Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 520 conversion I have been sitting on and too lazy to have put on. Is it difficult to put on? What tools would I require? Time to do?

·
Banned
5 Posts
By "520 conversion", you mean you have new front and rear sprockets along with the chain? Swapping out the sprockets isn't hard at all. Even throwing the chain on isn't difficult until it's time to rivet the links. Get yourself something like the motionpro chain breaker kit.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Im in the same predicament. I dont wanna buy the tools I need, so I'm just gonna grind the old chain off, and take the new one someone and get it pressed, i guess.

I tried the other day for an hour or so to get the old sprocket off.... 8' breaker bar, impact gun, nothing budged it. I'm gonna go get the nut broken loose at a local tire shop. (Same thing I had to do the first time I changed it)

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Im in the same predicament. I dont wanna buy the tools I need, so I'm just gonna grind the old chain off, and take the new one someone and get it pressed, i guess.

I tried the other day for an hour or so to get the old sprocket off.... 8' breaker bar, impact gun, nothing budged it. I'm gonna go get the nut broken loose at a local tire shop. (Same thing I had to do the first time I changed it)

Make sure your trans is in neutral and put a piece of 2 X 4 in your back wheel

to take the shock and torque from breaking it loose.

Also, did you flatten out the washer on the sprocket nut?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
chain breaker tool and rivet kit is only 100 bucks, pays for itself in no time. Its an easy job just take your time, flatten the washer on the front sprocket, leave it in neutral, use a 2/4 to brace the wheel against the swingarm(and a soft cloth) get a breaker bar and maybe someone to hold her steady. Really only takes about 1/2 hr. Its an easy job and gives you time to clean things that you normally cannot reach. There are a lot pf threads on this topic as well.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Make sure your trans is in neutral and put a piece of 2 X 4 in your back wheel

to take the shock and torque from breaking it loose.

Also, did you flatten out the washer on the sprocket nut?
Yeah, I done all that. nearly snapped the wrench, and the extension I was using. I only have a professional HD socket. If I had a heavy duty wrench I might could have gotten it.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
The first time I changed it was ~17,000 miles ago. I fought and fought with it then, but took it to a tire shop and they zipped it right off. I agree it's a simple job, and it wouldnt take much time. More time is spent on gettin that front sprocket off than anything.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Kawasaki brand Electric impact: $60 Pepboys
Trackside chain tool kit: $80

Price for the work at the dealer: $150-$200

Price with these tools: $140

Harbor freight even has the chain breaker/rivet tool now...they will probly do one or 2 chains...but they would be cheap if your in a bind.

·
Ninja Police!
3,147 Posts
Me and a buddy did mine. The hardest part was breaking that front sprocket loose. Man that thing was a pain in the ass. We used everything we could, we eventually had to use the biggest power tool we could find and we had to hit it for bout 3 minutes. Your gonna want to buy the rivot tool. My buddy had one thank god..

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i used my dremel to cut the old chain off, my new chain was a rk with a x-clip (i think that is what they call it). I also did the 2x4 in the spoke and had my buddy literally stand on my rear brake with the trany in neutral. just make sure that washer is FLAT and you will get it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
um, here's another idea on how to rivet the new chain - Bang it with 2 hammers!

not the best way to do it, but worked for me on my 6r for about 10k miles!!

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Angle grinder, and a rivet tool. Not all that hard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts