Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Witch filter flows better K&N or BMC STREET
my bike was tuned to a bran new K&N. So when i need to change it i was thinking the BMC Street but only if i would not need to retune my bike!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
seriously. everyone keeps saying the race version is better but how does the street version perform. Would it be so close to the K&N that no tuning would be needed?

also have not seen this mentioned but are you guys also checking your throttle bodys for carbon buildup and cleaning that or no? how often does the throttle body need to be cleaned. saw this in the manual. not sure if this was a long term thing.

·
Registered
798 Posts
from what i understand theres no real difference atleast not for a tune lol

·
Registered
407 Posts
K&N = BMC Street. Take all of the guess work out of it and save a few bucks by simply replacing the K&N. I have yet to find to see proof that an aftermarket air filter increases horsepower.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. then i guess ill just clean the k&N every 3000 along with an oil change and call it DAY.

are you guys cleaning out the throttle bodies of carbon every time u change the filter or is that not needed? i just remember having to clean them once in 20,000 miles on my cbr and even then it wanst bad from what i remember!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hearing from what I believe is reliable sources, ... an aftermarket filter does NOT increase HP, a clean filter does. If you take a dirty stock filter off, and install a fresh aftermarket one on, there is an increase felt. but if you had put a fresh stock one on, and increase would of been felt.
Of aftermarket filters, BMC is getting better rep than K&N. If anyone can measure the difference between those two, they are way more sensitive than I am :)

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
kn are junk. get a bmc or that new one. can't remember the name. my kn was falling apart. found a dam bug on my stacks where it got through the crack. piss me off. bmc all the way.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont think i would be able to sleep at night with the thought of a paper stock filter in my airbox! I have been a K&N fan since i was 17 since and have always noticed great results from them. If K&N made resperators i would wear them at work!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well when i hit the 3000 mile mark ill order a BMC street version filter and give that a try. as long as there would be no need to tune because it flows the same as K&N at least ill have a better quality filter! Thats the biggest thing here. I dont wanna retune. It was tuned with my K&N.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
screw those, the bmc race. haha its killing you isnt it? cmon man who cares, just anything but k&n:wink: the most you may squeeze out of a filter may be 2-3hp top end.

·
Registered
407 Posts
ok. then i guess ill just clean the k&N every 3000 along with an oil change and call it DAY.
Don't forget to apply oil to the K&N air filter- afterall, that is what helps to collect the dirt from the "increased" air flow.

From K&N's website:
The Importance of Oil
A K&N Air Filter is made of 4 to 6 layers of cotton gauze sandwiched between two epoxy-coated aluminum wire screens. The cotton is treated with a specially formulated grade of oil causing tackiness throughout the cotton’s microscopic strands. The nature of the cotton allows high volumes of airflow, and when combined with the tackiness of the oil creates a powerful filtering media that ensures engine protection. In contrast, most other media can not maintain the same balance of airflow and filtration throughout the filter's life without sacrificing one or the other. With a K&N Air Filter, there is no sacrifice.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Don't forget to apply oil to the K&N air filter- afterall, that is what helps to collect the dirt from the "increased" air flow.

From K&N's website:
The Importance of Oil
A K&N Air Filter is made of 4 to 6 layers of cotton gauze sandwiched between two epoxy-coated aluminum wire screens. The cotton is treated with a specially formulated grade of oil causing tackiness throughout the cotton’s microscopic strands. The nature of the cotton allows high volumes of airflow, and when combined with the tackiness of the oil creates a powerful filtering media that ensures engine protection. In contrast, most other media can not maintain the same balance of airflow and filtration throughout the filter's life without sacrificing one or the other. With a K&N Air Filter, there is no sacrifice.

That's marketing for ya!

Ya ever tried breating through a dry shirt, then a wet shirt? Granted it's not a totally wet filter you should get the idea.

Also while you're at it, look at AEM Brute Force filters...far better filtration and more flow than K&N...no these are not filters for our bikes but it goes to say that an oiled filter is not superior to a dry filter...

I'll take the BMC thank you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
That's marketing for ya!

Ya ever tried breating through a dry shirt, then a wet shirt? Granted it's not a totally wet filter you should get the idea.

Also while you're at it, look at AEM Brute Force filters...far better filtration and more flow than K&N...no these are not filters for our bikes but it goes to say that an oiled filter is not superior to a dry filter...

I'll take the BMC thank you.
BMC need to be oiled after cleaning as well...

From BMC's website:
DESIGN AND MATERIALS
Qualified engineers using advanced software and expert technicians using the latest technologies produce BMC air filters. An F1 filter must be very light, must be made of the best raw materials and must improve performance. For this reason we use only alloy mesh with epoxy coating to ensure protection from petrol fumes and from oxidization due to the humidity of the air. The filtering material is composed of a special cotton gauze soaked with low-viscosity oil to give you the best air permeability.

As I stated earlier, have yet to see proof that any aftermarket air filter increases a bikes horsepower. In fact Dan Kyle posted on the WERA message board with testing, it did not make a difference. An AMA Team owner that I asked about this very issue had a similar observation. An engine builder that I consulted with on replacing my stock air filter with an aftermarket air filter said no difference. Post it up if you come accross something that shows otherwise.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
BMC tend to be regarded as the better product than the K&N for the Kawasaki ZX10R. It had also been mentioned a stock filter performs better than the K&N.
For the record I have a BMC Race filter in my Ninja.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
A better or cleaner airfilter is going to give you better performance to an extent. I have picked up a tenth of a second in the quarter mile when i yanked out a perfectly cleaned airfilter out of my bike. A tenth of a sec is around a car length in a quarter mile race. This should answer your question.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I know for a zx14 if you remove the air filter you gain 4hp peak rpm and 2-3 across the whole rpm range.............

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
BMC need to be oiled after cleaning as well...
:bitchslap That I did not know. Thanks for providing the info.:badteeth:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts