Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably going to court soon. I don't have the money for a lawyer, so for those of you who've been to small claims, how well do verbal agreements hold up? It's over utilities to a place I just up and left. The place was filthy, and the people there smoked next to the A/C intake so I had to close my vents off. On top of doing the yard for no compensation I feel like I have a good argument. Any actual lawyers out there? (and it's between old roommates, not the landlord)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Do you have anything in writing saying you owe half or any at all? If it was in somebodys name other then yours then tell them you had to cover other parts of the bills. But I need more of the story and I'm just giving my 02.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is not a written agreement between roomates to pay any specified fraction of utilities. None of the bills are in my name. I was asked to cover part of the bills and i did till i was fed up with living there. I have a lease with the landlord, and it just said to keep the utilities paid ( keep the utilities from getting shut off). I paid off my lease though. Does that help?

Thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
I would guess that if you have nothing stating that you agreed in writing then your ok. Do you or they have any receipts showing you paid anything in the past towards the bills in question? If you do that could come back to get you. Like did you write any checks ever towards them that they can say hey look he paid it all the time. These are things I would look into before I tell a judge weather you did or not. CYA is the term I guess Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts