Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My kawk had been having starting issues over the last couple of months but I always ignored it because it would always eventually start and I'd be merry on my way, but today it finally took a complete shit (way to go 2014!) so I decided to look for the problem.

My plugs have been replaced(apparently) by the shop that checked my valves less than 500miles ago and my fuel pump seems operational.

When pressing the ignition switch, I noticed a screeching/grinding noise coming from the magnetic switch (27010) , so pulled it out to inspect. The 30Amp fuse is fine but there is a little bit of a deposit built up and something inside the piece rattles. I feel like this is the part that's causing the problem, but I'd prefer to see what some of the more experienced members have to say about this issue before I spend the $ on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLNrGRThwPk&feature=youtu.be

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
My kawk had been having starting issues ...
Sounds like a personal problem! :lol:

... over the last couple of months but I always ignored it because it would always eventually start and I'd be merry on my way, but today it finally took a complete shit (way to go 2014!) ... when pressing the ignition switch, I noticed a screeching/grinding noise...
Could you give more details on what happens when it doesn't start? Turns over but doesn't catch; starter spins but engine doesn't turn over; nothing at all; etc?

·
Registered
694 Posts
i had the exact same problem 2 years ago ... And it was like you with a deposit on the connector so i cleaned it real well and no a single problem since then!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a personal problem! :lol:

Could you give more details on what happens when it doesn't start? Turns over but doesn't catch; starter spins but engine doesn't turn over; nothing at all; etc?
Haha!

There is this very abnormal sound that comes from this little box. I will post a video of it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here is a short clip I recorded. The sound comes directly from that relay so you can see why I'm guessing its whats causing the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLNrGRThwPk&feature=youtu.be

Another thing to note is that before it completely went like this, I used to hear this very noise but only for a split second while trying to start my bike.
That's helpful! I've never heard a noise like that from my 05 and, considering it starts to turn over then buzzes (more like an electrical sizzle) and quits, suggests it's a bad/broken connection.

I'd say you've got the right target ... try cleaning the relay first. It wouldn't hurt to swap the fuse for another to test, either ... it may not be totally blown, but have enough of an imperfection to be unable to handle the full load. If all that fails, replacing it (the relay) is probably your best bet. Also, while cleaning it up, check for any burnt/corroded wires leading to/from it, or nearby.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
what a fcking dreadful noise. it sounds like the solenoid that gets your starter going is fried. or the relay that engages that solenoid. both are capable of making a sound like that. i have hydraulic pumps that make a noise like that when the solenoid goes...

·
back to car scene
4,297 Posts
thats close to the sound mine made right as the battery lost the juice to turn the engine over, shortly after that i had to replace it, no probs since

glad it wasnt a terribly expensive fix lol

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
starter motor shot.
yep or that.

im not sure how it works on these bikes ive never looked at it. i just got my zx10 last year. but on all trucks or cars ive worked on, theres a starter and a solenoid attached to it. then another relay under the hood. when you turn to start the relay click letting power go to the solenoid which engages the starter. i assume it works around the same way. if so. i would check in this order.

relay
solenoid
starter

whatever that black box thats making the buzzing is, looks like a relay, thats probably the problem. they are not supposed to buzz like that. i just replaced a faulty powerboard in my 55" TV because the relay stuck when you plugged it in. made the same sound, just not as loud. works now. got board from ebay for 40 bucks. anyway get online, get that part number and get a price, its probably 50 bucks or less.

·
Registered
84 Posts
yep or that.

im not sure how it works on these bikes ive never looked at it. i just got my zx10 last year. but on all trucks or cars ive worked on, theres a starter and a solenoid attached to it. then another relay under the hood. when you turn to start the relay click letting power go to the solenoid which engages the starter. i assume it works around the same way. if so. i would check in this order.

relay
solenoid
starter

whatever that black box thats making the buzzing is, looks like a relay, thats probably the problem. they are not supposed to buzz like that. i just replaced a faulty powerboard in my 55" TV because the relay stuck when you plugged it in. made the same sound, just not as loud. works now. got board from ebay for 40 bucks. anyway get online, get that part number and get a price, its probably 50 bucks or less.

It's definitely the relay.

Motorcycles don't have a solenoid to engage/disengage the starter motor (at least not modern Japanese ones). There is a "single direction clutch" that does this mechanically. At whatever time he starter is connected to this clutch, but the clutch will only grab the crankshaft if it is stopped and the starter is running.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i have a new aftermarket starter relay sitting in my extra parts bin. purchased for a 2002 zx-12r and never used it. replaces part number #27010-1446.....$6 shipped if you want it :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
wow. how can you argue with that. problem solved.

·
Registered
84 Posts
wow. how can you argue with that. problem solved.

:mod_smilie_+1::mod_smilie_+1:

btw, I don't know if the OP removed any rubber protection or insulation from the bolted connectors on the relay to get a better picture, but if there was no insulation before, you better add some. That cable is always live connected directly to the battery. You don't want that touching your frame!!

Idk how it is on the ZX, but the relay usually fits in a rubber pocket. If that's the case, that will work as insulation.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thats how mine sounded and it was the battery , Even when the battery showed 12v`s standing .. cranking dropped it to below 11v ..

Id suggest a new battery

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
To report back on this. it was in fact the battery causing that problem. I had a local shop test the relay and it was good so I took the battery to a kragen and they ran it through their testing system which lasted about 30 minutes. It passed and I brought it home, hooked it up and the bike fired right up with none of that noise.

Thats how mine sounded and it was the battery , Even when the battery showed 12v`s standing .. cranking dropped it to below 11v ..

Id suggest a new battery
Did a new battery completely fix this issue for you? Since my original battery was fine according to kragen's (local auto parts store) test, do you think I'll be okay with just sticking with it? Last thing I want is for the bike to do this again while it's away from home.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you're away from home just push-start it!

That was a loud noise for a dead battery! I've seen that before but not nearly that loud!

If you don't suspect any reason why it discharged (long time not using the bike/parking lights on/etc) you better check your charging system. All you need is a multimeter and the service manual. It's pretty straight forward.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts