Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a steering stabilizer/damper from a Gen 4 fit on to a Gen 5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I assume you are talking about the stock damper. Aftermarket will not fit.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I say that because I had revalved my OEM damper on my 2013. But still hated it, so I bought a manual Ohlins and stashed the OEM one on the shelf. Then when I bought the 2016, I pulled the OEM one off the 2016, put it on the 2013 and put the manual Ohlins on the 2016, leaving the 2013 revalved damper still sitting on the shelf.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2021 ZX10R Street & 2016 ZX10R KRT Race build
3,744 Posts
They said the the electronic damper is race valved. but the electronics settings 1 and 2 only allow for low/street legal automatic adjustments. you need the SCU to unleash high speed and race setting...setting 3.

Its said that the ohlins is a full race damper and just need that SCU.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
The aftermarket Ohlins as well as the OEM fit.
True. I was referring to the rotary style dampers. I would guess a Hyperpro would fit also. It's worth noting that, the installation of any "aftermarket" damper must use the stock mounting points, unless modifying the bike is desired.

I'm hoping to see a rotary damper soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They said the the electronic damper is race valved. but the electronics settings 1 and 2 only allow for low/street legal automatic adjustments. you need the SCU to unleash high speed and race setting...setting 3.

Its said that the ohlins is a full race damper and just need that SCU.
I had the Ohlins race SCU. It's not up to race duty, trust me. I just finished installing a manual one tonight. If you do any racing or aggressive track riding do yourself a favor and put your $ towards a good manual damper instead of trying to make the ESD work.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I should get my manual Ohlins back from Kyle racing tomorrow. Luckily I had a spare damper from an older Gen laying in the spares bin. I really thought about going the SCU route, but I'd rather drop another $100-$150 and get a GPR if/ when they actually produce a damper. I'm sure the re-valved damper will be just fine though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I should get my manual Ohlins back from Kyle racing tomorrow. Luckily I had a spare damper from an older Gen laying in the spares bin. I really thought about going the SCU route, but I'd rather drop another $100-$150 and get a GPR if/ when they actually produce a damper. I'm sure the re-valved damper will be just fine though.
My suspension tuner actually suggested looking for a manual damper from an older gen or certain years ZX6 and he could revalve and service it. But I didn't find many prospects and I didn't have much time before the next round so I bought new and it arrived no hassles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I'm talking about aftermarket, this electronic stabilizer just isn't cutting it for me. Will a gpr or hyperpro work from a gen 4 for my gen 5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
My assumption is, if it mounts to the stock fittings and has the correct length rod, it will work. Note however, how close the stock damper mounts to the steering stem and it's mm's away from the top triple clamp/ fork caps.

For certain however, the stock Ohlins (which can be revalved for $100) from any Gen will fit any Gen thus far. I think my current Ohlins damper is from an 07.

*GPR will not work. I have not seen a rotary damper for the Gen5's. The mounting is not the same between Gen4 and Gen5.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts