Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do the conversion this winter on my 06 ZX10R but wanted to know what makes the 07/08 ZX6R or late model ZX14 calipers so much better? Arent both the 6R and 10R 4 pad per piston? Is it because the 6R has Nissin calipers? I just want to be totally clear before spending the money. Any insight would be great.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't have any information to provide on the calipers in question..but I did want to make sure that you know of other options out there...such as CBR or Yamaha calipers.

I personaly did the Yamaha. $60 bucks plus a 12 pack for machine work.

You can read all about CBR calipers searching for a thread called 'The Breaks are fixed!!' And I can find the Yamaha thread for you if you want. Just want to make sure you got ALL the info to can handle before spending the hard earned cash on Nissin's

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,701 Posts
There are a bunch of theories on this, but no one solid reason that I've heard. The CBR calipers are 2 pads vs. 4 pads and work great. The ZX-6/14/concours calipers are the 4 pad Nissins and are awesome. I have the ZX-6R Nissins on my ride.

Some people think the steal pistons in the Nissins are the difference with heat transfer and that makes them less prone to fading. Personally, I think it's just an overall better design with tighter tolerances and better grade materials which makes the difference between the Tokicos and the Nissins. But what you need to know is that they are MUCH better than the stock Tokico's on the -10R with which ever way you go. Don't over think it, just do it.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
There are a bunch of theories on this, but no one solid reason that I've heard. The CBR calipers are 2 pads vs. 4 pads and work great. The ZX-6/14/concours calipers are the 4 pad Nissins and are awesome. I have the ZX-6R Nissins on my ride.

Some people think the steal pistons in the Nissins are the difference with heat transfer and that makes them less prone to fading. Personally, I think it's just an overall better design with tighter tolerances and better grade materials which makes the difference between the Tokicos and the Nissins. But what you need to know is that they are MUCH better than the stock Tokico's on the -10R with which ever way you go. Don't over think it, just do it.
:+1: The stock 10R calipers also tend to be very difficult to bleed properly.

Don't think about it just replace them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Has anyone swapped calipers on front and rear?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,701 Posts
We're strictly talking about the front calipers here. The rear caliper is virtually useless when riding hard and there's no big advantage to swapping it out for something else. The stock one is fine IMO and most people agree.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We're strictly talking about the front calipers here. The rear caliper is virtually useless when riding hard and there's no big advantage to swapping it out for something else. The stock one is fine IMO and most people agree.

I see that....:badteeth: Your explanation is all I needed. I've seen plenty of posts regarding the front caliper swap, but nothing regarding the rear. Thanks for answering my question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts