Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as my title states... I remember reading about a week ago of a member installing the exhaust cam and he lost 6-7 hp throughout the whole powerband. Why would that be? Ive been an avid engine enthusiast for about the last 7-8 yrs. and normally when you put a more aggressive cam in anything it makes more power. Now remember ive yet to find specs on either the stock intake/exhaust or the kawi race intake/exhaust but one would presume that when a factory "race cam" is purchased it would be more aggressive, correct? Im just wondering b/c im planning on pulling my head off (the one on my bike pervs) pretty soon to get some work done and want to slap some cams in and the only kind i can find are the kawi race. Does anybody else produce a good cam? :dontknow:

·
Registered
204 Posts
The exhaust race cam is not more aggressive. It has less lift and duration than the stock. Right now my engine is out, got the thin gasket, intake race cam and I am waiting for the degree kit to do the degree on it. Also did some mild head work by myself. Hopefully will put me in the 175+ hp. The full TI Force is in the box awaiting impatienly.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This may be a dumb question but why the hell would you want a less aggressive cam? Do you know of anybody else that produces cams for the 10? yosh produces for suzki but why not kaw? i fig. thats got to do w/ the market. So many more people have a gix than anything. thats just the fact.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
The cam specs are supose dot be as followed:
stock = 8.5mm lift 290 deg duration
race = 8mm lift 280 deg duration I believ

I was the one who tired out the cam......I have also tried out an expiremental cam with bigger lift and duration than stock and I didnt see my #'s pass what it was making stock

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ yea i knew you were (from the avi) but didnt know your Screen name. I thought about calling Webb and seeing if they can regrind me a set of cams but was going to see if anybody else produced one before i spent that kind of money.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
once again thoguh theres not much gain on the exhaust side of this motor...... I'll let ya guys in on a lil secret....wel I guess I'll spill th ebeans on my R&D

I modified the stock intake cam to have a cam position sensor pick it up and its in the bike right now......the stock intake side is about .5mm larger lift and 10 more degrees duration than the exhasut side......it gives it the same +'s of #'s as the intake race does over stock......

I didnt gain not 1 horse power across the board with the bigger cam. My advise in my time messing around with this motor so far is just keep to stock exhaust cam!

mabey with a bigger motor it will like to breath a lil more so this cam might benefit there but on a stock motor I say stay with stock exh cam.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well to be honest garth in shooting for 180-185 rwhp

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Yeah well I'd stay with stock exhaust and race intake and the thin head gasket and mabey clean up the head and if you really wanna get a lil more ponies mabey mill the head a tiny bit to bump the compression a lil more mabey but I dunno how far you could go.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a local shop that ports the heads for all of the D.E.I. cars (Dale, Inc.-nascar for those that dont watch). Ive had him do some heads on one of my harleys and he does a jam up job! Im planning on gettin him to do some flexin on the 10 since he has a flow bench and his knowledge is on a level most wish they were on when it comes to all-motor. My only problem is i know i can make a shit load more power w/ nitrous or F.I. Ya know?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts