Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike wont start.

I rode yesterday, everything was 100% OK.
I always hook up the battery tender EVERYTIME I garage my bike, so battery is supposed to be perfect.

I woke up kinda late... decided I'd ride my bike to work.
So I got ready and everything, inserted the KEY, then the starter did its thing for like 2 seconds and then....

PPPPPRRRRRRRLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

What the fuck was that? So I turned it OFF, ON.. then hit on it again.
Starter sounded fine for like 2 seconds then...

PPPPPRRRRRRRLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

I'll explain the sound.
Imagine you have a playing card, then put it against the blade of a running electric fan.
Thats how it sounded like.

NO FI light.
ALL Lights come on.
Battery is 100% charged.

I didnt have any time to look at it.. i had to go to work.
And I was late to work, about 20 minutes.

So what you guys think? Starter bad?

·
Registered
681 Posts
sounds like it.....put it in gear, hold the clutch in drift it back a little bit and pop the clutch,.....dont drift start it, but just enough to turn the engine over...then try the starter again....if it still makes the same sound, then its the starter

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Battery may be 100% charged but can It HOLD a CHARGE :wink:

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been riding.
The bike was ridden just yesterday.

The battery cant go bad overnight, can it?
It's always been with the battery tender every night, every day, every time I park the bike.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I've been riding.
The bike was ridden just yesterday.

The battery cant go bad overnight, can it?
It's always been with the battery tender every night, every day, every time I park the bike.

Sounds like you got a bad cell or two in your battery, it may be reeading 12 volts, but more than likely it is low on the amperage you need to turn the starter repeditivly. The noise you are describing is exactly like what the starter will sound like if it has just enough voltage to engague but not enough to turn the engine over. I sugess taking the battery out, take it to your local auto parts sotre and have them bench check it, make sure they put it under a load condition, my money is on a bad battery.

Is it still the original battery?

Batteries go bad, even with a tender.
Another thing, leave it off the tender for a night and see if it is even worse the next day.
If you had a multimeter you could check how much it is draing down over night, a bad cell battery will not hold 12.6 -8volts overnight it would drop down.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you got a bad cell or two in your battery, it may be reeading 12 volts, but more than likely it is low on the amperage you need to turn the starter repeditivly. The noise you are describing is exactly like what the starter will sound like if it has just enough voltage to engague but not enough to turn the engine over. I sugess taking the battery out, take it to your local auto parts sotre and have them bench check it, make sure they put it under a load condition, my money is on a bad battery.

Is it still the original battery?

Batteries go bad, even with a tender.
Another thing, leave it off the tender for a night and see if it is even worse the next day.
If you had a multimeter you could check how much it is draing down over night, a bad cell battery will not hold 12.6 -8volts overnight it would drop down.

Thanks for the input.
But my real question is... would it just DIE out of nowhere?
I have been riding quite often, almost everyday for a looooong time.
Every START before this problem were all ONE-CLICK.
This is the first time this happened.

It is the ORIG batt.
Thanks, I will have the local shop bench test it.

Lucky

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Thanks for the input.
But my real question is... would it just DIE out of nowhere?
I have been riding quite often, almost everyday for a looooong time.
Every START before this problem were all ONE-CLICK.
This is the first time this happened.

It is the ORIG batt.
Thanks, I will have the local shop bench test it.

Lucky

Yep, you won't have any notice, it will just be bad one day, It was probably on its way, but using the tender kept it good enough to crank for a while, but I would bet its probably gone. But get it checked first, those little boogers are pricey, epsecially if you stay with the Yuassa which I reccomend.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If it was here at the shop ,I would test the battery(don't need to take it out of bike).First test tells me voltage if that is good then I enter battery type (MF) in this case and enter AH rating for this battery.Seeing how it's a YT12B-BS I'm guessing it's a 12AH (not at the shop right now to look this up)Enter 12AH the tester runs that test tell me either good and pass and percentage or bad replace.(Take the bike to your closest shop tell them to come out to the parking lot and test your battery.We don't charge to do this, don't see why anybody else would)

If the battery test good then I test the starter and starter relay.Find the starter relay(it's usually right by the battery)Positive lead(heavy gage red wire) comes off battery right to the relay.The other heavy gage black wire off the relay goes to the starter.Use a battery charger /boost starter.Connect negative lead of charger to battery negative.Connect Positive lead of charger to the Heavy gage black wire on the starter relay.Turn on charger set to boost charge(must be more than 12v 15 amp).You have just by passed relay.If starter turns over at good speed your starter good.

Lat most common thing is the starter relay.If both your battery and starter passed there test.Now test relay.Turn key on hit the starter button. listen to the relay if you hear a loud buzzing sound coming from it ,then your relay is bad.(Make sure you test starter as descried above first,as it too came make a buzzing sound when the brushes go bad)

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it was here at the shop ,I would test the battery(don't need to take it out of bike).First test tells me voltage if that is good then I enter battery type (MF) in this case and enter AH rating for this battery.Seeing how it's a YT12B-BS I'm guessing it's a 12AH (not at the shop right now to look this up)Enter 12AH the tester runs that test tell me either good and pass and percentage or bad replace.(Take the bike to your closest shop tell them to come out to the parking lot and test your battery.We don't charge to do this, don't see why anybody else would)

If the battery test good then I test the starter and starter relay.Find the starter relay(it's usually right by the battery)Positive lead(heavy gage red wire) comes off battery right to the relay.The other heavy gage black wire off the relay goes to the starter.Use a battery charger /boost starter.Connect negative lead of charger to battery negative.Connect Positive lead of charger to the Heavy gage black wire on the starter relay.Turn on charger set to boost charge(must be more than 12v 15 amp).You have just by passed relay.If starter turns over at good speed your starter good.

Lat most common thing is the starter relay.If both your battery and starter passed there test.Now test relay.Turn key on hit the starter button. listen to the relay if you hear a loud buzzing sound coming from it ,then your relay is bad.(Make sure you test starter as descried above first,as it too came make a buzzing sound when the brushes go bad)

Thanks!
But like I said, I had to leave the bike and drive my car.
Im at work right now so I cant do nothing else.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm at the shop.I had a chance to look up the battery.
YT12-BS last night I told you I guessed AH was 12.It's not,the correct rating is 10AH.Tell that to who ever you have test the battery so they get the correct reading.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THanks to all who replied.

Took the battery out since bike wont even start.
Went to a local dealership, Harley Davidson in Pittsburg (this is the closest hehehe).
They did a "load test" on it... so I went out for a while to get some fresh air.
I even saw two squirells running down the road, one had a curly fry on its mouth, the other I cant recall.

Couple of minutes later...

I went back into the dealership. THere were like 5 guys mordantly staring at me. (they were probably 45-60 age range)
I was trying to imagine what was going on in their minds since it looked like I was the youngest one around at that time.
"What the fuck is this young juvenile fooling around here in HD?" I thought to myself.

I went to the counter and saw the guy I talked to.

"Battery's a goner"
"Oh ok..."
"Could you explain more?"
"It wont hold the charge.."
He actually said a lot more info, I cant really remember them all.

He handed me back my batt.

"Do you guys have any replacement batt for the yt12b-bs in stock?"
"Let me check... Ah yes!"
"How much?"
"$175"
"Wow.. can I get a discount? Im a full time student you know." <-- some times it works
"SOrry man, the price is set."
"Ok, thanks... see you later."

He either didnt charge me for the test or probably the poor old dude just accidentally forgot.

So I went online to see how much they are.
Ebay has them for around $70-80 brand new, other online stores for around $100-$120
Why the dealer wants $175, I dont know.

Thanks again for all the replies.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts

Went to a local dealership, Harley Davidson in Pittsburg (this is the closest hehehe).
They did a "load test" on it... so I went out for a while to get some fresh air.
I even saw two squirells running down the road, one had a curly fry on its mouth, the other I cant recall.

I went back into the dealership. THere were like 5 guys mordantly staring at me. (they were probably 45-60 age range)
I was trying to imagine what was going on in their minds since it looked like I was the youngest one around at that time.
"What the fuck is this young juvenile fooling around here in HD?" I thought to myself.

"Battery's a goner"
"Oh ok..."

"How much?"
"$175"
"Wow.. can I get a discount? Im a full time student you know." <-- some times it works

He either didnt charge me for the test or probably the poor old dude just accidentally forgot.

Ebay has them for around $70-80 brand new, other online stores for around $100-$120

They might have something at Wal-mart, it won't be a yuasa, which I reccommend, but it will be 30-50$ and should last you a while if money is tight.
I checked one time, and they showed a replacement for the zx-6r but not the 10, not sure if there is a significant differece between the two, but you could just measure the size of the batt and compare it to the ones at wal-mart, the CA and CCA might not be exact, but should still work in a pinch, 12V is still 12V.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

"Battery's a goner"
"Oh ok..."

"How much?"
"$175"

Humm, wonder where I heard that before?

:wink:

Walmart may have a replacement if your strapped for cash, I know they had one for a ZX6R.

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
9r to 10R beat me on the Walmart info. :thumbsup: ^^^^^^

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
o jeez... freakin fast reply!
What am i gonna do without zx-10r.net

THANKS!
I'll head to Walmart tomorrow.

FUCK.. Walmart and Harley Davidson were only across the street from each other, literally!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Customer dropped off a 4 wheeler today said it wouldn't start,battery is dead.Then she says she just bought this battery a year ago,shouldn't they last longer than that.Yes I said unless you got it at Walmart or Farm and Home.
Walmart battery are cheap.Because there made as cheaply as possible.Yuasa are the best .That's what all the Jap bike/ATVS come with.General you'll get 4 years out of a factory battery,if you take care of it.
But here's a little inside knowledge.Parts Unlimited batterys are actual made by Yuasa is the same plant.So save yourself some money and get a battery that's going to last.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the evil plan

a. buy batt from walmart
b. buy yuasa batt
c. return batt to walmart

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
474 Posts
the evil plan

a. buy batt from walmart
b. buy yuasa batt
c. return batt to walmart

:thumbsup:
LOL If you can't find what you need pm me. I'll help you out because you ride a ZX10R :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts