Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used 09' back in august.

I have dialed in the rear suspension pretty well, still should back out the preload a little. But it's not bad.

The front though. ... it's rough. I took out all the preload and backed the compression all the way out and it still has only like 2" of sag.
The rebound is on 10 out of 14 and is still sluggish. I've watched like a million Dave moss videos and can't seem to get it right.

Maybe the preload springs are too stiff from the factory? Maybe the previous owner changed the fork oil shittily?

(I weight 145ish in gear, 5'10)
It really seems like the adjustments don't do much. No matter what I change, it feels pretty much all the same. Defently not confidence inspiring. I Took a video and will post it as soon as it uploads.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I would have the forks opened up and freshened up. Then you will know what springs and oil are in there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I do this my self? I would prefer to do all the work on this bike (except for valve adjustments)

Maybe If I downloaded a copy of the service manual?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Second vote for having the oil changed and the forks rebuilt. Whats your intended use for the bike?

Racetechs website will tell you what the stock spring weight is and recommend a spring for your weight and riding style. If the recommended spring is significantly lighter than factory, there is your problem.

If you can rebuild the forks yourself, you will definitely save some money. Just for reference, getting my forks done over the winter on my 13 with around 16k miles on it. I didn't realize how much effect fresh oil had on the suspension until 4 or so years ago on my gen 1. I'll be changing my fluids every other year from this point forward. :2cents:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm about 155lbs and had to change out the stock springs for 0.9's. Stock front end felt like treacle. Found there was too much oil in there from the factory so now have 110mm air gap. Preload is still backed all the way out for 25mm free sag, rebound also. Compression about 6 clicks out. I had to fit a 105N spring in the shock though

Also worth checking is that the fork legs are not pinched causing stiction

next time I change the oil I might try higher viscosity

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
:+1: To what the others have said.

At 145lbs, you're going to need new springs. You're too light for what the stock springs were designed for. The oil could stand to be changed since it's an unknown at this point. But unless the previous owner way overfilled it, it's not likely to be causing your issues with the sag. The damping certainly would be changed by the oil weight though. So if it's slow to react, lighter weight oil and lighter springs are probably what you're going to wanna do.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Should I do this my self? I would prefer to do all the work on this bike (except for valve adjustments)

Maybe If I downloaded a copy of the service manual?

Forks can be difficult to do yourself unless you have all the special tools needed to do the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts