Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Winter upgrades... Lets hear it guys

17K views 110 replies 33 participants last post by  zx racer 
#1 ·
Hey guys i know its winter time which means no racing for most of us but would like to hear wat changes you'll made or in process of doing over the winter and wat plans goals youll have for this year when the tracks open back up... So lets hear it guys :biggrin:

#89 ·
before whats done was running 60 1.9 1/8 107 @7.28
on stock set up/swb and 10 year old clutch finally went out on first tnt with all this done wensday busted the rivet in the basket. smoked the tire the whole way on street tire

whats been done so far :
a 6-10 on the swing arm
new zx bar ends
zx rear spools
sunstar steel +3
sunstar -1
brocks front in strap lower to 2'' of rebound
2'' lowering link

awaiting:
new dragpack clutch
new clutch basket
wrapped body and tank

#95 · (Edited)
heading to cup race fri-sun this coming wknd.made my goal of 5.40's barley at 5.49/131, went 8.52/160 last race, goal in 1/4 is 8.40's. little gearing change, lost 6 more lbs, little engine tweaking, good air no headwind think i can make it. once done, gonna skip the 30's, go 20's on motor 1/8 1/4. hand clutch, full trim streetbike .

#102 ·
Not exactly winter, but, I have done more upgrades to my gen 3. Air shifter is installed, tether kill and the latest is the MSD launch master. I also changed my shift light from the traditional summit racing round light to a red LED strip that's secured around my instrument cluster.

Anybody had luck replacing the OE shift linkage with a direct bolt on, meaning there is no longer any linkage?

I did this with my old CBR and it worked great. Pulled the linkage off and put a shift lever from a VFR on there.

#104 ·
The race season for me has come and gone. I bested a 9.55@ 146 this year. 16/45 gearing, 2-step set at 4500. My 60's, on a good run, are mid to high 1.50's.

During the off season, I plan to dump the stock swing arm and extensions and go with a 10-14 arm. Also, I've already ordered up a 46T rear sprocket, I may order up a 15T front, just to have it on hand if I decide to change it next year.

Hope your season was good to you!

What plans do you have for your bike for the off season?

#105 ·
Good times man your starting get handle on that bad boy. My plans this winter is to loose 30 or 40 pounds so i can compete with youll fast guys ;) get my wheels powder coating and some new rubber mounted for next year race season.

#106 ·
As an added bonus, in search of running 9.20's next year, i'm also going to be re-doing my suspension setup. After the extended arm is on, i'll be replacing the OE rear shock with a OE busa shock, thanks to GAZX. Up front i'm planning to drop in a pair of slammerz. Any body use the slammers and a busa rear shock? I've watched the brocks video on suspension setup, just not sure what the school of thought is. Full soft, full hard, hard front soft rear??? Ultimately i'd like to be able to wind the bike up, aggressively drop the clutch and not have it pull the front end up, not too much anyway.

#107 ·
I'm gonna do a swingarm vs. Extensions, also plan on shedding some weight with taking off anything the bike "doesn't need" headlights etc etc. Also wanna do a graves headpipe for more midrange hit and improved 60s. Air shifter, and maybe just maybe some mild head work. Port and kawi.Race cam or 5th gen cam setup. We will see. Need to do more research.

#108 ·
So far this winter my bike has been outfitted with a black/green motorcycle cover and left sitting on the stand. Hoping Santa brings me a swingarm.

#110 ·
Our winter with no track riding only lasts about 2 months before we are back riding in circles and quite frankly the only thing I am doing to the Zed-X is changing the oil and installing fresh tires.

The RC51 however is getting some love in the form of early development work on an Ohlins TTX-GP to replace the conventional shock that has served me so well for many years

I'm really stoked to get it back out there and do some proper evaluating

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.