Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have been riding motorcycles for about 20 years now and just the other day I saw a younger rider on a CBR600RR and he put his foot down and dragged it on the ground. Am I missing something here? I thought this was an isolated incident but then I was riding again and saw someone else do the same thing. I know Rossi and other riders stick their feet out now when initiating a turn but these kids were going about 65mph in a straight line down the freeway:dontknow: Can someone please enlighten this old man as to why this is done?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Never figured it out in my 30 yrs of riding. About 15 yrs ago a guy I rode with quite a bit did it but I never asked why. I figured maybe to stretch his legs but didn't get the dragging part.

:dontknow:

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I know i've seen some of the younger guys here around town do a similar thing but it's when they're switching lanes and they just kind of stretch out a leg to let the traffic behind them know which way they're fixing to go.....not sure if it's the same thing but i've still yet to understand even that?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was he pointing a hazard out on the street? Sometimes if there is a pothole or piece of metal or roadkill, the person in front will take his foot off the peg and point it out.
No, there wasnt any hazard o the street. He just dragged his foot on the ground. Strange to say the least

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I put my leg out in a race going into a turn only when I'm sweating and my leathers are binding up { sticking to my leg restricting my movement } it helps to pull the leathers up your leg so you can stick you knee out better! I thought thats why every one did it?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Alright, I have been riding motorcycles for about 20 years now and just the other day I saw a younger rider on a CBR600RR and he put his foot down and dragged it on the ground. Am I missing something here? I thought this was an isolated incident but then I was riding again and saw someone else do the same thing. I know Rossi and other riders stick their feet out now when initiating a turn but these kids were going about 65mph in a straight line down the freeway:dontknow: Can someone please enlighten this old man as to why this is done?
Actually, it's very simple. It has nothing to do with young riders. The group I ride with has the youngest at 31. So thats squashed there. Its primarily done for stretching your legs. I know I do it alot, cuz at 6'6", my knees bother me with my peg set up. Its also done to clean your soles as sometimes there is debris stuck to your boots or even an oil patch, as most city riders put their foot down when they are at stoplights in front and may step on it. Its not a fashion statement. Hope it helped you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Whats with the guys with their feet up on the passenger pegs. I have seen that many times. Looks stew-pid.
I've seen riders with their feet on the rear pegs a lot & it almost always seems to signal a wheelie. I'm guessing it helps redistribute weight to lift the front a little easier, maybe makes it smoother. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
on long trips I hang my feet on the rear pegs. It also rolls my hips forward and takes some pressure off my taint. Just lay on the tank and watch for pot holes/bumps n the road. I figured this out when I dropped my bike and broke the bracket for the peg assembly. I had to put my foot somewhere cause a bungie corded peg and brake lever can't support my 220lbs ass. It will murder your hips til you get used to riding like this for extended amounts of time.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,371 Posts
Has it occurd to anyone that maybe these people who do this, simply do it because they felt like it?

:smile:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Most of the time it is probably just an attempt to look cool. I rode with a guy who bought a motorcycle jacket cause it looked cool but took the pads out cause he was too cool for pads...

He was always skating his feet on the ground. looks dumb!

It can be that some people are stretching their legs, but more often than not i'd say its probably just an attempt to stand out

·
Registered
269 Posts
I know i've seen some of the younger guys here around town do a similar thing but it's when they're switching lanes and they just kind of stretch out a leg to let the traffic behind them know which way they're fixing to go.....not sure if it's the same thing but i've still yet to understand even that?
The group I ride with uses this method of lane change signals with blinker,it's a lot more noticable then just a small turn signal when we are riding a large group. We also use the toe point (close to dragging) for dangers in the road,such as potholes,or debris to warn the riders behind. Works really well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
on long trips I hang my feet on the rear pegs. It also rolls my hips forward and takes some pressure off my taint.
:+1:
I do it for the exact same reason..had a potnah do it once & his shoe laces got stuck on rear peg as he was trying to remove his left foot, shyt if u have laces @ the very least tuck them shits in..Better yet get some riding boots without the laces.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I do it to either let another rider behind me know there is debris, or a hazard on the road. The next is to switch what side of the lane I'm going to ride in. Besides that maybe they like asphalt skiing?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I do it strech and for some reason i find myself sticking my foot out and touching the ground in town when making turns.. like im on a dirtbike or something.. i dont do it all the time but i have done it..

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
the guy i rode it just did it to look cool. would leave his feet down after a light turned green, and would make sure his shoes were scuffing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts