Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Winter Project: 04' 1051

Well, the time has come to start the build of a 1051 motor on my 04.
I expect this to finish around the end of January hopefully... I could start this thread later but i am bored at the office ok? :lol: I will do all the job alone since i am handy and have done it before 4-5 times, except the engine building which i will do together with my mechanic just to be sure...

I would like to especially thank Garth and Sextaafondo for answering all my pm's with their suggestions and their knowledge on engine building. And of course all the other members here, everyone has something good to contibute :thumbsup:. I will be open to any suggestions you may want to add.

I was debating for some time and i finally chose Garth's path, basically because i purchased his head at a good price! So to take out all the potential from it, i think i must build an engine like it (hopefully).

The plan:

Full Akra Ti + DNA air filter
JE 2mm oversize pistons 13.5:1
Garthbike's head raising compression around 14.5:1
Garth's Kawi race intake cam degreed at 107/104
Garth's race springs.
06 injectors
Cylinder overboring to 78mm
Falicon supercrank mod + billet clutch basket
Tranny undercut
Ceramic transmission bearings
Polished rods
Shift Star EVO kit.
Dynojet PC3 + Ignition + Hub + Quickshifter.
Garths Velocity Stacks (also have normal ones to check)
Ivan's TRE
Hyperpro Aluminum plates
Gaskets etc

I am hoping for 180hp at the wheel, which is enough for me. The bike is for street use and the occasional race (abprep07 are you ready? j/k man :thumbsup:). I can take pictures of every step if you like. Most of the parts are here. I purchased an extra set of everything from brothers here-thanks guys- (cranks,basket,tranny,cases,rods) just to be on the safe side if something fails.

The difficult part is to send them over to the US for the modding, this should take up some time.

The baseline map, with full akra + DNA (note: in PS and NM):

Attachments

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
hopin ya post some pics and how to descriptions on the cam and head gasket install as I am gonna be doin the same this winter!...GL with the build man!.....sounds like she is gonna be a screamer!!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I can't wait to see her done bud!!!

make sure you add a data logger to the list so you can have perfect tuning!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I like it. Do you or your builder have experience with 14.5:1 cr motors? If so, what have you found about running this compression?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes my builders have experience,2 of them are drag racing locally and abroad. If they use 14.5:1 :dontknow: Well, it worked great for Garth :lol:

I am pretty sure i am the first one here making such a mod, most of them are putting some cams/pistons or turbos.. I will be fun fo'sho :thumbsup:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah my motor was in the 14.5:1 range.... I never was able to CC any of the heads so I don't know EXACT CR's but I had 13.5:1 2mm pistons along with the head being decked 15 thou....

I ran that motor on pump gas only with maybe an occasional race fuel set up for the 40 shot of nitrous but only ran one tank of race gas threw it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
1st setback

The cases arrived yesterday, they were broken during transport :sad:
The packaging was...inadequate. Always bolt them together and put some more protection, not only air bubble bags and nylon..

Anyways, now i have to drop my motor and fully disassemble it. I will ride it this weekend and it's down...

Also got the race ecu in and the quickshifter. Waiting for the EVO and ceramic bearings.

Attachments

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
OUCH!! Did you have any sort of insurance from the carrier?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bad things happen to everyone all the time guys... Everything can be sorted out with some good will..

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
Bad things happen to everyone all the time guys... Everything can be sorted out with some good will..
:thumbsup: great attitude tasos!!
i'll rep to that.

wishing you a smooth as silk build from here on out man! goodluck:beer2:

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's pretty bad, they hit that pretty hard to break it like that.
It looks like it's broke in a noncriticle area. Are you going to have them repaired?

1 - 20 of 257 Posts