Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so the only recent mod i have done is the 06-07 gauge cluster. my bike was still starting up fine after this so it cant be it. Everything seem to work fine it turns over just wont fire up. I smell gas strongly out of the exhaust. Fuel pump is fine. I took off the tank and airbox and triple checked all connectors even though it wouldn't start before I took off anything.

I have the battery on a 2A charger right now and letting it sit today. I tried starting all different ways, in neutral with kickstand up or down with or without clutch pulled in. and tried in first still nothing. i checked the tip sensor. I tried starting with the charger on jump mode but still nothing. Maybe my spark plugs I havent got to them yet??

My bike has been sitting since the end of season but I have started it and let it run about once every week or so since October.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
ok so the only recent mod i have done is the 06-07 gauge cluster. my bike was still starting up fine after this so it cant be it. Everything seem to work fine it just wont turn over. I smell gas strongly out of the exhaust. Fuel pump is fine. I took off the tank and airbox and triple checked all connectors even though it wouldn't start before I took off anything.

I have the battery on a 2A charger right now and letting it sit today. I tried starting all different ways, in neutral with kickstand up or down with or without clutch pulled in. and tried in first still nothing. i checked the tip sensor. I tried starting with the charger on jump mode but still nothing. Maybe my spark plugs I havent got to them yet??

My bike has been sitting since the end of season but I have started it and let it run about once every week or so since October.
Just plug your gen1 cluster back in and read the code!! :heyyou: Oh wait never mind :badteeth: ....

I would check and re-check connections, check your fuses

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes I know lol. I checked all connections 10 times and fuses
Do you have a service manual?
Do you have a multi meter?
check resistance on everything with he bike in the unstated position, then switch over to voltage and go one by one from the battery to see where power is stoping.

First thing, verify your starter is not out. The manual should have a good trouble shooting section.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Just plug your gen1 cluster back in and read the code!! :heyyou: Oh wait never mind :badteeth: ....

I would check and re-check connections, check your fuses
:crackup:not only that if you did it with the extra harness you could have just unplugged the cluster easy to make sure it's not related to your mod.

....but I agree I don't think it's related

bloo

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Got my battery load tested this morning and the dealer said it was bad. So I happily bought a new one and brought it home did the proper long charge and just a minute ago put it in, and....NO START, im getting pissed now.

I checked all wiring and fuses again and its all good. This time when I tried to start I got 2 little burps out of the exhaust like it wanted to start but then again nothing after that. I havent checked my spark plugs because I dont have the little tool that comes with the bike so I ordered that today from the dealer.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Magnetic pick-up.
Fist checks.
A. kick stand switch
B. Ignition switch
C. Clutch switch
D. Neutral switch
E. Tip sensor
F. Fuses
If no spark check magnetic pick-up. Spark signal comes from this. Right side timing cover.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Magnetic pick-up.
Fist checks.
A. kick stand switch
B. Ignition switch
C. Clutch switch
D. Neutral switch
E. Tip sensor
F. Fuses
If no spark check magnetic pick-up. Spark signal comes from this. Right side timing cover.
If it was my kickstand switch, shouldnt my bike still start in neutral?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If it was my kickstand switch, shouldnt my bike still start in neutral?
It depends if the switch is normally closed or open. I've seen switches fail, and no matter if the stand was up or not it still wouldn't start. When I'm trouble shooting I usually by-pass switches one at a time. A jumper wire works. Also checking a switch with a meter in ohms can determine if their working properly or not.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It depends if the switch is normally closed or open. I've seen switches fail, and no matter if the stand was up or not it still wouldn't start. When I'm trouble shooting I usually by-pass switches one at a time. A jumper wire works. Also checking a switch with a meter in ohms can determine if their working properly or not.
Makes sense, I am going to start bypassing switches next chance I get.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Makes sense, I am going to start bypassing switches next chance I get.
Like everyone is saying Check all the switches, that is your best bet. Make sure you check the starter to see if it's junk or anything too. Btw If the spark plugs were junk the bike would still turn over. Hell I've saw stuff run with a cylinder down so it's nothing like that.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Does it turn over? It sounds to me like it turns over but you are missing spark or fuel.
I was just going by what he said. In his first post he said it will not turn over. Which means the starter isn't even turning the crank. Unless he got mixed up.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
UPDATE: Got my battery load tested this morning and the dealer said it was bad. So I happily bought a new one and brought it home did the proper long charge and just a minute ago put it in, and....NO START, im getting pissed now.

I checked all wiring and fuses again and its all good. This time when I tried to start I got 2 little burps out of the exhaust like it wanted to start but then again nothing after that. I havent checked my spark plugs because I dont have the little tool that comes with the bike so I ordered that today from the dealer.

Any thoughts?
it turns over.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can see light mist coming out of the exhaust so I can't imagine it being a fuel problem. I'm going to check said switches tomorrow and see what happens. Im hoping it's something stupid like the kickstand or clutch switch. If I fail at everything I'll have to have someone come over and look at it.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Like everyone is saying Check all the switches, that is your best bet. Make sure you check the starter to see if it's junk or anything too. Btw If the spark plugs were junk the bike would still turn over. Hell I've saw stuff run with a cylinder down so it's nothing like that.
I agree but with most but for fouled plugs on the Gen 1 it will not start...definitely check switches and then would look at the plugs like replacing them.

bloo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts