Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the mistake of purchasing an ECU flash, after discussing with the company that I had a log box and wanted a decent flash baseline that I could use and then tweak with the log box to my specific bike and location. I had both an email inquiry mentioning use of the log box and tuning specifically, and included the log box with my list of modifications sent in with the ECU. At no point was I contacted with mention that I wouldn’t be able to apply any logbox suggestions, because the ECU would be password protected. After a phone conversation with said tuner, I was told to “just send the log box back and use our flash” “you don’t need to worry about that 2-3% trim”.

If you plan on using the woolich log box, I would not, under 99% of circumstances, send an ECU to be flashed by a company and expect them to actually allow you to use the log box. I would either buy the log box and find a local dyno to rent/help you tune yourself, or buy a canned flash and stick with that. I’m not trying to throw any shade, but I’d like to save someone some money after I’ve thrown $250 at a flash by a company that used ftecu, to decide I wanted to use woolich autotune software (because I liked the woolich autotune better, no fault of any company I just changed my mind), buy the autotune kit, then spend like $250 to have a company to reflash with woolich under the specific outline that I wanted to use the logbox, only for that to not be the case.

At the end of the day its buyer beware, and I should’ve just gone with the logbox and a local dyno in the first place (which is what I’ll ultimately end up doing) but hopefully my story is food for thought for anyone else out there looking to have their bike tuned.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,167 Posts
Most people who buy that stuff don't do both. They either mail it and forget it, or buy the kit to tune it themselves or with a tuner. Kind of defeats the purpose. But Woolich has the capability to unlock the ECU. You should be able to do that even though the tuner applied a lock key to it. It's an extra step to unlock it before you pull the maps off of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most people who buy that stuff don't do both. They either mail it and forget it, or buy the kit to tune it themselves or with a tuner. Kind of defeats the purpose. But Woolich has the capability to unlock the ECU. You should be able to do that even though the tuner applied a lock key to it. It's an extra step to unlock it before you pull the maps off of it.
Good to know thanks!

I know I definitely didn’t go about things the easiest way, I was hoping to be able to get my feet wet before tuning myself, but I should’ve just jumped in dick deep and done the tuning myself. The thing that really held me back from going straight to the dyno in the first place was I couldn’t find any good tuners that did sport bikes in MD, the one I could find near me wouldn’t do anything other than power commanders. Experience is expensive as ive learned lol.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
888 Posts
Good to know thanks!

I know I definitely didn’t go about things the easiest way, I was hoping to be able to get my feet wet before tuning myself, but I should’ve just jumped in dick deep and done the tuning myself. The thing that really held me back from going straight to the dyno in the first place was I couldn’t find any good tuners that did sport bikes in MD, the one I could find near me wouldn’t do anything other than power commanders. Experience is expensive as ive learned lol.
So here is the thing, if you are planning on going and using a Dyno then you really don't need the logbox cause they usually have thier own shit to sniff the exhaust with....if you go with a log box you really don't need to go to a Dyno cause your log box logs your actual day to day riding habits and can make suggestions based on that vs on wot roll one through 6th gear or each gear but throttle pegged. I mean of course you can dial it in more with a log box and Dyno but definitely isn't necessary. And woolich has some flash files they share anyways

·
Registered
629 Posts
I also thought you could unlock ECU's with woolich, at least I know I've seen a button or something in a menu for it.

Woolich has a pretty good video on youtube of how to use the engine data and autotune on the dyno which is what a lot of tuners around here would really do anyways. So if you could rent the dyno you can tune the bike yourself pretty easy.

There is also a lot of maps that people share that you could use to get a baseline for timing numbers and secondary throttle plate maps. The rest of the stuff I haven't really messed it. I've looked at a flash my buddy got done to his gen 4 and what they did and what they charged for it was nuts. They just took out the restrictions like any map will have from map share in woolich, increased the timing up top to the euro spec and took out the other common stuff like top speed, traction control change, etc.

Go watch some of the Woolich stuff on youtube and I think even Archer has some good videos out there too. Then just download a bunch of maps from the map share and compare. Really sounds way worse than it is once you dig into it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So here is the thing, if you are planning on going and using a Dyno then you really don't need the logbox cause they usually have thier own shit to sniff the exhaust with....if you go with a log box you really don't need to go to a Dyno cause your log box logs your actual day to day riding habits and can make suggestions based on that vs on wot roll one through 6th gear or each gear but throttle pegged. I mean of course you can dial it in more with a log box and Dyno but definitely isn't necessary. And woolich has some flash files they share anyways
I definitely didn’t go about it the easiest way lol. I had just hoped I could pay for a good canned tune, and then use the log box to tweak it to my bike and be good to go, without having to learn about advancing timing etc etc off the bat and end up making one of those neat curved valves or something.

side note but I thought I read you were possibly moving to NJ? If so you’ll have to hmu to do some track days at NJMP, I’m over in MD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also thought you could unlock ECU's with woolich, at least I know I've seen a button or something in a menu for it.

Woolich has a pretty good video on youtube of how to use the engine data and autotune on the dyno which is what a lot of tuners around here would really do anyways. So if you could rent the dyno you can tune the bike yourself pretty easy.

There is also a lot of maps that people share that you could use to get a baseline for timing numbers and secondary throttle plate maps. The rest of the stuff I haven't really messed it. I've looked at a flash my buddy got done to his gen 4 and what they did and what they charged for it was nuts. They just took out the restrictions like any map will have from map share in woolich, increased the timing up top to the euro spec and took out the other common stuff like top speed, traction control change, etc.

Go watch some of the Woolich stuff on youtube and I think even Archer has some good videos out there too. Then just download a bunch of maps from the map share and compare. Really sounds way worse than it is once you dig into it.
It would be real interesting if I could just unlock it through woolich. I’ve also been wondering if I can simply save the bin file that’s on my ecu to my computer, and then be able to switch back and forth between it and a tune I work on, but I haven’t had enough time to fool with it before I accidentally flash over it without having it saved.

I understand tuners locking there stuff, because who wants to put in a bunch of dyno hours and research only to have another company rip it off and sell what is your product, but damn is it also sketchy when they could’ve just slapped a euro spec tune onto your ecu, and you have no way of verifying you got what you paid for. Even more so when (as far as I can tell) most places don’t even send back a note or anything with what they did. Just “here’s your ecu in a box, we might’ve tuned it like you asked, or we might not have, have fun!”

At the very least theres a chill local shop that has let me throw the bike on the dyno a couple of times for free. They only do PCV tuning (typically on older race bikes), so maybe with a case of beer and a few dollars they’ll let me rent the dyno for a Saturday and I’ll try to tune it after combing through the woolich and archer videos.

Thanks man!

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
888 Posts
I definitely didn’t go about it the easiest way lol. I had just hoped I could pay for a good canned tune, and then use the log box to tweak it to my bike and be good to go, without having to learn about advancing timing etc etc off the bat and end up making one of those neat curved valves or something.

side note but I thought I read you were possibly moving to NJ? If so you’ll have to hmu to do some track days at NJMP, I’m over in MD.
Yeah I have a work opportunity in New York City but can't do the living on top of each other crap. Would rather commute so now looking at spots in CT as well, Greenwich or some shit. Looks like a nicer area. Alternative would be a bit further but the spot is so sick. Can't remember the name of the city but it sounds kinda like misery or miserable or suffering or some shit like that. Maybe suferage fuck idk. The spot is like 4200 a month and is sitting on 1.3 acres. 4 bed 3 bath, full basement and attic room and has a shop/work and project area on the grounds. No sharing with the neighbors etc. I can't even find anywhere out here with 1.3 acres but for that mind of money I could get a 3500 square foot house or an amazing luxury 2 bed apartment with rooftop theater and full service everything or idk a 2 bed shit hole in Newport Beach lol. Any way I went it would still be 15 min from everything vs this shit that will leave me with a 1 plus hour commute at 430 am lol. Still gotta follow the money and that's where it is for the time being. If I move I'm buying another bike cause man, I already put 23k miles on mine and no way I'm taking it to the track again. Plus it's super limited in the USA, only sold the SE in 2018. Have not seen another one on the streets around here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I have a work opportunity in New York City but can't do the living on top of each other crap. Would rather commute so now looking at spots in CT as well, Greenwich or some shit. Looks like a nicer area. Alternative would be a bit further but the spot is so sick. Can't remember the name of the city but it sounds kinda like misery or miserable or suffering or some shit like that. Maybe suferage fuck idk. The spot is like 4200 a month and is sitting on 1.3 acres. 4 bed 3 bath, full basement and attic room and has a shop/work and project area on the grounds. No sharing with the neighbors etc. I can't even find anywhere out here with 1.3 acres but for that mind of money I could get a 3500 square foot house or an amazing luxury 2 bed apartment with rooftop theater and full service everything or idk a 2 bed shit hole in Newport Beach lol. Any way I went it would still be 15 min from everything vs this shit that will leave me with a 1 plus hour commute at 430 am lol. Still gotta follow the money and that's where it is for the time being. If I move I'm buying another bike cause man, I already put 23k miles on mine and no way I'm taking it to the track again. Plus it's super limited in the USA, only sold the SE in 2018. Have not seen another one on the streets around here.
Dang, I’m right there with ya on not being in a city! It’s too damn much for me. I had no clue the SE was that limited. In my area it’s mostly older bikes, I’ve only ever seen one other gen 5, definitely no SEs or other RRs around here. I keep telling myself to get a smaller adventure bike for cruising around to take some miles off of the RR, cause I’m averaging 9k a year at this point, but that damn ZH2 keeps calling to me. I hope you find what you’re looking for in the location hunt!

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
888 Posts
Dang, I’m right there with ya on not being in a city! It’s too damn much for me. I had no clue the SE was that limited. In my area it’s mostly older bikes, I’ve only ever seen one other gen 5, definitely no SEs or other RRs around here. I keep telling myself to get a smaller adventure bike for cruising around to take some miles off of the RR, cause I’m averaging 9k a year at this point, but that damn ZH2 keeps calling to me. I hope you find what you’re looking for in the location hunt!
Yeah, the rest of the world has the SE being sold this year as well and the 2018 year model but the USA only got something like 500 of them total so if you see one check it out there are not a lot of noticable differences short of the SE cost more than the RR in 2018. That changed in 19 for the rest of the world but original sticker was higher on the SE and yeah the SE badge and electronic suspension is the biggest noticable difference. The self healing paint is kinda cool to. You would notice that most likely when trying to purchase oem fairings for this bike lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts