Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2021 ZX10R Street & 2016 ZX10R KRT Race build
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For purely cosmetic reasons.... I bought some winglets and painted them the same off black as my 2016 ZX10R. Paint is from the company called "Tough Up" I think...
Someone made a thread on zx10 FB page and I saw a good deal of the UK guys who painted the winglets to match their custom painted bikes.
Performance wise... I see no difference at top end speeds.

Look wise, it's a take it or leave it..Im sort of neutral, but it makes my bike stand out when parked. It def get more looks now than before the winglets.
>:)
Lets see what you have gents....

Attachments

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2021 ZX10R Street & 2016 ZX10R KRT Race build
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool .. .how do they attach?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
pretty simple. You have to remove the side panels to hook up one bolt and the rest is outside.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Theoretically they would generate downforce. And if so, then they should shorten braking distance by giving the front tyre more traction. But I would conjecture that the effect would be marginal and only really relevant when you need to stop from like 180 when there's plenty of drag to generate downforce.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Theoretically they would generate downforce. And if so, then they should shorten braking distance by giving the front tyre more traction. But I would conjecture that the effect would be marginal and only really relevant when you need to stop from like 180 when there's plenty of drag to generate downforce.

So you think MotoGP bikes utilize wings so they can stop faster. Got it. Seems they should put a wing on the back of the bike too then :crackup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same here. I liked how they look and was wondering if they do actually have any performance benefits (i dont believe the Puig marketing hogwash)
They really do offer more down force at higher speeds, but you would need to be on the race track in order to make them effective all the time. MotoGP and WorldSBK bikes have started utilizing them on their bikes. With street riding they are more comparable to giant wings on the back of cars; there for looks, not much else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Braking distance only needs to have one wheel to have increased traction. The winglet's utility for cornering is going to be limited if you don't have corresponding increase downforce for the rear wheel, and also the fact that cornering speeds are generally lower and thus the downforce wouldn't be as much due to the exponential relationship of air drag and speed.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
And why wouldn't they?

https://youtu.be/3Zu5_7lXFvQ?t=360

This guy seems to agree with me.

Absolutely bro, I'm sure he is a Factory Engineer and definitely has the inside scoop!

We certainly need more downward force on the front wheel to lift the rear wheel even higher during braking cause they just obviously cannot transfer enough weight onto the front wheel with carbon brakes even though the suspension travel is completely used up to the last mm. :wink2:

·
Registered
903 Posts
When braking at high speeds, there's so much downforce on the front tire that any effect from "wings" wouldn't be even marginally considered as marginal. The point of these things, in MotoGP is to keep the front wheel on the ground under heavy acceleration on straights so that electronics don't have to take power away from the rear wheel. In fact, most riders in Motogp don't necessarily like the wings because the bikes are harder to ride as it takes more effort to transition the bike at high speeds--so it's always a balance game of effort vs reward.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
When braking at high speeds, there's so much downforce on the front tire that any effect from "wings" wouldn't be even marginally considered as marginal. The point of these things, in MotoGP is to keep the front wheel on the ground under heavy acceleration on straights so that electronics don't have to take power away from the rear wheel. In fact, most riders in Motogp don't necessarily like the wings because the bikes are harder to ride as it takes more effort to transition the bike at high speeds--so it's always a balance game of effort vs reward.
Correct.

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX3 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
I've actually had pretty good luck with these (pre-modding) with the additional downforce. Enough to keep me from getting the shakes at least... post mod they're just not enough to keep the front end down but I'll keep them on for aesthetics!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts