Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I bought an 04 in March of this year from a Kaw place that purchased 3 program bikes directly from Kawasaki in California. Bike had 3 miles on when I bought it and I am told that it could have been used as a display, magizine pics, performance testing.

Anyways while doing my head gasket I decided why put some fresh plugs in. The plugs I pulled out are NGK 10 not what Kaw calls for in this bike. In fact Kaw can not even get this plug! The place I bought the bike from did not change them out nor do they have access to this plug. What is the deal? It does not look like a traditional spark plug but rather a glow plug with a large diode or whatever and nothing to arc to.

This bike ran extremely fast stock so I want to keep that plug but why would my 10 be different? Does anyone know anything about this wierd plug?

:idea:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
check to see if there is other unusually stuff on the bike and let us know. If the #10 you are referring to, relates to a heat range, it would be a slightly colder plug than nornal... ie., CR9EK. Since you said it's labeled NGK 10, I am inclined to believe it is a model number of one of their specialty plugs. Go to NGK's mc web and see what if any info is there. send us a photo if possible. :zx_green:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only way I can find this plug is in a performance kit for YZF-R6.

The plug say 10 on it and has etched into it R0045Q-10.

Whatever it is I am going to run it again because my 10 has always been faster stock with this plug than some of the others with more mods.

IF anyone has any info on this plug let me know!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NGK: Racing plug

10mm, 3/4" reach, 5/8" hex, gasket seat, resistor, surface gap, removable terminal nut, 1.1mm gap

Racing surface discharge plugs may be necessary in high compression applications or when valve/piston clearance does not allow for a ground strap and a retracted tip plug is not appropriate due to insulator/tip exposure. While they are nearly immune to preignition, they can be susceptible to fouling when used in colder applications. NGK surface gap plugs are hand made in Japan and constructed to withstand the most extreme racing environments.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That link says they are $275 plugs WOW! I wouldn't pay that even if they sucked me off, guess I'll pop them back in and run them to 10,000.

·
Registered
311 Posts
sweet yeah let us know if anything else is different on there. and thats ridiculous for plugs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing else appears to be different, the head gasket I took off was a 3 ply gasket vs the muzzy 2 ply. Only thing I can think of is that maybe Kawasaki sent the bike out for a dyno test with someone and decided to pop the plugs for a little extra hp. Like I said it was program bike bought by my dealer at an auction in Cal from Kawasaki. It had 3 miles on it when I bought it and the dealership did not put these plugs in it. Strange, I always new my 10 was special!

·
Registered
250 Posts
plugs

Wonder how they ended up in your 10???

Anyone find out if they can get them cheaper???

I would like to know if they work or help any...dyno???

Thanks

·
Registered
250 Posts
work or not???

Will these plugs work in the 04 zx10r???
I see them on the net in race kits for 600rr's and r6's...but will they work on our bikes....
I may consider trying them out and dynoing the difference...
Found them a bit cheaper...

Also would they work ok with nitrous??? I have a dry kit with 40 shot and do not want any problems...
Something was stated about not to use with colder apps...

Thanks

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Plugs are generally not worth much if any horsepower. The CR9EK that cost about $4 has been proven to increase hp (1-2hp) in other applications probably because of its dual electrode configuration. I can't believe anyone would spend $1,000 on a hp or two.

·
Registered
423 Posts
don't believe in getting more hp with only racing plugs. in racing motors the compression is higher and hotter they really need special parts. for our engine, it's waisting money

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
den said:
don't believe in getting more hp with only racing plugs. in racing motors the compression is higher and hotter they really need special parts. for our engine, it's waisting money
Very true....... The other purpose of spark plugs besides ignition is heat transfer. Superbikes, and full blown Supersort tuned bikes have very high compression. Even higher then those of us that have the thin head gasket. Basically they work like race gas. They allow higher compression while staving off pre-ignition. I've noticed my bike has lost some idle speed lately. The symptom reminds me of poorly gaped plugs. My bike only has 6700 miles on it, but I did put the Muzzy thin head gasket on. So I'm curious if my plugs are suffering from to much heat now. Only one way to tell. Like a dumb ass, when I last pulled my throttle bodies off. I forgot to put the idle adjuster somewhere I can access it. So I get to take the whole bitch apart again. Don't follow in my foot steps.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My theory

This is my overly-complicated conspiracy theory. I beleive that the bike is a "ringer". A factory massaged stocker built to run on the dyno. I bet if this is the case, if you pulled the motor apart you'd find that all the parts are weighed beyond tolerance and I bet that motor spent time (more) on a dyno before it made it to the chassis. Those plugs may not make more power, but insure less misfires (which happen all the time in any engine) and can help to make more average power. But nobody puts plugs like these in cause there layin around-they are there for a reason. Ever wonder why the mag. test bikes make more power on average than ours? We all know about this type of deception but think it's a little far fetched, but it happens on a level none of us can even imagine.

They are tricky bastards. BTW, Honda is well known as being the worst about this type of thing-but it ain't gonna do that cbr1000rr any good. I rode one and couldn't beleive the lack of power and slow (stable?) handling. I seriously think my 01 and 03 R1's would outrun one of these bikes as stock. Build quality is above average however, I must say.

So you know, I also beleive the aliens are watching me.

Mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts