Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so everybody knows and for any advise. I had a isuue with no. 2 Piston earlier this week.
I had a knock noise generate in the top end of the engine. FUGG!. I used a mechanics stethoscope and determined it was in the top half of the engine. I pulled the head off on the bike. No problem since I did the head gasket and intake cam a few months ago. 4000 miles ago before the eneducated mechanic jokes start. I have had no problems whatsoever until now. Anyway when i got the head off I noticed something has been in no 2 cylinder. It has severely beat the piston and the combustion chamber. I have already pulled the engine and took just the "short block" to the local shop to have the pistons replaced. I did find a piece of metal in the cylinder that apperared to be the culprit. The shop tearing the block down will investigate what the piece I found was. I am out of ideas of were it came from. So my plans as of right now are to replace all 4 pistons with 2 mil over pistons. The block will need bored and replated. I will then send the head to carpenter racing to have their work done to it. I talked to them earlier today and thought about sending the complete engine to them. After a few phone calls I decided to have the local shop do the engine and let carpenter do the head. Has anybody made a 1051 out of their bike? What difference did it make? iMy main concern is overheating. I figured I would play guinea pig with mine. I will take some pics of the head tommorow evening before I box the it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,354 Posts
will deffinently be an interesting bike after the Mods. Keep us informed on the progress and results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
Let us know the outcome and the $$$ spent. I'm curious where the metal came from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
The metal is probably off the skirt of one of the pistons. :dontknow:
Depending on the compression will determine if you are going to have problems with it running hot. 2 mil over shouldn't be a problem. I would want all the machine/motor work done by the same people though. Just my .02, good luck and keep us posted :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,261 Posts
I had thought about doing the upgrade seeing as my motor went boom. I still haven't decided yet as of what to do but I am leaning more twords the 1051 kit. And yes both je and wiseco do offer the kit but you will have to let carpenter know if you do increase cc's so they can do the head accordingly. But if you get yours done before I do let me know how it goes and if you ran into any issues. With the extra displacement you will no longer be able to compete in some racing classes if you are into that. This is one of the things I hadn't thouhgt about before. But anyway good luck and keep us informed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maze said:
I had thought about doing the upgrade seeing as my motor went boom. I still haven't decided yet as of what to do but I am leaning more twords the 1051 kit. And yes both je and wiseco do offer the kit but you will have to let carpenter know if you do increase cc's so they can do the head accordingly. But if you get yours done before I do let me know how it goes and if you ran into any issues. With the extra displacement you will no longer be able to compete in some racing classes if you are into that. This is one of the things I hadn't thouhgt about before. But anyway good luck and keep us informed.
The wiseco piston kit was ordered thursday and should be at the shop monday. I am calling carpenter monday to make sure they have all the info they need before I ship the head to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,259 Posts
If memory serves me correct I think Wiseco now owns JE. That being the case I wonder if there's much difference between the two slugs? They may both still work independantly I don't know for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
i too have called carpenter and asked about the 1051, just make sure he gives you the info on the throttle body mod he does and send your cams so they can be ground to his specs to compliment the head work. If you want max performance its worth the money in my opinion. might be in my list of things to do this winter, good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rated zx said:
i too have called carpenter and asked about the 1051, just make sure he gives you the info on the throttle body mod he does and send your cams so they can be ground to his specs to compliment the head work. If you want max performance its worth the money in my opinion. might be in my list of things to do this winter, good luck
Part of their 5500 kit is a set of webs cams. I hope I get the cams and some degree numbers from them. I plan on having an extensive conversation with them monday. The only bad thing is I just bought the kawi intake cam a few months ago. I might throw it up in the classified section depending on how my conversation goes monday with carpenter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
bluebyyouz said:
I broke it in to the factory reccomendations. I will admit once or twice during break in I had to play. But I never did anything brutal to it.
Interesting... I believe that's how to break them in to. I wonder if anything would have been different if you'd broken it in hard. I'm sure those that believe in that will say that if you had done it that way your piston would have been fine! lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dr_wookiee said:
Interesting... I believe that's how to break them in to. I wonder if anything would have been different if you'd broken it in hard. I'm sure those that believe in that will say that if you had done it that way your piston would have been fine! lol
I wont know for a couple of days what happened. i only can see the aftermath of the failure. As for break in is concerned I was used to riding an 929. I didnt think A few more cc's could make that big of a difference. Needless to say this bike demanded respect from the very first day i rode it. No matter how much i ride it, it still surprises me. So break in was really for breaking me as rider in on it more than the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
Yeah, I found out first hand that a broken piston skirt will result in a tap, tap, taping sound. (on a sb chevy, not the 10). Is the big bore stock compression?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
Gunner said:
If memory serves me correct I think Wiseco now owns JE. That being the case I wonder if there's much difference between the two slugs? They may both still work independantly I don't know for sure.
Wiseco, and JE are different companies as far as I know. JE, and Carrillo that make rods are the same company. From what I hear JE is a better piston over Wiseco. Not saying anything is wrong with Wiseco, but I have heard of a few unsatisfied customers. I've never heard any major complaints about JE, only praises.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top