Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I hate this crap. We had some decent weather today and our club has a club meeting and ride every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month. So we have the meeting with some breakfast and during the meeting we usually do a meet and greet and set some ground rules out for the new people.

One of the first things we say is have fun, ride safe, and lets all make it home. I hate working accidents and last season we had way too many of them.

We one of our good friends who just happens to be the original owner of my bike borrowed one of our friends 2004 R1 today to ride with us. We get about half way thru th ride out in one of the small towns that leads us to our section of roads that we ride on. Well Tom (on th R1) deciedes to pass most of the people in the front of the group. He is around 100ish and as he comes up on a mini van the van deciedes to stop for no reason in the middle of the road as they seem to be unsure if they want to turn or not.

Tom locks up the brakes and tries to make it around the passenger side of the van and impacts the van on the right rear corner. Tom then is throw up and into the back end of the van and completely destroys the back of the van with his body. I mean shatters the back windows and pushes the back end of the van in about two feet and from what witenesses said liefted the van 2ft off of the ground.

Luckily the occupants of the van were comepletely unhurt, Tom was not as lucky.

After he comes to and evacuates his lunch in his helmet we had to restrain him while directing traffic and waiting on the EMS to show up. They end up airlifting him to one of the local hosipitals.

Outcome so far is shattred pelvis and some missing teeth but othet than that and some bruises he is ok.

The R1 was demolished. Split the upper triple clamp in half on top and bottom, removed the forks from the bike, shattered every piece of glass and I mean anything that was glass in the instrument cluster, tore and shattered the complete front end off of the bike, and crushed 3 of the headers into the block of the bike completely flat. Suprisingly the frame of the bike is ok, as is the motor, swing arm, and rear wheel.

His gear played a large part in his survival, Arai helmet and leather jacket, over the ankle boots, and gloves.

I hate to share this, I am glad he is alive and will make it out ok after about 6 months in recovery.

Please everyone I know new season is upon us but please be careful out there. This is not something I enjoy doing or witnessing nor do i ever want to ever again.

Be safe and have fun but most of all come home safe.

Todd

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Sorry to hear, hope he heals quick. Sad to happen but now the newbs know what you mean!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry that happened. I hope your riding buddy fairs well.
I've been hearing too many stories like this, this early in the season. I'm thinking I'm going to be taking it easy on the roads this year, I hope everyone does the same.

·
I bleed Green!
2,612 Posts
The gear diffently played a big part of saving his life. Today comin back from Daytona a Harliey had a blow out Man and Woman no helments they didnt make it. Not to take away from Tom but please guys wear your skid lids. Check out the squid thread if you want to see what happens when you dont wear your gear.
Tom

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wow,

really sorry to hear that. Hope your friend comes back strong. How are his spirits and attitude? Hopefully he is not so freaked that he won't ride again...

It is definitely all about the gear. We really don't have a fight chance without it.

Cheers

·
Registered
777 Posts
Glad to hear your buddy will pull through, although that pelvis injury is not gonna be fun.

Also sounds like Tom needs to go over some basic rules about street riding again. Coming up on a minivan at over 100 was not a smart move on his part.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Wow, glad he is going to be ok for sure. To many accidents happening already. The street is not the safest place and if you want to really open it up and have some fun try a trackday for sure. After I did a trackday it slowed me down big time on the street as I was more aware of the dangers around me. Now I dont even ride on the street.
Hope he heals up fast.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Damn I hate reading these kind of posts...... Glad the R1 dude survived, and will recover. I see more wrecks during these winter "warm spells" than almost any other time of year. Be extra careful after not riding for a while, and always try to exercise good, controlled judgement. :helmet:

Peace and God bless,
D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts