Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Will a Gen2 Rear Wheel fit a Gen 1 10r?

3K views 36 replies 5 participants last post by  staciedaisy 
#1 ·
tried searching but couldn't get the answer, we have a 2004 10r with a bent rear wheel. just so happens there is someone local selling 2006 Rims for $120 and know someone here would know the answer.

its actually my girl's (staciedaisy) ride, i'm forcing her to ride my old F4i until we get this fixed...

thought about trying to get it straitened but it'll most likely need repainted or PC'd right? its got quite the wobble right now & doesn't feel very safe to ride in this condition.

thanks in advance guys!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
that is awesome news. i've had no experience with wheels in the past, we just pull the bearings from the existing rim & put them in the 06 & everything is good? how hard is that to do?

LOL you're in wichita, are you the ones selling these rims?

we need to go riding sometime!

would you recommend reusing old bearings or getting new oem?

#8 ·
Anytime! :thumbsup:

I just happen to be stuck at work, not doing much of anything :mrgreen:

If you two need a guy to mount and balance your tires... The guy that lives across the street from me ,Marko, has all that equipment and would help you out I am sure. I have his number if you want it.

#18 ·
Bearings

If you have to hammer out the old bearings I would NOT re-use them. To install, freeze the bearings and heat the wheel hub with a heat gun. Often the bearings will drop right in. If not , a couple of taps with a plastic hammer should seat them. Don't forget about the center spacer if it has one. You can get an inexpensive bearing driver set from Harbor Freight.:thumbsup:eek:ccasion1

#19 ·
If you have to hammer out the old bearings I would NOT re-use them. To install, freeze the bearings and heat the wheel hub with a heat gun. Often the bearings will drop right in. If not , a couple of taps with a plastic hammer should seat them. Don't forget about the center spacer if it has one. You can get an inexpensive bearing driver set from Harbor Freight.:thumbsup:eek:ccasion1
good to know! thanks for the advice MD

#28 ·
ok guys need a little help with this now.. got a used wheel off a 2007 model bike. stamped no's on the wheel indicate the same part number. got everything mounted, but when i put the 80ft/lbs of torque on the axle nut, the wheel will barely spin. i believe i have the spacers in the proper locations, anyone have a clue what i should do to troubleshoot?

i tore it all apart & put it back on with the same issue. i'm pumped brakes it doesnt seem to matter. it seems to catch in a certain area & spin freely in another.

#35 · (Edited)
ugggh i feel retarded. i got this resolved!!! a buddy suggested i double check the rotor was installed properly & sure as shit i had the thing upside down.. ugggh. the rotor bolts were catching on the caliper

i told him it was all his fault for letting me to the work myself... but we're so happy to be able to ride the 10r again. Cost me about $90 for the whole shabang... found the wheel on ebay super cheap & in great condition..

i wouldn't have been able & confident to do this purchase without you guys.. thanks to everyone so much!

#36 ·
ugggh i feel retarded. i got this resolved!!! a buddy suggested i double check the rotor was installed properly & sure as shit i had the thing upside down.. ugggh. the rotor bolts were catching on the caliper
i told him it was all his fault for letting me to the work myself... but we're so happy to be able to ride the 10r again. Cost me about $90 for the whole shabang... found the wheel on ebay super cheap & in great condition..

i wouldn't have been able & confident to do this purchase without you guys.. thanks to everyone so much!
You mean like this?

This is another commone mistake people make. If the rotor isnt facing the right direction the rotor bolts dont fight inside the counterbores.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.