Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the ZX-10R is a capable machine, but why is it we feel the need to test those capabilities every time we are on it?

Of course, if I am the only one who does this please let me know so I can go fill out the commitment papers right away. :crackup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
:iamwithst
That about sums it up. Bikers are the only ones who really appreciate why dogs stick their heads out of car windows :lol:

For me it's more about the corners than the straight bits. Any fool can do 200mph is the road is straight, flat and long. Not everyone can tip into a corner using every bit of tyre, have the front walk across the apex and then leave a dirty great black line on the exit. That my friend, it ball breaking, heart stopping fun!

Although, just a quick adage from the other weekend...

A few of us headed up into the hills for a weekend of motorcycle debauchery. There were 17 of us on the Friday night, and 34 on the Saturday night. I rode 1000Km (600miles) in 4 days. On the Saturday those of us who had stayed Friday night rode down to meet the others on their way up.

We have found what is now termed a secret squirrel road, and wanted to share its joy. The road is made up of many short straights and open sweepers. There is nothing too tight, and there is the odd straight for those who like going fast. On one such straight there is a bridge. It's not a big bridge, more a hump to allow a stream to pass under the road. Image the road comes down a sweeping hill, goes straight and then back up again. Half way along the straight is the bridge. From the top of the hill it looks like a concrete patch in the tarmac. We're hooning by this point. We sweep down the hill and accelerate along the straight. I've just passed 100mph (or 110mph as the guy on the ZX12 behind me called it) when I find the bridge. I'm still hard on the power and the front just launches - and the back follows. I'm airborne at 110mph! Two weeks later I still can't get the smile off my face and the 10 didn't even twitch on landing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
we don't ride faster, everybody else is just going slow!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Riding to me is about the power and the freedom, the lane splitting, being able to lean the bike over and have your face inches from the ground, that long sweeper at 80+ mph. That feeling when some moron cager in a built tunner pulls up next to me and i fucking walk all over his dumb ass for even trying. A hot sunny day and the air flowing through the leathers. A group of riders that just get what I feel when we ride. 11,000rpms. Black tarmac. Damn I gotta go ride now.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Adrenaline?

I'm right there with you photomike. I was trying to top out the bike on this little back road, so I get rolling along around 100mph and as soon as I crested a hill with a clear view for a couple miles I nailed the throttle in 4th only to find a TT type hump in the road that got the back tire maybe 6" off the ground at about 130ish, but that was enough for it to spin up a little, give me a good kick in the seat and carry the front for a bit on landing. It felt like was flying! Part of me wanted to turn around and hit it again faster! It is definitely and adrenaline thing!

But there has to be more?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
once you've (at least for me) been to the track, riding on the street is pointless. i am never going to push my bike on the street like i did in the track. i still go out with my buddies and screw around and go way to fast, but not like at the track. i suppose most of us just get addicted to it. if i'm away from home for a while i miss my bike! i had to go to oregon for a training at the company hq, without the bike for 6 days. i think when i go back next month i'm taking it with!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm the kind of person that gets heavy into anything I attempt. I'm always trying to do better.......master a skill. It's always been that way with me. I will research and read everything I can find about a particular subject for months (sometimes years) before I even commit to, just to make sure it is something I really want to do, because I know how I am. I pour myself into my hobbies.
Musclecars, horses, archery (then bowhunting whitetail), catfishing, trout fishing, bass fishing (they are all VERY different), guitar, construction, chickens...... the list goes on and on. But sportbikes and riding are by far my favorite.

I think that riding sportbikes has become my THING. You know, everybody has thier THING, and this is mine.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think majority of guys how ride wrecklessly fast on the streets are trying to show off. i'm guilty of it and if you say you don't you're lying. I now rarely break 100mph on the street. Its wreckless and will get your bike impounded and license suspended. But get me in a good set of twisties and and I'll keep up with the best of them (my opinion). Funny story is a couple of guys I know have liter bikes and are always talking about how fast they are. I never paid any attention to them until they came over to my bike and were saying I had really large chicken strips. I had just put the tires on that morning. So I looked at their tires and saw they had a good 1/2" to 3/4" left on both sides. So I asked them if the wanted to go for a ride through the some twisties. They agreed so I told them I'd be right back. My buddy Jonathan and I went and dropped off my 10 and his gsxr750 and he grabbed his Husqie and I grabbed his 250R. To make a long story short we went got back and they were laughing. So we took off and blew by us on the freeway going 125 to 140 at least. We finally met with them at the beginning of Redwood Rd in Castro Valley. Its about a 15 mile stretch of really tight twisties. Lets just say at the end Jonathan and I were about 2 minutes in front of them. Moral of my encounter is fast in the a straight line proves you can twist your wrist back and hang on. Fast in the twisties means you know how to ride fast.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Same reason I snowboard and used to skydive...speed, power and agility. Riding such a capable machine is akin to flying a fighter jet without wings...and c'mon, who wouldn't want to fly a fighter jet ;-)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Let's see..... 307 jumps from a perfectly good airplane, 500 HP Corvette and of course The ZX10R.... seems to be a pattern. :hello:
Track days and twisties are great...But the Acceleration.... :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
329 Posts
Tis the rest of the world slowing down.

On my 10 I own the streets, Even cops thank me for stopping ( especialy when my helmet comes off and the see I'm black.) Some fly, some scuba dive but I choose the asphalt.:mrgreen:
P.S In therapy now so I might slow down. :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts