Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got home today and installed my Woolich harness. That was the only part that went right.

The computer doesn't seem to recognize it as it doesn't show up in "devices and printers" however woolich software finds it still. BUT it won't let me read/write to the ECU. I've tried reinstalling firmware, I've tried uninstalling the driver from my computer.

Nothing works.

I ran the "test harness" tests and it passed all of them. However if I tried to read/write the ECU, it just sits there for about 20 seconds and then i get this error...

"woolich racing failed to initialize communication with ecu - no initial response"

The key is on
Bike is in neutral
Kill switch is set to run

Don't know what else to do here. And on top of all that, I tried uninstalling woolich software and reinstalling, when I try to login now, it says my account is disabled and to submit a ticket.

I'm sure they won't be answering within the next day or 2, which a major inconvenience for me since I'm only in town Saturday night and Sundays.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just installed on a different computer. Not attached to the harness, just the USB-M v3 module. The computer recognizes it, but I get this...

Could not communicate with Woolich Racing USB device.

- Reset USB device by unplugging the USB cable, wait 10 seconds, then plug USB cable back in
- Check Windows 'Devices and Printers' has an item for 'Woolich Racing USB'
- Check you have the latest Device Firmware installed by opening 'Tools'->'Device Configuration'

User Guides and Installation Manuals for Woolich Racing USB devices and Harnesses can be found on the following page Product User Manuals and Installation Instructions

If you continue to have problems please check for additional information in the Woolich Racing Support Center: Support Center - Woolich Racing,
also check the Woolich Racing Forums WoolichRacing.com ? WoolichRacing.com
or Contact Us from the Contact Us page Contact Woolich Racing
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

·
Registered
461 Posts
So I got home today and installed my Woolich harness. That was the only part that went right.

The computer doesn't seem to recognize it as it doesn't show up in "devices and printers" however woolich software finds it still. BUT it won't let me read/write to the ECU. I've tried reinstalling firmware, I've tried uninstalling the driver from my computer.

Nothing works.

I ran the "test harness" tests and it passed all of them. However if I tried to read/write the ECU, it just sits there for about 20 seconds and then i get this error...

"woolich racing failed to initialize communication with ecu - no initial response"

The key is on
Bike is in neutral
Kill switch is set to run

Don't know what else to do here. And on top of all that, I tried uninstalling woolich software and reinstalling, when I try to login now, it says my account is disabled and to submit a ticket.

I'm sure they won't be answering within the next day or 2, which a major inconvenience for me since I'm only in town Saturday night and Sundays.
sounds like you have everything right as far as key on, bike neutral, kill switch set to run.. I have a gen4 with log box v3 and it should be the same as yours..

make sure on the box v3 there is a switch on there make sure it is switched to the right all the way and not the left. Other than that if it is switched in right direction you may want to try a different usb cable and or usb port on the computer. included picture i had but the rubber 0 ring is kinda covering up the switch.

also i think you have to log into your account and make sure unlock your model of ur ecu before you can read and write to the ecu.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like you have everything right as far as key on, bike neutral, kill switch set to run.. I have a gen4 with log box v3 and it should be the same as yours..

make sure on the box v3 there is a switch on there make sure it is switched to the right all the way and not the left. Other than that if it is switched in right direction you may want to try a different usb cable and or usb port on the computer. included picture i had but the rubber 0 ring is kinda covering up the switch.

also i think you have to log into your account and make sure unlock your model of ur ecu before you can read and write to the ecu.
The switch is to the right, using the cable that came with the kit, tried 4 different USB ports :(

I've logged into my account and downloaded all the bin files available. Is there a certain way to "unlock" the one I need? I find it on the list when I'm in the software, so I assumed that meant it was unlocked as I can select and open it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It would be just about my luck to receive a malfunctioning one -.-
If there is something wrong with it they will take care of it , they are really good on customer service .

you said you download the bin files , if you are logged in to the software that is done automatically ,
Are you logged in on the software?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there is something wrong with it they will take care of it , they are really good on customer service .

you said you download the bin files , if you are logged in to the software that is done automatically ,
Are you logged in on the software?
yes. I can open the bin files and everything. The only thing it WONT do is talk to the device to read/write the ECU.

as you can see in this picture, it's detecting the device, however when I try to open 'device configuration' I get the error. Then, when I try to read or write the ECU, I get the other error saying failed to initialize contact with USB or whatever

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
The switch is to the right, using the cable that came with the kit, tried 4 different USB ports :(

I've logged into my account and downloaded all the bin files available. Is there a certain way to "unlock" the one I need? I find it on the list when I'm in the software, so I assumed that meant it was unlocked as I can select and open it.
yes to unlock your ecu you have to purchase it. normally when they activate your account they give you one purchase for your ecu.. select the new button then select your manufacturer, model, year, and then ecu part number that is same as your bikes ecu and then select purchase.

i know u said u tried 4 usb ports but try a different usb cable.. just gotta narrow it down to the problem. double check your cabling to the ecu harness for correct pin in's, usb cable, usb ports, switch on v3 box, make sure you purchased the right ecu part number for your bike, what color are the lights blinking on the v3 box when you try this? it could be a bad unit but i would try all the previous first as they will have u try that im sure before sending it back.

·
Registered
450 Posts
yes. I can open the bin files and everything. The only thing it WONT do is talk to the device to read/write the ECU.

as you can see in this picture, it's detecting the device, however when I try to open 'device configuration' I get the error. Then, when I try to read or write the ECU, I get the other error saying failed to initialize contact with USB or whatever
I would make sure that the unit is on read /write position .I am sure you checked that but do it one more time and move it back and forth few times .and as Belkins said when chose the new bin on the bottom of the page it will show that you purchased a bin for your bike and how many times you write ECU ,

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have this problem

Nels at 2wheeldynoworks had the same problem with my bike...some of the later released 2016s had some update in the ECU although the serial #s on the ECU remained the same but we had the same exact problem as youre describing...he has been in contact with Woolich and they are in process of updating asap....

·
Registered
462 Posts
Also re-check the pins in the ECU. Double check correct order and make sure installed right.
If they aren't fitted in the slots deep enough it's not able to read the ECU.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The switch is in the correct positron. Have tried different USB cables, 4 USB port on my laptop and on my desktop.

I'm almost positive that the unit is bad because it throws the error even on device configuration before I even try to read ecu. It even throws an error of its not connected to the bike. It says unable to communicate with Woolich USB device

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,680 Posts
Also re-check the pins in the ECU. Double check correct order and make sure installed right.
If they aren't fitted in the slots deep enough it's not able to read the ECU.
I originally had the same issues as him.....In the end it was the One pin plug I had to insert. The diagram shows it from the male and female side and both are blank pins.

If you can take a picture of the pin plug you had to insert. Once I got that right everything was good to go.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I originally had the same issues as him.....In the end it was the One pin plug I had to insert. The diagram shows it from the male and female side and both are blank pins.

If you can take a picture of the pin plug you had to insert. Once I got that right everything was good to go.
Yeah same here, but for mine I just didn't have one of them (think the yellow) wasn't in far/deep enough to make proper contact in the ECU pin.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been in contact with Woolich and they assure me that all harnesses are tested before shipping out. He also thinks it is a wiring issue on my part. I am hoping that is the case. I will look into it when I get home this weekend and let you guys know what I come up with. I quadruple checked all my wiring connections so I'm kind of skeptical, I am positive my pin was seated in the ecu bracket so I'm hoping maybe it was just in the wrong slot.

I Aldo formatted my laptop and did a fresh install and got the Woolich device properly showing up as a driver (I think it may have had a corrupted install) and Anthony at Woolich told me that the device would throw an error if not hooked to the bike because it still tries to communicate with the ecu.

Fingers cross that I got a wire wrong or the fresh install fixed it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
yeah the test only checks read info not write so if your write pin isnt in properly you will still pass the test but fail to write to the ecu

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,680 Posts
Yeah I was sooooooo certain i had the wire in the right location. Ive installed 5 total wires on 2016 ZX10Rs now and have ran into problems getting the pin seated sometimes....not often..and getting the white lock down on top.

I dont make the mistake of putting it in the wrong location now tho. lol But your problem sounds exactly like mines and others.

when you get to your bike.
pull the harness plug and take a picture like the one below on the right side....

That is the location on the harness.
While the white picture represents the ECU male pins. for some reason I installed mines wrong looking at the white pic (male pins) and not thinking of how they insert into each other.

Attachments

Reactions: ZX10RArcher

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,680 Posts
Here on my 1st attempt i got it wrong...look at the pin location on the female plug/harness.....when it inserts into the male ECU pins...it will be wrong.

Attachments

Reactions: ZX10RArcher
1 - 20 of 33 Posts