Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor put BST's on his ZX-14. He then blew his engine at the local drapgstrip on the second pass with Nitrous. This is the third time he has blown his engine. He is done, and broke and is parting out the bike to pay off the loan.

Guess what? The FRONT ZX-14 wheel is the same part # for 2006-2009 ZX10's.

I mounted the tires and installed his Cermaic Bearings for him. The wheel has 2 drag strip passes on it. :lol:

He wants $800.00 shipped since it is used, slightly, and he is desperate. I will get a picture of it in a day or 2.

Just thought I would throw this out if anyone is interested.

The REAR ZX-14 wheel doesn't fit our bikes, sorry.

Myself? I cannot imagine ever owning a bike WITHOUT those wheels.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to ask him about the tire but I would say no on the tire. It is a slick anyway. But yes on the 800 for wheel and ceramics. I will get a pic up in a day or 2.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
As long as it's the wheel and bearing. So I bolts right up I can use the stock spacers and the discs bolt up to right? If so sold provided no damage

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In My Opinion, (others may differ) wheel bearings are a 1 time use only item. That is once installed, they should never be removed unless they are to be replaced. The reason being is the only way to remove a wheel bearing is to drive or apply force to the "inner" race virtually assuring the fact the bearing in all likely hood will be damaged. Even if you cant see it or feel it.

I would never reuse a bearing that has been removed.

Bearings are installed by driving on the outer race using a socket that is the correct fit or special tools like I have.

So the Ceramic Bearings stay with the wheel. The slick tire will be removed on my No Mar.

As for spacers the BST wheel uses it own captive spacers. It is a 100% bolt right on with no issues whatsoever wheel for a 2006-2009 ZX10R and all years ZX-14 and 1 year ZX6 though I dont recall which.

The stock brake rotors bolt right on.

Basically whoever buys this wheel just needs to mount a tire and it bolts right up 100% to a 2006-2009 ZX10.

Unfortunately the ZX-14 rear wheel does not fit any year 10's. He will have to eBay that one. Can't help him there.

I have the exact same wheel and part # on my 2008.

NO damage. The wheel is beautiful.

Give me a day or 2 to get some pics up before committing to buy. I think that needs to happen. $800 bucks is a lot of dough, so detailed close up pics need posted before anyone sends money. Please understand.

You are at the top of the list. And since it ain't mine, I'm in no real hurry to see it sold,........ like I am with my own cocka. :lol:

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
One of the fascinating design aspects of the BST wheel, besides the carbon of course, is the enginering of the hubs and wheel spacers.

For example the FRONT axel of a 2006-2009 ZX10R is 25mm in diameter. The STOCK wheel bearings have a 25MM bore to fit the axel.

On the 2006-2009 ZX10R BST wheel, BST uses 28MM front wheel bearings that are larger and therefore turn with less resistance as compared to a 25MM bearing. The 28MM bearing also turns less RPM's than a 25mm bearing does for the same distance traveled.

BST then makes the wheel spacers so the actually slide into the bearing about an inch or so and sleeve it down from 28mm to 25mm with the wheel spacers so the stock axel fits.

The beauty of the wheel spacer sliding into the bearing is that it is "captive" or held in place due to a semi-tight fit inside the bearing. Thus the wheel spacers cannot fall out when R&Ring the wheel.

That and the fact the wheel bearings are 3MM larger is truly a performance improvement in itself.

Another interesting feature is the use of Heli-Coils in the brake rotor aluminum hubs.

I once read when the Space Shuttle was originally designed that they went ahead at the factory building the Shuttle and installed Heli-Coils in the entire shuttle, expecting to have to R&R those fasteners many many times over the lifetime of the shuttle. BST has done the same.

The rear BST wheels have the same design features.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thats a smokin zzyxx of a deal there, I paid over 3K for mine but they are worth it. Rode the new aprilia RSV4 today in the mountains , it was kill , better than anything ive ever rode, solid as a rock, perfect mapping, ohlins perfect, feels like the bike is super short.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Dam. If any of the above members pass. I will take it, & the rear(if the price is right)

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When he gets home from work tonight I will walk over and ask him. I never considered it before because I didn't think there would be any interest in a ZX14 BST wheel that doesnt fit a 10. Boy was I wrong. I already have people lined up in my PM box I need to revisit if the rear goes up for sale.

My original intent was to help out "desertchecker" whose front BST wheel was damaged bad and I thought he might want a new front to go with his rear BST he still has.

Gawd I wish I had a bunch of these to sell. Maybe I need to take a trip to South Africa with some of those Somali Pirates. :lol:

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
When he gets home from work tonight I will walk over and ask him. I never considered it before because I didn't think there would be any interest in a ZX14 BST wheel that doesnt fit a 10. Boy was I wrong. I already have people lined up in my PM box I need to revisit if the rear goes up for sale.

My original intent was to help out "desertchecker" whose front BST wheel was damaged bad and I thought he might want a new front to go with his rear BST he still has.

Gawd I wish I had a bunch of these to sell. Maybe I need to take a trip to South Africa with some of those Somali Pirates. :lol:
hahaa thats funny!

·
Registered
492 Posts

I think the back wheel could adapted to a 10. Spacers can be machined relatively cheap.
It is a 17" x 6" rim, isnt it?

Please do, I'll take a set :smile:

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
All, my goal from the beginning was to help desertchecker because he had a front BST wheel and he had issues with it from day one or something like that. Im not exactly sure. He could better explain it. This occurred a couple of weeks ago. He even sent me pictures of it.

He and I had many BST discussions before I suddenly came into the opportunity to get him a MINT front wheel. So desertchecker got the wheel. Now he has both a Front and Rear BST wheel again.

The rear ZX14 wheel is NOT my property and I am not very motivated to do for anyone else what I have done for desertchecker when I am making 0 bucks out of it. I hope you can understand that.

If you are interested in the BST ZX14 rear wheel, email the actual owner. His name is Richard Moore and his email address is;

[email protected]

:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
desertchecker is the guy that some shop damage his wheel right
I dont think so. That shop damaged wheel episode was a year or 2 back. I remember reading the thread. I am not sure what happened to desertcheckers wheel. He did send me pics and it was pretty bad. This was about 2 weeks ago. Then I just happened to come across him another front wheel.

Im sure he can explain it better than I. This was no shop damage.

Im NOT going to post his pics. He may have his reason for not wanting too, otherwise he can post them himself.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
sold?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.