Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got rid of my 3rd gen last year I have not really kept up on the 4th gens and instead of searching though 100's of threads for little tid-bits of information I figured I could just compile it here. I am considering putting another drag bike together this winter and am thinking of using a salvage 4th gen as my starting point. What I am looking for is any information/experiences with what kind of power the stock motors can handle, mostly rods/crank. I am thinking of going with 13.5 drop-ins but may consider a 2-3 mill build depending on cylinder wall thickness. Also could use any info on the stock valve train as far as what kind of rpm/lift it can handle. Pretty much any info is welcome...lol.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
There are rumors that the motors are thin walls and won't take much abuse, and for me it's much cheaper to turbo the bike and make as much power as a build to the hill 3mm at like 3psi and have a stock ridability as well.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really wanting to build a turbo bike at the moment. Any other info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Crank / rods / top end as strong or stronger as all previous gens. Valvetrain built to handle more rpm. But, it would be cheaper to build an older 10.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crank / rods / top end as strong or stronger as all previous gens. Valvetrain built to handle more rpm. But, it would be cheaper to build an older 10.
Thanks Dean, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I know it would be a bit cheaper to put together an older (still a slight possibility) but I have all ready built a 3rd gen and wanted to do something a little different. Plus, starting out with more power in stock form is enticing. What I'm thinking now is to just clean up the head per the race manual, install the kit cams along with the ECU, and try to squeeze as much compression out of it that I can. Thinking that would put me a little higher on power than what my 3rd gen head/cam combo was making....hopefully. Any opinions on that?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
That would work. Youll make more hp on stock pistons than a 2mil previous gen. But youll pay for it up front.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plan is to build off of a salvage bike so im not to worried about the initial cost....its just money right:badteeth:

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
There are rumors that the motors are thin walls and won't take much abuse, and for me it's much cheaper to turbo the bike and make as much power as a build to the hill 3mm at like 3psi and have a stock ridability as well.
This is what I have also read over on psychobike.com. They just don't have the wall thickness of the older gens and guys who were seriously looking at building a grudge bike found that they needed to stick with small shots of spray, nothing big like an 80 shot or higher. Smaller shots like 30 - 40 are tiny shots. And the 3 mil builds were not recommended. This was early on in the bike's release though.
But, if I were you, I would call a couple grudge builders and see what they have to say. I'm sure with the right amount of money you can get something nasty built.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I have also read over on psychobike.com. They just don't have the wall thickness of the older gens and guys who were seriously looking at building a grudge bike found that they needed to stick with small shots of spray, nothing big like an 80 shot or higher. Smaller shots like 30 - 40 are tiny shots. And the 3 mil builds were not recommended. This was early on in the bike's release though.
But, if I were you, I would call a couple grudge builders and see what they have to say. I'm sure with the right amount of money you can get something nasty built.
J
I may be finding out soon enough. Getting some lookers on the car and as soon as it is gone tube build will begin.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Just a side note, the cylinder spacing is the exact same from 04-12. I have laid a 2011 head gasket over a 2004 and its pretty much exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah the cyliner walls are to thin to do a 3 mill street build. If your gonna keep it a street bike I'd stay stock bore or it'll get to hot.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
It will strictly be a track bike, I will be staying stock bore for the time being tho...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a side note, the cylinder spacing is the exact same from 04-12. I have laid a 2011 head gasket over a 2004 and its pretty much exactly the same.
Do you happen to know if the exhaust port spacing is the same? Would like to make a sidewinder work from an earlier bike being that no body is making them for the 4th gen it seems.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I Thought brocks was making one....

I dont know for certain if they will bolt up or not but I did check to see if the gen 4 stock pipes will fit on a gen 2 head and they DO NOT fit....

BUT!!!! That could have been cause I couldnt move them to the right position???

One of those things y ou just have to try out ya know...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I Thought brocks was making one....

I dont know for certain if they will bolt up or not but I did check to see if the gen 4 stock pipes will fit on a gen 2 head and they DO NOT fit....

BUT!!!! That could have been cause I couldnt move them to the right position???

One of those things y ou just have to try out ya know...
Yeah, I dont mind cutting one apart to make it fit just right. I would rather not run a brocks pipe if possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts