. That includes the members of this site. Therefore, my opinion is totally pulled out of my ass like the rest here. But, I'd buy a new one because someone else's sweat is gross to me.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I guess I am the odd ball. I have bought a used helmet before and have sold several on ebay so there is a ton of people that dont mind buying them. The only way I would buy one is if its in excellent shape, practically new. I just bought a new one off ebay and got a hell of a deal so you could find a good deal if you look.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts