Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I wonder if any of you have had a similar install issue with a Woolich USB tuner as I have. I am trying to install it right now and the pins wont stay in the ECU plug. I have done everything exactly like the instructions on the website say, but the two wires that you are supposed to plug into the back of the grey ECU harness dont lock in. I removed the 2 white plastic pins that were in the holes 66 and 67, then I slide the connectors in. They stay a little because of the rubber weather seal, but if I pull back they come right out. There are no locking tabs. My wires are pictured. Any suggestions?

On the yellow wire you can see a small tab, but it is bent inward. That is how it came from Woolich. They other was not closed properly and was bent. Do you think I need to bend that tab outward?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have no idea, but I will trade you a lizard that wanted to come in out of the rain for your Woolich :biggrin:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahahaha, hum, perhaps if you throw in a few snails we can make a deal.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,616 Posts
Yes, bend the loving tabs posed a bit to help it catch better. Just be careful not to bend/flex then too much so that they break off

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I know that's important and I confirmed it was in correctly and on the first time. Since then, I've tried all other ways.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
As I'm sure you've seen it... but on the off chance you haven't:
http://woolichracing.com/Documents/Bike_Harness_Installation_Kawasaki_Type_3a.pdf

You should have a little metal tang on the connector that is slightly angled upwards. This piece slides in when pushed forward but pops back out to prevent it from coming back out when pulled from the wire side. If it slides back out, rotate it 180* and that locking tab should be in the correct position.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Just an idea on how the tabs work. Not to scale or anything.

But the tab slides over the little bump in the ECU connector and prevents it from sliding out. If the tab is facing up there is nothing preventing it from pulling out. Rotating it 180° usually fixes this.

And then to remove the connectors a small flat blade jewelers can be used to prop that tab up temporarily. While holding that tab up, pull the rear wire out and the tab will miss the bump inside the ECU connector letting it be removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
When pushing the terminals into the slots do they actually travel the full distance and get to the same level as the rest of the terminals in the plug?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
When pushing the terminals into the slots do they actually travel the full distance and get to the same level as the rest of the terminals in the plug?
Yup. They should sit flush in order to make contact with pins 66/67 on the ECU that are the same height/length as all the other pins on the ECU.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had not removed the blue cover for the ECU plug. It has tabs for each slot that were blocking the terminals when I pushed them in. I removed the cover and then was able to push them in all the way. So it was totally my fault.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But the very strangest part, the little terminals didn't have the little angled up tab. I've worked with these connectors before on other bikes and other none bike stuff. But they still clipped in. I was/am confused

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I had not removed the blue cover for the ECU plug. It has tabs for each slot that were blocking the terminals when I pushed them in. I removed the cover and then was able to push them in all the way. So it was totally my fault.
That'll do it.

Glad you got it figured out :) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, I'm very happy to be able to tune my TC. It's way too invasive right now. Turning it down in first grade will be a big help

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yup. They should sit flush in order to make contact with pins 66/67 on the ECU that are the same height/length as all the other pins on the ECU.
Yeah I know, Sorry I should have quoted BC. :eek:ccasion1

Yeah the blue cover needs to be removed. :lol: glad you've sorted it. :smile:

·
Registered
547 Posts
But the very strangest part, the little terminals didn't have the little angled up tab. I've worked with these connectors before on other bikes and other none bike stuff. But they still clipped in. I was/am confused
Yeah the tabs aren't really needed. Mine was the same.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts