Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have full cover/ full comprehensive insurance on my bike. This is a statement from my insurance on my policy.

"Changes to exhaust system components - including fuel injection remapping, or carburettor rejetting are acceptable modifications."

"An aftermarket fuel injection computer (E.C.U.), an aftermarket fuel injector or a "mod chip" are not allowable modifications."

Question:
1. Is the Zeitronix Zt-3 Unit classified as a fuel injection computer/ mod chip? On the unit itself, it states it is a "Wideband Air/ Fuel Ratio Meter and Datalogging System."

2. Guys with Woolich Racing products, how did you handle it with your insurance company?

Should I just not tell them and rip it out if I ever do come off the bike? (Yes I realise this is insurance fraud).

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm pretty sure Woolich falls under:

"Changes to exhaust system components - including fuel injection remapping, or carburettor rejetting are acceptable modifications."

Of course like any claims adjuster would have a clue you remapped the bike :crackup:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Either way what's the point? Your comprehensive is for fire, theft, flood, vandalism. Your collision is for when you wreck the bike. At point does it matter if you have an aftermarket ecu?
Your insurance is not going to warranty your motor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Either way what's the point? Your comprehensive is for fire, theft, flood, vandalism. Your collision is for when you wreck the bike. At point does it matter if you have an aftermarket ecu?
Your insurance is not going to warranty your motor.
That's what I was thinking.. but on a related note I'm assuming this would void the factory warranty ?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
What insurance company is this?

You've left a lot out in the details of what's stated in the policy. The policy won't pay out extended coverage for non-approved modifications (ie- the cost of flashing the bike or related gear). But that typically has nothing to do with whether the bike is covered in the event of a loss.

You wrap your shiny new ride around a telephone pole at 80mph, they're going to pay the bike off at the value of the bike. They're not going to give you the value of the bike, plus $1500 for the Akrapovic exhaust and $700 because you had the Woolich auto-tune installed. That's not how the coverage works. And I think you've cut-n-pasted parts of your policy out of context here. They're not going to deny coverage on a collision claim based on a Power Commander being installed. They won't cover the cost of the Power Commander though.

Comprehensive is the same way. You got $18,000 invested in the bike because of your Akra exhaust, Woolich gear, GPS mounted to it, Sato rearsets, a Zero Gravity windscreen, Pazzo Levers, Puig Pro frame sliders, solo seat cowl, HID lights, swingarm extensions, etc. Your bike gets loaded into the back of a van in the middle of the night by 2 thugs and they're going to give you book value for the bike as if none of those fancy parts were ever put on it. So they're going to look at the depreciated value of the bike and give you $12,500 of something for it, not what you've spent on it and not what you necessarily owe the bank for it.

And yes, warranty can be voided by reflashing. As soon as you change out any part of the bike, they can deny a warranty claim. Doesn't mean they will, but they can.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Keep your receipts for all the parts. Progressive will determine what modifications are covered if you send them all the receipts for your parts. They won't cover labor of course....

·
Registered
578 Posts
Keep your receipts for all the parts. Progressive will determine what modifications are covered if you send them all the receipts for your parts. They won't cover labor of course....
not entirely true.

if you have documentation, some insurance companies will pay on additional items/accessories "IF", and this is A BIG IF, you purchase EE (extra equipment coverage) listed at your dollar amount of coverage, with receipt documentation. you choose the level and dollar amount you want covered for accessories.

with that said... most insurance companies wont reimburse for added performance enhancing modifications, chips, ecu, turbos, exhaust, intakes ect... inc but, not limited to labor to install these items.

your results may vary. Ski

·
Registered
685 Posts
not entirely true.

if you have documentation, some insurance companies will pay on additional items/accessories "IF", and this is A BIG IF, you purchase EE (extra equipment coverage) listed at your dollar amount of coverage, with receipt documentation. you choose the level and dollar amount you want covered for accessories.

with that said... most insurance companies wont reimburse for added performance enhancing modifications, chips, ecu, turbos, exhaust, intakes ect... inc but, not limited to labor to install these items.

your results may vary. Ski
Do you have Progressive insurance and filed a claim for a totalled/stolen bike? I specifically stated Progressive... I don't know what other insurance companies requirements are.

·
Registered
578 Posts
that's why I stated "not entirely true, and "some" insurance companies, and "your results may vary"

this make the readers, and the OP, do more research to verify what coverage's they have, as each insurance company has it's own limitations. and don't trust the agents word, get it in writing what is covered and what is not.

30 years in the collision industry, last 15 on the insurance side. Ski

1 - 10 of 10 Posts