Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Ivan's smog block plates tonight so I have to do that soon.

Planning to put in a speedohealer, a healtech x-tre, and an auto-tune this winter too.

What I'm on the fence about it going up 2 in the rear. I went down 1 in the front and it feels good, haven't wheelied, but I'm still unsure of messing with the rear sprocket. Will I need to extend my chain if I plan on going +2 in the rear?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
i love how the speedohealer retains your top speed:)

also i have the atre on my 09 and im really liking the Gear indicator

good luck with your mods

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But will I need to lengthen my chain for a +2 rear sprocket?

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
you wont need a longer chain if you have between 1/2" to 3/4" of area to bring your chain adjusters forward.. i went +3 on mine and it moved my tire up about 3/4"

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you are down 1 in the front and still not wheelie-ing then I assume you have never gone full throttle in first or second gear? I have stock gearing and I have all kinds of trouble keeping the wheel down (see avatar). Either way, good luck with your mods and let us know what you think after install.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might have, but it's a gradual roll if I have. Tallahassee there's only road enough for one gear...

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,136 Posts
no you dont need alonger chain. -1frnt and + 2 in rear you will be fine. i had that setup but thought it was just over kill. i have just -1 in front now with 520 did erv3 and love it still.
But will I need to lengthen my chain for a +2 rear sprocket?

·
Registered
242 Posts
chain length is fine. I went -1F and +5R and had to lengthen mine a little

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ill give you my stock chain, you pay shipping and then all you need is a couple of links. Or I can send you how many links you need. I have a chain tool so I can break how ever many u need.

Btw: I'm -1,+1 and its a good setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What you should do is go down two up front and up two in the rear. That's my setup. Can you say torque!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What you should do is go down two up front and up two in the rear. That's my setup. Can you say torque!!!!
That might be a little much for me. I just want a setup for a bike that I'm never taking to the track. Something that won't have me bogging down and riding the clutch out off the line every time I'm at a stop light.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
blkzx10rdc5 said:
Clark6592 said:
That might be a little much for me. I just want a setup for a bike that I'm never taking to the track. Something that won't have me bogging down and riding the clutch out off the line every time I'm at a stop light.
That's a "little" much for anyone unless you want to wheelie everywhere you go or race on a go-kart track.

I haven't rode a GEN3 but I would think the -1 in front would be plenty to help with takeoffs like you mentioned. Maybe I'm just used to these bikes not having much low-end. :dontknow:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well going -1 in the front really did help and made it a lost smoother, but off the line I still have issues with sometimes. I guess worst case scenario I can just switch back to the -1 setup if I don't like -1 +2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's a "little" much for anyone unless you want to wheelie everywhere you go or race on a go-kart track.

I haven't rode a GEN3 but I would think the -1 in front would be plenty to help with takeoffs like you mentioned. Maybe I'm just used to these bikes not having much low-end. :dontknow:
well your close I do wheelie everywhere mostly slow wheelies. And do race on the track but not for go-karts. But on a serious note, -1 & +1 would be good for most riders and also if u don't want to bog from a start try 1/5 throttle. But be careful it is very touchy. Nevermind just noticed you already have it lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts