Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
GEN II Driver
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some input fellas. my wife has really expressed interest in getting a motorcycle. she went out on her own and took a riders course and is hooked. she's a buck nothing and 5'7". the only bike that really fits her is the ninja 250. i like the fit and weight for her but it's a total turd when you turn it on. also looked and had her sit on the sv650, cbr599, ninja 650 and they're all too big and heavy. anybody have a petite wife/gf that rides and can recommend a decent bike.

·
GP Star/Official Spam Spotter
5,756 Posts
i say a honda 599.
cheap, reliable, no fairing in case of a get off (i hope not), and for a woman 100 pounds more that enough power. i heard the cbr 599 has a big following in europe and my i be the first to say:ttiwwop: http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19594

·
GEN II Driver
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i like the 599 for her a lot. it fits and the ergos are good for her but i'm worried that it's too much bike for a first bike.

hot picture of my wife on my bike is at the top of my to do list.:wink:

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
definately a 250 would be the best to start and if she wants something bigger later then buy her a 500 or a 600 but for now a 250 would fit her best...just my .02cents.........

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My girl is like 5'4 and maybe 120'ish. She rides a GS500F (05). Your wife will get used to the balance of it. Mine thought the GS was too heavy, but then she built up her legs and got used to it.

I like the 650R...trying to get my GF to get on it, but she doesnt like the look of it from the front. Might be getting a 636 and lowering it for her.

Not sure where you are but if your in So. Cal LMK. I'm sure my GF will let your wife try out the GS.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
the 599 shouldnt be too much bike i had an 03 sv650 and my sister who is like 5'4 120lbs can handle it just fine. just gear it for top end like i did so they cant loop it. just have to adjust the bike for them so they are comfortable with it just like you would for yourself. dont get a 500 she will want something more in like a month. but just pick up a used 599 so much cheaper and insurance is way cheaper too.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hmm..Deigo huh..my home town. I'll see if my girl wants to head down there. We havn't done that ride in a month.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i just picked up the 650R for the wife. she is 5' 1 and seems to fit it fine. She came off a honda magna but said the bike is easy to adjust to. Keep in mind that with the 650R you cant lower it. definately would make a good beginner bike.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
We just sold my wifes ninja 500. She is almost finished with school and with all her work she hasnt been able to ride. She decided to sell it till she graduates and get a 636. She started out with a ninja 250. I wouldnt recommend that. She drove it for about 3 months and got tired of it so I had to sell it and pick up the 500. The 250 is an excellent starter bike but has no power what so ever. Thats the good thing about the 500. It has enough power to keep her entertained but not enough to scare her. It was a rock solid bike. We sold it with almost 12k miles on it and all we ever did was replace a fork seal. She put 5k of those miles on it( hard miles, she rode the piss out of that thing). The fit and finish on both the 250 and 500 are crap but they are reliable. The only draw back is its a little heavy and is ugly as sin.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't be afraid of going bigger. You don't want her laggin behind or not have a bike with enough guts to do a triple digit pass...my ex went small at first (600 Shadow), and was ready to get out of it in less than a year. My first bike was a monster (2300cc Triumph), and I wanted to grow with, and into it...

Just get the bike's adjusted to her specs and remember, not all bikes feel the same despite wet weight. Think CG. And engine power and size are not always indicitve of the bulk of a "bigger bike..."

The 919 weighs 14 lbs more dry, and should be a total of 3-4 lbs more wet (bigger fuel tank) than the 599. It is the same seat height, and fuel injected, for only $1K more (both are not "cheap" though).

Other contenders:

Suzuki SV650: $5949
Kawasaki Ninja 650R: $6299
Suzuki SV650S: $6449
Yamaha FZ6: $6799
Kawasaki Z750S: $7099
Yamaha YZF600R: $7099
Kawasaki ZZR600: $7299

Food for thought :helmet:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/honda_919/

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
My wife is 5'2" and I started her out on an '05 R6 without any problems, the only thing I did was lower it to give her a little boost of confidence. Don't make the poor girl ride a 250!

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
madnessracing said:
definately a 250 would be the best to start and if she wants something bigger later then buy her a 500 or a 600 but for now a 250 would fit her best...just my .02cents.........
:+1:

I have a lady friend who is 5' even and she started on one of these, then graduated up to a SV 650. Had her 650 lowered 2" and had lifts put on her boots...

·
Registered
56 Posts
ripper said:
what do ya'll think about the venerable buell blast?

My wife has a Buell Blast. Being vertically challenged, there weren't to many bikes that she felt comfortable on. It was a good bike for a brand-new rider, but we need to find her something else.

She was looking at either the 599 or the Ducati Monster 620.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts