Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all,
i purchased a loom and ecu off here about 6 months ago and set about cutting it up for my race bike to get rid off the key and lose all unwanted wires. its been on and off the bike alot, as i can't get it working.
each time i sort one problem and discover another and i think i have hit my brick wall with it!
i'm reluctant to take it off and put the uk, keyed loom back on, so all advice is welcomed.
the fuel pump is working, i've bridged the cut out switch wire, put the resistor into the loom, all electrics are coming on, but she just turns over like there's no spark at the plug. ?????????????
can anyone shed any light onto this??
HELP!!
thanks
john
its an 04/05 zx10r by the way.
:dontknow:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I hate to sound like a smart ass. But, check for spark. Pull one plug & see. Next i would check the fuel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there seems to be a weak spark, and not there very often, and fuel is fine.
i wish i'd bought one already done now :sad:

·
Registered
819 Posts
nah dont give up man! Kick stand switch has been removed right? Those wires can be tied together. The tip sensor will be the toughy, getting the resistor right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, gone through it now and the symptoms are:
no spark at all at plug, no voltage going into the red wire
gear position sensor is not changing, just at 4.9v no matter what gear is selected
bike turns over, tilt switch has been left on and resistor is correct and on the correct wire.
i think i may have got a little to excited with the side cutters when removing the unwanted wires!

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
you need to buy a race harness there are resisters that need a certain ohm and this is why they sell race a harness.. i have never seen cutting a stock harness work! sorry man!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
other things not working are the secondry butterfly motor and the power commander is not powering up!!!!!! i seem to have broke it :sad:
MagicMavis i need your help please pm me with any help. like have i missed a resistor anywhere? i've got the one on the grey wire but have i missed something?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ohh. Note to self. Dont fuck with the wiring harness. I think I can live with the extra Lb of weight. Would be nice to clean-up all thosse loose ends tho.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
didn't ever intend this for weight loss, i'm sure i could shit out more than that the morning of a race, and with 206bhp it won't make a blind bit of difference.
the bike is an ex british super bike, but the guy i bought it off got it cheaper from the team as they took the motec off and replaced it with a standard loom and PCIII. the loom is a mess and this bike has become a labour of love and i just wanted to tidy it up an get rid of the key and kiss system thats bolted to the air scoop and flaps around as it has harris adjustable yokes with no key holder. its a shame to have this bike with all the bits on and a messy loom and key system flapping around at 200mph.
its got:
harris adjustable yokes
harris adjustable lengthened swing arm
pvm 16.5" wheels
ohlins forks
ohlins shock
brembo discs
ap racing calipers
big carbon airbox
billet bell mouths
akrapovic full titanium exhaust
race technology dash and GPS logging system
tuned to bits engine
its got lots of trick bits all over it, and i'm sure if you seen the bike you'd understand why its something daft, and simple to some, like the loom that lets it down.
if some one knows how and if anyone's interested i'd send some pictures to post up. not got a clue how to do it myself!! :smile:
cheers
john
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
492 Posts
^^ Me 2. Sounds wicked.
I wish I could help with your elec prob. But I had problems with the Tip over sensor.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Unless you know how to read your schematics good and what they should do in a given situation you are wasting your time....for example the Gear position sensor that's an easy one to trace why it only has the 4V and doesn't change on the others....then there are countless jumper blocks, then there's the fact you bought an ECU you don't even know if it works
i purchased a loom and ecu off here
:badteeth: ..you may be better off starting with know good components and going from there.

bloo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if someone sends me an e-mail address i can send pics too that could post them up i'll do that, no problem. the bike is a beauty! :smile:
bloo, do you know of any good components going? or a loom? or does anyone?
a guy offered me a loom on here before and, 5 months later i really wish i'd have bought it. but i thought i understood what i was doing!!! done looms on carb'd bikes before, but i think i've got out of my depth a little!!!!
:eyecrazy:

·
Registered
50 Posts
hate to kick a guy when he is down but it sounds like you fried the ecu(no spark, no power to the secondaries) check the main fuse(red cap just below main positive off battery terminal)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have an '05 harness modified by Peter D Motorsports for use in a race car. I think it would work for you. It worked great in my race car. I've since changed engines to the second generation. I paid a lot for the modification, but will be happy to sell it for $100.

Let me know if you're interested.

on edit: I think I have an ecu, too. Package deal? Make an offer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how lucky am i!! russmcb pm sent!!
i've loaded a pic of the bike into my profile, its not big...........but size doesn't count! :smile:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
shit! :sad:
Go for the package Deal, Russ is a good guy I bought things from him before..he will work something out for ya. :thumbsup:

bloo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts