Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day
So I have started getting a no crank over for a few weeks now. After pushing the start button a few times it would start up. The past weekend I went on a trip of about 1600kms. Halfway it just stopped cranking over. With a small push it would start and would run like normal.

Let me explain:
I would turn the key and everything would come on like it always does.
I would hit the kill switch and the pump would prime.
I would hit the start button and it would just click from the relay.
I have swopped out batteries- same problem
I have changed the starter solenoid-same problem
If I short out the solenoid then the motor will crank over.
My next stop is to bridge out the side stand switch.

All the discussions I have come across on here never have an answer.
REALLY NEED SOME HELP HERE!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently had the same problem as you. Fuel pump primes, pressed the starter button and I heard the starter relay click. One click per starter button press. I could push start it but couldn't start it via the button. Turned out to be the starter motor brushes not making contact with the commutator. Brush assembly on the left has the two worn down contact points while the one on the right is the length it should be to make a proper electrical connection. When you disassemble the starter motor, you will see dust build up from the brushes being worn from repeated starts.

Part # 21039-1066

Gas Personal protective equipment Auto part Strap Machine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good day Quickestguy. Thanks for the response. I found that in the the main relay box (junction box) there are about six relays in there. So most of the time when you hear the clicking from there when pushing the start bottom then it will be the head light relay that you hear. I replaced my main relay box and she started up.

but she was running on three cylinders........
Found the cups the valve shims go in. One broke in half and ate the cam away.:mad:
Bought another head and gasket set. Polishing the crank and over sized bearings. Busy putting it back together. o_O

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No other damage. I'm just replacing the complete head. The damage was just at the bucket and cam.
This caused the valve to stay open and run on 3 cylinders. The motor is open so im doing a polish on the crank and over sized bearings. Everything else is fine inside the motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts