Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so i bought a yoshimura alpha 3/4 for my gen4 and just discovered it wont fit because its ment for the gen5. Damn website has it listed for 2011-2016. The diameter is to large and angel is off slightly. Will the header from a gen5 mount to head of the gen4?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Alright so i bought a yoshimura alpha 3/4 for my gen4 and just discovered it wont fit because its ment for the gen5. Damn website has it listed for 2011-2016. The diameter is to large and angel is off slightly. Will the header from a gen5 mount to head of the gen4?
that is incorrect, the gen 4 and gen 5 header are same diameter and position the difference is the length the gen 4 from memory was shorter. I know because iv fitted gen 5 headers to my gen 4

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is incorrect, the gen 4 and gen 5 header are same diameter and position the difference is the length the gen 4 from memory was shorter. I know because iv fitted gen 5 headers to my gen 4
Ok so whats my options to make this fit (if possible)?

1. Install gen5 headers

2. Modify the yoshimura tip and weld it to the header sider? Since the ends dont slid together.

·
Registered
578 Posts
if you bought it from a website, send it back for the correct one, telling them it does not fit. Ski

·
Registered
578 Posts
I just saw your ad in the classifieds with the pic of the unit. did you check to see if this was supposed be installed WITH THE PRECHAMBER BOOM BOX still on the bike?

the headers for gen4 and 5 have the same diameter at the outlet. you could buy a gen 5 header, and this still wouldn't work.

this exhaust is either TOTALLY WRONG FOR YOUR BIKE, or
was intended to be installed with the boom box in place.

several slip ons are like this. Ski

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you bought it from a website, send it back for the correct one, telling them it does not fit. Ski
Was on the phone with themvthis morning and that is a possibility. I loose abit of money in restocking fees and gotta pay abit more for a different set up. I really like this exhaust. So if i can get a 100% confirmation that a gen5 header will mount to the gen4 head the. The exhaust will work. Only question at that point is will it mount up to the mounting point under the rear set.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you can get the gen 5 header to fit, it is beautiful, very colorful!

·
Registered
578 Posts
if you look on the yosh website... their 3/4 systems have the "horse shoe loop" looking pipe for the zx10r gen4-5, that runs from the header to the can.

they look NOTHING LIKE what your picture is. so unless YOU ordered the wrong one... I would fight those restocking charges.

don't buy a gen 5 header for this... it still wont fit. the outlets are the same.

both of my gen4 zx10r's have the arrow slip on for the 2016 gen5, they mount right to the gen 4 header. header outlet is the same diameter. you will be in the same boat... the exhaust you have is not for the gen4-5 kawi.

good luck. Ski

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you look on the yosh website... their 3/4 systems have the "horse shoe loop" looking pipe for the zx10r gen4-5, that runs from the header to the can.

they look NOTHING LIKE what your picture is. so unless YOU ordered the wrong one... I would fight those restocking charges.

don't buy a gen 5 header for this... it still wont fit. the outlets are the same.

both of my gen4 zx10r's have the arrow slip on for the 2016 gen5, they mount right to the gen 4 header. header outlet is the same diameter. you will be in the same boat... the exhaust you have is not for the gen4-5 kawi.

good luck. Ski
The R77 3/4 system has that pig tail design for the gen4. For the gen5 it doesnt have that and goes straight to the header. It was my fault in the end on this mix up. Their sub category says 2011-2016 for yoshimura exhaust but when u click on the alpha 3/4 system it says 2016. I missed that, so i dont blame the website. I like this system so im trying to to make it work. There is a local racer who is sponsered by the dealership and they are letting me borrow the oem gen 5 header to see if it will fit on the bike. Obviously the yoshimura pipe will fit to the header. The 2 questions is will the header mount to the motor and will the mount on the yoshi pipe mount to the mount under the rear set. It will mount to the passenger peg. If the header mounts to the motor and the pipe mounts to the mount under the rearset, im golden.

·
Registered
578 Posts
WHAT PART OF "THE HEADER OUTLETS ARE THE SAME DIAMETER, AND THIS WONT WORK DONT YOU UNDERSTAND?"
that mid pipe is wrong for the application.

Ski

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WHAT PART OF "THE HEADER OUTLETS ARE THE SAME DIAMETER, AND THIS WONT WORK DONT YOU UNDERSTAND?"
that mid pipe is wrong for the application.

Ski
How is it wrong? There is no mid pipe. Its all one piece that connects to the header. So basically what you are saying is the yoshimura alpha 3/4 exhaust made for the 2016 zx10r does not fit the 2016 zx10r.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
The mid pipe is what goes between the header outlet, and the muffler, ie: mid, or middle. you have it there in your pic. that pipe sprung to the can, is THE MID PIPE.

the header end outlet diameter for the gen 4, 2011-15 zx10r, AND the gen 5, 2016-17 are the SAME DIAMETER. (I am going to point out, this is the 4th time in this thread I have pointed this out).

so the mid pipe you have there in your pic, with the springs fastening it to the muffler... if doesn't fit into the end of your gen 4 header... IT AINT GONNA FIT IN THE 2016-17 GEN5 HEADER. I AM TELLING YOU YOU HAVE A FACTORY MISPACKED PIPE, FACTORY MISMADE PIPE (maybe yosh didn't swell the header end coupler to the correct size on this pipe), OR THE WRONG SYSTEM FOR A GEN4-5 ALTOGETHER... unless, you have an aftermarket or different header currently on your bike. Ski

·
Registered
148 Posts
How is it wrong? There is no mid pipe. Its all one piece that connects to the header. So basically what you are saying is the yoshimura alpha 3/4 exhaust made for the 2016 zx10r does not fit the 2016 zx10r.
Pretty sure that alpha goes straight to a gen 5 header. The gen 4 had a mid pipe making it a 3 piece unit including header. If you can get a gen 5 header to mount to your bike you're golden.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The mid pipe is what goes between the header outlet, and the muffler, ie: mid, or middle. you have it there in your pic. that pipe sprung to the can, is THE MID PIPE.

the header end outlet diameter for the gen 4, 2011-15 zx10r, AND the gen 5, 2016-17 are the SAME DIAMETER. (I am going to point out, this is the 4th time in this thread I have pointed this out).

so the mid pipe you have there in your pic, with the springs fastening it to the muffler... if doesn't fit into the end of your gen 4 header... IT AINT GONNA FIT IN THE 2016-17 GEN5 HEADER. I AM TELLING YOU YOU HAVE A FACTORY MISPACKED PIPE, FACTORY MISMADE PIPE (maybe yosh didn't swell the header end coupler to the correct size on this pipe), OR THE WRONG SYSTEM FOR A GEN4-5 ALTOGETHER... unless, you have an aftermarket or different header currently on your bike. Ski
I think you are completely mistaken and have no clue what you are talking about. This pipe is a 3/4 system for the gen5 meaning it removes the muffler and cat. And connects straight to the header once they converge into one solid pipe. I have no clue why you think it wont fit on a gen5 header. Here is how it sits holding it up to the gen4 with oem header. The yoshimura pipe is a male end and needs a female end to slid into. The yoshimura pipe slides on the oem midpipe/cat convertor no problem. So im assuming the gen5 header outlet is the same diameter as the oem cat on the gen4

All this being said, if the gen5 is the exact same, which means yoshimura fucked up, ill contact both the company and yoshimura and let them know the issue. I was on the phone with both of them earlier. Thankfully justin knapik (fireman) on here has his oem header at the dealership and both him and the dealership agree'd to let me borrow it to test fit it and see if this is the case. So ill find out in the next week or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
snake, I re-read your first post. I am assuming you are saying your header is too large of diameter, and the yosh pipe wont fit into your header outlet... is this correct? or is the pipe on your can too big, and is sloppy over your pipe?

believe me I know what I am talking about, I have 2 of these bikes. I will send you a pm with my phone number, call me, it will be easier, to talk v.s texting it out. I don't mind talking or helping. Ski

·
Registered
578 Posts
now I see that last pic, you are mistaken on terminology. that mid pipe you have in the pic is FEMALE ON THE END, THAT IS WHY IT IS SWELLED. it needs to fit over your male header outlet. you have the boom box gasket still on the header end. take that gasket off the end of the header in your pic. the pipes should mate together then. Ski

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sent a mag back but dont have a good long distance plan. But yea thats what im saying. As you can see from the picture above (which is upside down for some reason). The oem cat converter mid pipe slides over the header out let. So the header is a male end and the cat is a female. You can see the gasket material on there

The yoshimura is the exact same diameter so it wont slide over as the female end. So that means the 2016 header outlet has to be slightly smaller so the yoshimura can slide over it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
no, it means take the gasket off the header end, and mate pipe to pipe and it will fit. LOL! Ski

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it installed. I removed that gasket and she slid right on. Obviously it doesn't line up with that mounting point under the rearset. I can either go buy a bracket from the hardware store to extend it but it seems pretty solid so I might just leave it. Looks a lot better then the r77 imo. Doesn't have the pig tail curl for the mid pipe and just goes straight to the header. Ski thanks for the call and help, saved me some money and time. Althogh my back really didn't like me doing that so now I'm stuck in bed for the next few days watching movies.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts