Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sorry, but is this a trick question??? A 200/50/17 can only be 200mm wide.

The first three digits (200/) = width in mm. 200mm

The second digits (/50/)= profile or side wall height, but this number is a % of the width. In this case, the profile is 100mm.

The last digits (/17) = rim size in inches. 17in.

Based on your question, I assume you don't know how to read the tire numbers, therefore the above explanation.

Take care.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
sorry, but is this a trick question??? A 200/50/17 can only be 200mm wide.

The first three digits (200/) = width in mm. 200mm

the second digits (/50/)= profile or side wall height, but this number is a % of the width. In this case, the profile is 100mm.

The last digits (/17) = rim size in inches. 17in.

Based on your question, i assume you don't know how to read the tire numbers, therefore the above explanation.

Take care.
:+1:

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
There are variations in different manufacturer's though. That one tire review stated that a 190 BT016 was actually 193 wide, and some other manufacturer's 190's were slightly less than 190 at the widest point.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
yes, but do you think that any person will visually be able to tell, say a 200mm from a 203mm. No way. The numbers on the tires are going to be the main reference and little deviation should be present.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a trick question. As stated above different manufactureres typically hav different variations in sizes. Just curious if anyone really knew?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use 200/50 rear tires on 9 out of 11 of my bikes and my answer to the question is Bridgestones tend to be a little wider

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I looked at them and dunlop has the widest 200 and maybe Michelin, my bridgestone 190 looks like a 180 compared to dunlop and michelin

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I looked at them and dunlop has the widest 200 and maybe Michelin, my bridgestone 190 looks like a 180 compared to dunlop and michelin
I wondered this with my stock Dunlop, it looked wider than the Dragon Supercorsa and DCIII that I run now. What Bridgestone tire are you running that looks like a 180?

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
im running a 200/50/17 pilot sport and enjoy it. i was told by turboten that busa's and such were throwing 210's on their stock arms but they had to shim the rear sprocket out 5mm or so and throw on an offset front sprocket.

·
Registered
609 Posts
IMO wider tires aren't always better. I went wider and absolutely hated the way my bike handled. If you are just into cruising or drag racing, wider is fine, but the narrower tires like to fall into corners better. If your bike comes with a 190 from the factory, it will probably handle best with a 190. I'm not about to sacrifice handling for a "cooler looking" fat rear tire. Again, that's just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree, I am not building a race bike, building cutom set up, long and low, so tires make a big impact with ride height and overall visual effect.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Gotcha... in that case my vote goes to a Dunlop Qualifier. For some reason I think they always look really wide...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts