Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you store or suggest storing the bike outside during the winter for long periods of time.
Currently I have a full tank of gas.
The wheels are up on 2x4's on cement.
And a bike cover.

What do you do?
What do you suggest?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Fuel stabilizer and a battery tender are the only ones you've left off the list. Run the bike long enough to get the stabilized fuel through the system and then top up the tank again.

Do not touch the bike again until spring. You DO NOT want to run the bike for short periods in the meantime. Hands off the bike unless you're going to take it for a decent ride.

Reactions: kanwisch

·
Registered
88 Posts
Fuel stabilizer and a battery tender are the only ones you've left off the list. Run the bike long enough to get the stabilized fuel through the system and then top up the tank again.

Do not touch the bike again until spring. You DO NOT want to run the bike for short periods in the meantime. Hands off the bike unless you're going to take it for a decent ride.
Is there something wrong with shorter rides, aside from that they will not charge the battery much?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Is there something wrong with shorter rides, aside from that they will not charge the battery much?
If the ride is too short it won't burn off condensation built up within the engine and fuel system. In the winter of 2000/2001 I garage stored my 2000 Yamaha R6. I was new to the winter storage concept but knew enough to put in Stabil and not to let the battery go dead. I didn't have a battery tender at the time so I just idled it for 15-20 min every week until I noticed yellow sludge built up under the oil filler cap. I freaked out, figured I needed a warranty claim and trailered it to my shop. The master tech told me that I wasn't heat cycling it properly and not to even turn it on unless I can take it for a really decent ride to get it nice and hot. My lukewarm idling sessions, even though quite long and sufficient to keep the battery topped up, were causing small amounts of condensation to mix with the oil and turning it all into a milkshake sludge. The same thing happens with stored cars.

Reactions: damselfly

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Another good idea is to store it with ethanol free fuel. In my area of the world the only option left is 94 octane Chevron.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I formed a foam and the oil turned orange in color after I change the oil. It was 100d outside around that time. I just figured it foamed up because it was fresh oil. It went away after a little ride. 40 miles or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How do you store or suggest storing the bike outside during the winter for long periods of time.
Currently I have a full tank of gas.
The wheels are up on 2x4's on cement.
And a bike cover.

What do you do?
What do you suggest?

Thanks.
put tires up to 42 psi to help w flat spots, spray wd40 on the exhaust n bare metal or put it in the living room ;/

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need a tent or build a shed. I currently have 4 bikes that are running and driving. 2 that are in the works. I shed that I can fit them all in and get out of without moving any would be great. I need a garage. I should buy a house with one. But I need to wait for the next market correction. I do have a basement that is the size of the house upstairs with an outside door. But that 90 degree turn is the problem getting it inside.
I tried to start the bikes and take one for a nice ride and maybe drain the gas down so I could use some stabil. But 2 wouldn't ride. A valve stem on the bike I got to flip is trashed. The other just turns over for a second and stops and resets. I don't get that feature at all? Maybe a low battery. It is amazon cheap battery. Maybe its junk?
But if I could get it in the house I would. I would wipe the tires off before bringing it in just for the wife to be happy. And change the subject when she tells me that she doesn't want it in the house at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts