Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 with Akrapovich non race exhaust. It's sitting on my counter right now completely dissassembled because I'm getting everything painted black..... anyways, I've always wanted a little more sound. What would happen if I were to say, remove 1 in of packing? I know I would increase the sound level slightly, but am I doing that at the expense of horsepower and or the current tone/pitch of the sound? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't think 1" will hurt you that much. I removed half of the packing from my micron and rode for about 6 months. Then I packed her full and tight. I couldn't really tell a difference by the seat of the pants.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
come on yall. i really don't know wether it's the right move or not to take out the baffling. I'll have until like wed or thurs to decide, then the parts come back from paint and she's going back together:dontknow:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
personally, I'd suggest leaving it be. You find it'll get louder as they "break in" (packing gets packed tighter). If you remove some packing, you'll significantly decrease the life of the packing. Plus if you have Carbon Fiber cans, you could burn a hole in the cans. The rule of thumb with CF cans is if you can't hold your hand on them, it's time to repack. That carbon sleeve isn't cheep to replace....

·
Registered
463 Posts
Removing the packing and or gutting the can will result in loss of torque. As stated above the can will get louder with time. The amount youre talkin about wouldnt make much difference in sound or power but as stated would affect the life of the packing......If it aint broke dont fix it, just ride it and it will adjust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts