Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i guess i am an idiot. Have a linksys wrt54g wireless router. i set the main password, no biggie, set the router id up, no problem. now comes the damn encyption for wireless.

i have it on security mode = wep
default transmit key = 1
wep encryption = 64bit 10hex
passphrase = "i put it in, not sure it matters"
and then it spits out 4 keys, i save it.

my roommate gets on no problem, i got on once, now i can't, we've reset the router etc. whats the deal? does each wireless computer use a different key? can we all use the same key? i have all these security modes, is wep the best? do i need something special for 128bit? tell me!!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
First if you can run WPA or WPA2, do so. WEP is useless as it can be hacked in 10-15 minutes by any script kiddie...even 128 bit WEP.

But if you have to run WEP, you only use one of the keys that is generated from your pass phrase. Try deleting the profile for the wireless connection on your computer and set up the connection again to see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it says i can, do i need to have something special? both of our laptops say we can use wpa

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok then, i'll give that a whirl

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
Ok, i guess i am an idiot. Have a linksys wrt54g wireless router. i set the main password, no biggie, set the router id up, no problem. now comes the damn encyption for wireless.

i have it on security mode = wep
default transmit key = 1
wep encryption = 64bit 10hex
passphrase = "i put it in, not sure it matters"
and then it spits out 4 keys, i save it.

my roommate gets on no problem, i got on once, now i can't, we've reset the router etc. whats the deal? does each wireless computer use a different key? can we all use the same key? i have all these security modes, is wep the best? do i need something special for 128bit? tell me!!!
I bought the same router 2 weeks ago. Everything looks good except passphrase should be blank and the 4 keys are where you enter your encryption key. I only use the first one unless your want more encrytions. Must be at least 10 numbers. I got linksys to help me set it up.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, we got it all set, have it on WPA. not sure what the deal was but seems to be running fine now. thanks guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts