Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:heyyou: Wow just check out all those country's that's sending aid to our ppl in need! Does any body remember the bad mouthing us Americans got for our donation to the tsunami victims? Next time our government sends money for aid I'm going to bitch. :sad:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Im assuming noone is sending us aid?

Sorry Im a back woods hick that doesn't watch TV...:eek:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Dreadnought-arr said:
:heyyou: Wow just check out all those country's that's sending aid to our ppl in need! Does any body remember the bad mouthing us Americans got for our donation to the tsunami victims? Next time our government sends money for aid I'm going to bitch. :sad:
Yeah i think we should keep the billions of $ we send everywhere else each yr and focus on home.

·
Registered
168 Posts
They ARE offering to help. Well, at least one place is...

AFX News Limited
Venezuela offers oil and aid to hurricane-battered US
08.31.2005, 03:30 PM

CARACAS (AFX) - Venezuela has offered emergency funds and fuel to the hurricane-battered US, and is ready to send a humanitarian aid taskforce to assist US disaster recovery efforts following Hurricane Katrina, the foreign ministry said.

'The government and the nation of the Bolivaran Republic of Venezuela express to the United States and its leaders their dismay over the magnitude and consquences of Hurricane Katrina,' the ministry said in a statement.

'Venezuela reiterates the offer of President Hugo Chavez to send fuel and humanitarian aid to the United States to help alleviate the effects of this catastrophe.'

But US State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said that he is 'not aware of any such offers' of aid or oil from Venezuela.

Caracas's offer comes after months of deterioration in the relationship with Washington, which has branded Chavez a 'negative force' in the region.

Chavez had threatened to cut off oil supplies to the US, and after US evangelist Pat Robertson called last week for the US to assassinate Chavez, the Venezuelan leader accused Washington Monday of 'giving protection to a terrorist, who is demanding the assassination of a legitimate president.'
:fu2:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Instead of aid it would be nice if some of the countries we have given so called loans too just paid it back and if we had some of our troops back we wouldnt need help anyway.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
LordBadly said:
Yeah i think we should keep the billions of $ we send everywhere else each yr and focus on home.

I don't think that is a good idea :headshake helping other countries helps support the American way of freedom to other countries and shows them we are not bad people as other countries portray us. In fact, most countries look at the US first for help because we are a super power and expect us to aid in crisis situations. Changing to an Isolation country can have devastating effects on world opinions on the United States.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Most of the world hates us anyway and if they have oil they are scared of us they could have wmd and we will have to take them out.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
JOHNH said:
Most of the world hates us anyway and if they have oil they are scared of us they could have wmd and we will have to take them out.
Do you really believe most of the world hates us? ...and even if your right would it help to get more enemies for our troops :headshake I say we stay the course, keep fighting terrorism and continue to help countries in need whether they help us in kind or not. Sorry, but that's just the American thing to do. :wink:

·
Registered
223 Posts
bluedevil said:
Do you really believe most of the world hates us? ...and even if your right would it help to get more enemies for our troops :headshake I say we stay the course, keep fighting terrorism and continue to help countries in need whether they help us in kind or not. Sorry, but that's just the American thing to do. :wink:
Problem is, if we don't send aid, we are called insenstive and uncaring. If we send aid, we are called imperialist, and that we are trying to impose our lifestyle. We just have to suck it up, and realize that we are not going to be appreciated or liked. We just got to learn to not give a shit if someone doesn't like us. Doing the right thing is never easy and doing the wrong thing is the easy way out.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
CowTownZX-10R said:
Problem is, if we don't send aid, we are called insenstive and uncaring. If we send aid, we are called imperialist, and that we are trying to impose our lifestyle. We just have to suck it up, and realize that we are not going to be appreciated or liked. We just got to learn to not give a shit if someone doesn't like us. Doing the right thing is never easy and doing the wrong thing is the easy way out.
What I was thinking mostly about is the families that are saved by our aid and young children that see American Soldiers or civilians helping out in a great time of need. If you leave a great impression then those families might be grateful and may one day help for the cause of Democracy or the US policy in the future.

But doing nothing, I can't see as a help in the short or long term for this country. Of course this is all just my experience with being in the military and spending over 5 years over seas in differant countries, which I got an advantage of meeting different cultures and evaluate their thinking of me and Americans in general.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I dont see the correlation between overseas aid to help poor third world contries after a natural disaster that killed 300,000 people, with what happened this week in the south east of the richest country on the planet. Many countries gave generously to the tsunami victims, not just USA. For sure what has happened to New Orleans etc is a huge disaster, but overseas aid isnt about pay-back. Do you want Indonesia to write Bubba a cheque?

If you think you are short of cash, you could always save a billion dollars a day and pull out of Iraq, or perhaps defer for a few years whatever the latest / greatest military weapon being developed is.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You know, it is a real bad thing that happened, and I will pray foy those effected. But you have to wonder how many of those people could have saved themselves had they listened and left earlier. My department is part of ten taskforce one seach and rescue and we were deployed 3days prior to it hitting........And if the hurricane wasnt enough pain for these people the refuges that came to my wonderfull neighboring shelby county and city of memphis ( note I use wonderfull very very very loosely) the local P.O.S. are pretending to be hurricane victims to get some of the aid and braeking into the cars of the real victims and taking the things they thought they saved.
Sorry but it P's me off

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have to agree with you. I also spent quite a bit of time in the military, and overseas. I saw what we were doing for a lot of the kids. And it was stuff that really made a difference in their lives. You just hope that they will remember that we made their lives a little better, and that they will try to make things better for the next generation.

bluedevil said:
What I was thinking mostly about is the families that are saved by our aid and young children that see American Soldiers or civilians helping out in a great time of need. If you leave a great impression then those families might be grateful and may one day help for the cause of Democracy or the US policy in the future.

But doing nothing, I can't see as a help in the short or long term for this country. Of course this is all just my experience with being in the military and spending over 5 years over seas in differant countries, which I got an advantage of meeting different cultures and evaluate their thinking of me and Americans in general.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Now I can't say that I agree with you. We, as a nation, have never asked for anyones help. I guess we are just suprised by the lack of help being offered to save those that are still trapped. You are taking a natural disaster, and making it a political statement. OK, so 300,000 people didn't die. It still isn't a good thing. If a single child dies, it isn't a good thing. Just ask the child's parents. And pulling out of Iraq wont bring a single life back.

It seems ironic to me though that the world is so quick to forget the lives that American soldiers gave to protect the freedoms of the world. How different the world would be if the USA was still an Isolationist government. You would be speaking Japanese in Austrailia, and German in England. But that is just my opinion... you know being an ugly American.

vegemite said:
I dont see the correlation between overseas aid to help poor third world contries after a natural disaster that killed 300,000 people, with what happened this week in the south east of the richest country on the planet. Many countries gave generously to the tsunami victims, not just USA. For sure what has happened to New Orleans etc is a huge disaster, but overseas aid isnt about pay-back. Do you want Indonesia to write Bubba a cheque?

If you think you are short of cash, you could always save a billion dollars a day and pull out of Iraq, or perhaps defer for a few years whatever the latest / greatest military weapon being developed is.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Back to the original theme of this post...no disrespect intended, but many of you Americans sometimes forget that you have International Brothers on this Board. As for noone providing help...I am in the Canadian Military and in the past 3 days I have helped collect over $5000 dollars in personal donations from my Unit alone to send to the American Red Cross. None of us are poor but we're certainly not rich either. I can't speak for any other country, but Canada and the US have a long history of helping each other out. Many of you have probably never heard of the Halifax Explosion. In 1917, during WW I, 2 Ships collided in Halifax Harbour, 1 of them being full of explosives. The resulting explosion still holds the record to this day as the largest man-made, non-nuclear explosion in history. Thousands were killed and many more injured and windows were blown out of buildings as far as 10 miles away. The city of Boston gave so much aid that Halifax still sends a gigantic Nova Scotia Spruce tree to them for Christmas every year.
More recently, after the events of 911, when the skies over America were shut down to commercial air traffic, hundreds of planes bound for America and thousands of passengers were welcomed into Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland. Those thousands of passengers had to stay somewhere, and the community opened their arms wide and invited them into our homes for as long as they needed.
These are just 2 examples. If you really think that your generosity only begats animosity maybe you should think again.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Valad point, however I could be wrong but I believe they were speaking of the nations that we and others like Canada, and others bail out and the only thing we get in return is bitching about how they dont like the way we do things at home. Untill they need more help.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I just get real tired of hearing..." Save yourself some omeny and pull out of Iraq..." Fine, if we did this, who will pick up the slack? Who will help almost any other nation in a time of need? I say, fugg those that live here and cannot support the actions of those in the military. If ya don't like it, the greates thing about this nation is that you can leave at any time and not come back. What happened to all the patriotism we saw after 9-11?

Also, if people would listen to more than one news org, they would realize that the National Guard in La. is doing what it can. They have trucks that were on their way to the flooded areas but there is sooo much debris in the water that it was puncturing holes in the tires. WEll, ya can't repair a flat tire that is under water.

Also, the evacuation of the Superdome had to stopped this morning because of dumbasses shooting at the NG helicopters. Don't these people realize that they are only prolonging their own agony by doing stupid stuff like this?

I wish there was more I could do to help, but there isn't. I hope and pray that things will get better and people will start getting out and getting on with their lives.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts