Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kick stand is up, squeezed the clutch, fuel pump is working. Do anyone know why my bike will not start in gear, it will start only in neutral.

·
Registered
620 Posts
kickstand up, clutch pulled in, and the red switch on ur right handle bar is on.

im thinkin the red switch might be off, but could be wrong

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Check to make sure the kick stand is still connected to the little metal bracket which is your side stand interlock switch. This would be the case if once you switch it into gear after starting in neutral and it quits. If it runs fine after clicking it into gear, I'm at a loss of what the problem could be besides just some electrical problem somewhere.

·
Registered
620 Posts
zx10ragentblack said:
your sensor may be having some problems thinking the kick stand is always down i guess
actually my bike did that after i lowered it. Sometimes it wouldn't crank and other times it would cut off if i was going slow, but after a week it went away.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Ok here is what I understand...

Clutch is in

Kickstand is up

Fuel pump has primed (which if this happens then that means the run/off switch is in the run position as the pump will not prime if it is the off position.

Does the bike start in nuetral with the clutch out? If the bike will not start in first with the clutch in then I think the clutch safety switch under the clutch handle is either unhooked or damaged.

Bike should start in nuetral with kickstand up or down with the clutch out. See if it does that.

Then put the bike in 1st with stand up and see if it will start with the clutch in, if it does then put the stand down while the bike is running and in 1st gear. If the stand switch works the bike should die as soon as you try to put the stand down while running with the bike in first.

If it does this then the stand switch is fine and more again pushed you towards a bad clutch switch. Only other switch that could be involved will be the gear selector switch on the tranny.

Either way though it should not matter which gear the bike is in. As long as the stand is up and the clutch is in the bike should start so it continues to point you towards the clutch switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BryanB said:
kickstand up, clutch pulled in, and the red switch on ur right handle bar is on.

im thinkin the red switch might be off, but could be wrong
Switch is on. thats how i know my fuel pump is working

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it must be a sensor i can start it in neutral switch to first but when i put the kick stand down it cuts off. so that working the sensor under the clutch my be shot. thats the ony thing i can think of.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i still havent gotten around to fixin mine, however i have a new symptom.
mine starts in gear sometimes, if i hit the start button and let go to soon (while cranking the engine over) before the bike fires up, i have to try again but after that 1st try, no cranking, have to go to neutral to fire it up.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Take the switch off the clutch perch and file a little off from the pin.(Shorten the pin) If you will do this your problem will go away I promise. I had to do the same thing to my girlfriends 636. All is well NOW! Look at how the switch works and this will make sence to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gunner said:
Take the switch off the clutch perch and file a little off from the pin.(Shorten the pin) If you will do this your problem will go away I promise. I had to do the same thing to my girlfriends 636. All is well NOW! Look at how the switch works and this will make sence to you.
Dude this totally worked thanks

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Rock_Star said:
how much is a little?
just enough were the clutch lever tab doesn't touch the nipple from the switch anymore. The problem seems to be that some switches are really touchy and need to be fully released to work. What's happening is when the clutch lever is pulled all the way back on some bikes the nipple is still touching the lever tab and not releasing the switch....by shaving the nipple enough to not touch the tab you are garanteed full switch release...hope this helps.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i had the same problem at one time. Its kinda stupid but come to find out the idle screw had been turned down just enough that when the bike was kicked into gear it would turn off as if the clutch was let out. Try to idle it up about 100-200 rpm and that should fix the problem. The reason being is when you start the bike in neutral there isnt any pressure on the clutch fibers and when you kick it in gear (even w/ clutch pulled in) there isnt enough rpm to keep the fibers from grabbing. Understand?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts