Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 ZX10r and rode to work this morning with no problem. When I went to start it at lunch, it would not turn over. The starter was fine and battery has plenty of juice. When I turn the ignition on, I cannot hear the fuel pumps priming like usual. Any ideas before I trailer it to the dealer and get bent over?:dontknow:

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Ummm sounds like you pretty much answered your own question. Sounds like the fuel pump is gone bad. See if there is a fuse for it first before going off and buying a new pump. Or you can do the Walbro mod.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
May have just come unplugged. Could be your switch on the handlebars to, will the bike even crank? If it will not even crank, if is a switch somewhere, i.e, kickstand, clutch, off/on switch, or maybe tip over sensor.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
May have just come unplugged. Could be your switch on the handlebars to, will the bike even crank? If it will not even crank, if is a switch somewhere, i.e, kickstand, clutch, off/on switch, or maybe tip over sensor.
I believe he did say his crank is fine, so I assume that it can't be the kickstand and the kill switch because it would not try to crank if the switches were bad/off.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I believe he did say his crank is fine, so I assume that it can't be the kickstand and the kill switch because it would not try to crank if the switches were bad/off.
IDK< he said it would not turn over, that to me means the engine would not spin, but then he said his starter was OK, so I was :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
IDK< he said it would not turn over, that to me means the engine would not spin, but then he said his starter was OK, so I was :dontknow:
No, you're right. I reread his post and I understand your suggestion. But I think he meant to say it would crank over but just wouldn't catch. Guess we won't know for sure until he comes back and gives better details. My apologies.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
that is what i was trying to figure out, if it was turning over just not firing. it sounds kinda fuel related but there is no way to be sure unless i was looking at the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
check out you fuel pump relay, and fuse. pumps don't go bad that often.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have checked the fuses under the seat, but where exactly is the fuse for the fuel pump? Also, the engine will turn, it just won't fire.

How difficult is it to remove the tank to check the fuel pump connections?

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
OK now we are talking, you can rule out a faulty kickstand switch, kill switch, clutch switch. Pull your left side fairing right by the seat, the connector for the fuel pump is right behind there on the subframe. You will be able to tell right away if it came loose, if your tank has never been off, and you have never fiddled with this connector, I am betting it is hooked up still.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already had the seat and side fairings off, so it was easy to check the connector. You were right...it is still hooked up. So, unless there is a fuse for the pump somewhere besides under the seat, my guess is my pump went out.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Yes there is a fuse, I can't tell you exactly where because I don't have my 06 here in front of me.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Not really sure if a Scorpio has fuel cut off like a normal cat alarm.

But double check the connections before you start checking fuel pumps. As mentioned, start with the obvious. Connections at the clip on switch, then check your alarm connections and work from there. I'm sure its something simple.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not really sure if a Scorpio has fuel cut off like a normal cat alarm.

But double check the connections before you start checking fuel pumps. As mentioned, start with the obvious. Connections at the clip on switch, then check your alarm connections and work from there. I'm sure its something simple.

I have checked all the alarm connections and they seem fine. Anybody know specifically where the fuel pump fuse is located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, just to follow up it turned out my fuel pump did in fact die. I bought a new one on fleabay for $80 and as soon as it arrived I plugged it in and turned the key on. It worked perfectly. So, I installed it in the tank and life is good again. Thanks all for the help!

:thumbsup:

Bryan

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just had the same problem on my 06
pompe number => 5Y14

I install a pump of 07 by security
pompe number => 6707

it works for now

1 - 18 of 18 Posts