Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This pertains to cars and motorcycles. I guess maybe because i see it on a daily basis, then read threads on forums, it really makes me scratch my head. My only hope is that since they think they are mechanics, hopefully they will try and be doctors too, and take care of themselves. Of course I wont get that lucky.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I'm guessing because it's relaxing to wrench on your bike whether you know what you're doing or not. And how can you learn if you don't try? I wouldn't know how to do a lot of things had I not tried when I knew nothing.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
:iamwithst in my case I wish I had no idea how to work on my bike bec that would mean nothings ever gone wrong and life would be good

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
The problem doesn't lie in working on something and learning as you go; the problem lies in people that are either fully convinced they DO know what they're doing and they don't, or they don't know what they're doing and just half ass it the whole way.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I am learning lots about my 10 with the streetfighter project i'm doing. I am blessed though in having 2 bikes so i'm not worried about fucking something up and being without a ride. I was pissing around on the bike for 6 hrs today.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This pertains to cars and motorcycles. I guess maybe because i see it on a daily basis, then read threads on forums, it really makes me scratch my head. My only hope is that since they think they are mechanics, hopefully they will try and be doctors too, and take care of themselves. Of course I wont get that lucky.
To be fair to those folks, I'd guess some cannot afford to pay $80/hr every time a mechanic turns a wrench for them, or don't want to give up their money for that, or just simply enjoy doing it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
It's one thing when the "un-enlightened" owner works on his/her bike.....quite another when the mechanic working on your bike is an incompetent moron! :headshake

·
Registered
581 Posts
Being a mechanic isn't a natural human ability and you can only learn so much without doing it, getting the experience the hard way. I've worked on vehicles since I was 15, worked as a professional mechanic in the Air Force for six years, built my own car from scratch, and have worked on my own motorcycles for over 10 years. However, I learn something new just about every time I go to do something. I sure as hell wasn't any good the first time I did something...which was trying to install a tape deck into my 89 Astro Van...oh yeah :mrgreen:, but I learned my mistakes and now I can do a pretty damn good job on tasks I know nothing about. The major purpose of these forums is for people to get together and share their knowledge about a common passion. Yes you'll see the same questions over and over again, but they're new people (usually) each time that don't know about something yet. Some people don't even know there is a factory manual that explains how to do things, and some can't understand the terminology in the manual yet. Doesn't mean they're dumb, just means they didn't know about it yet.

Why all the hostility towards people working on their own vehicles? Are you an out-of-work mechanic?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
and have worked on my own motorcycles for over 10 years. However, I learn something new just about every time I go to do something.
I've been wrenching on bikes for over 40 years and also learn something new each time. Don't do much anymore besides routine maintenance. Now that I'm old and have the attention span of a gnat, I get someone else to do anything very tedious. Doing your own work brings a feeling of satisfaction (and safety). It's a good thing to know your own bike, especially since they are so powerful and have only 2 wheels! And save a lot of cash, too.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
there's no knowledge like first hand knowledge. makes it hard especially on internets cuz there are people who do know what they're talking about, however the ones who dont are usually the loudest, so you gotta take everything with a giant grain of salt and sometimes a shot of penicillin

·
Registered
729 Posts
If can afford afford a fuck up why not? Hell if that's how you see it I'd love to hear your opinion on virgins.
:+2: What does the op expect someone without the cash to pay a mechanic; who doesnt give a shit about your bike anyways, to do? Just let the bike degrade until its a pos, and unridable. This is how i learned as a teenager to be the pretty good mechanic I am today. I had hotrods that I liked to dragrace. I was turning my own wrenches on my BigBlock 466 with NOS so I didn't have to pay someone else to do it for me. If something broke, it was time to tear it apart and learn how to fix it.

It's one thing when the "un-enlightened" owner works on his/her bike.....quite another when the mechanic working on your bike is an incompetent moron! :headshake
:+1:

·
Registered
729 Posts
there's no knowledge like first hand knowledge. makes it hard especially on internets cuz there are people who do know what they're talking about, however the ones who dont are usually the loudest, so you gotta take everything with a giant grain of salt and sometimes a shot of penicillin
It is funny that the ones who are full of shit, talk the most..
Im a listener. Same goes when racing someone. I let them run their mouth and act like hot shit, then its even funnier when I smoke their ass! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
It is funny that the ones who are full of shit, talk the most..
Im a listener. Same goes when racing someone. I let them run their mouth and act like hot shit, then its even funnier when I smoke their ass! :thumbsup:
Kinda like the pompous asswipe at the gas station that comes over and says: "Nice bike, how fast you had it? Yeah, I got a Kazukasaki 1200 at home....had that sucker up to 220..had to slow 'cause I saw a cop." :lol:

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Lol my buddy had a Yamasaki. After he wrecked his I had leftover bolts and stuff from my bike from swapping stuff out and we used them to put his back together, I mean y else would he have ran a 10.3 on an r6??? Yamaha! Powered by Kawasaki!

Had a guy in his 40s a week ago stop me at the gas station asking abt my bike and what it could do and what I've done, but the kicker was when he asked if I rode it on the street...

I looked around for a second then at the rd and then back at him and nodded my head, I wanted to do a here's ur sign kinda thing so bad

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Lol my buddy had a Yamasaki. After he wrecked his I had leftover bolts and stuff from my bike from swapping stuff out and we used them to put his back together, I mean y else would he have ran a 10.3 on an r6??? Yamaha! Powered by Kawasaki!

Had a guy in his 40s a week ago stop me at the gas station asking abt my bike and what it could do and what I've done, but the kicker was when he asked if I rode it on the street...

I looked around for a second then at the rd and then back at him and nodded my head, I wanted to do a here's ur sign kinda thing so bad
Omg that's awesome

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
on my track bike i've wanted so bad to badges of other manufacturers all over it, and stickers for brands i dont use, just to see who'd catch on

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I am not an out of work mechanic, I gave that field up years ago as I learned you will never be able to earn a good living. Sorry I just was having a day yesterday, and felt like venting a bit, sometimes I just dont get it. Gets old somedays trying to be nice to people, doing free inspections, spending all my and my tech's time with them explaining everything just to have them let their neighbor do it to save $50. Then it comes back to me a week later because they messed it all up.

This was not so much about bikes and forums, but I do see some things here now and then that really make me wonder. I get people want to and need to learn, but really, if you arent so sure about an important component,m is learning on a bike that an hour later you will be doing 150 mph on?

·
Registered
102 Posts
No I am not an out of work mechanic, I gave that field up years ago as I learned you will never be able to earn a good living. Sorry I just was having a day yesterday, and felt like venting a bit, sometimes I just dont get it. Gets old somedays trying to be nice to people, doing free inspections, spending all my and my tech's time with them explaining everything just to have them let their neighbor do it to save $50. Then it comes back to me a week later because they messed it all up.

This was not so much about bikes and forums, but I do see some things here now and then that really make me wonder. I get people want to and need to learn, but really, if you arent so sure about an important component,m is learning on a bike that an hour later you will be doing 150 mph on?
It happens in my field all the time for computers. They dont want to pay me for my time, get some dumbass that says he knows what hes doing...They mess it up, and I get more work to do...and get to charge more for it.

I do a lot of my work on my bike...but fortunately I have access to a massive amount of tools. Just usually dont have a massive amount of time so still bring it into the shop, which on occasion I have to redo some of the work. Happens even to the best shops.

The only way to learn though is to just do it and those that break it even more, its really a blessing of more money...call it a dumbass tax.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts