Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Do you have or have you owned a 900rr?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed that some of you also have a 900rr as another bike.

Just curious how many.
Also who has had one before.

I've noticed in the past, that a lot of people have had fzr600, then a 900rr and now 10r's.
That has been my pattern with a coule other beaters here and there.

The frame geometry is pretty close between my 94 900 and my 10.

------------- ZX ---------------cbr- 94

Wheelbase ------54.5 -------------- 55.3

Rake/Trail ------24*/4.0" -----------24*/3.5" (my ontario tree makes it 4.0" cbr)

Seat height ----32.5"----------------31.7"

bore/ stroke ratio is similar also:
76X55mm ----------70x58mm

zx has higer compression and obviously more cc's
12.7 : 1 ------------11.0 : 1

375lbs dry claim zx ------------ cbr CLAIMED 407.9lbs dry

16" wheel on cbr makes it feel very different.
I had a 17" front on my 96RR

(was looking at my brochures from my 94 900 and the 10 as I did before buying the 10r.)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have one in my garage and I love it.....or loved it........when it was running. Went through 2 motors in a very short period of time and I am pretty sure my plans to make a track bike out of it are about to change to parting it out and getting some chedda

The biggest difference between the two is the wheelbase. Its close but if you put the two side by side you can really see how much different they are laid out. The zx frame is all compact and the motor is shoehorned in there with a reletively long swing arm. The cbr has a lot more free space around the motor (when it's in the frame) and a shorter swing arm. Still a sweet ride. I have had a few pops so if this makes no sense, sorry.

If you know anybody looking for parts or just a rolling chassis with a clean title, let me know.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lunitk said:
I have one in my garage and I love it.....or loved it........when it was running. Went through 2 motors in a very short period of time and I am pretty sure my plans to make a track bike out of it are about to change to parting it out and getting some chedda

The biggest difference between the two is the wheelbase. Its close but if you put the two side by side you can really see how much different they are laid out. The zx frame is all compact and the motor is shoehorned in there with a reletively long swing arm. The cbr has a lot more free space around the motor (when it's in the frame) and a shorter swing arm. Still a sweet ride. I have had a few pops so if this makes no sense, sorry.

If you know anybody looking for parts or just a rolling chassis with a clean title, let me know.
Your making sense to me.

Friend gets back from getting married end of the month- If it is still around he may be interested- he has a few at his shop and may have use for all or some of it.

He will probably be boke though, Hawaii and cruise for wedding.:dontknow:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Never had one but one of my riding buddies has a 98 that is pristine and he rides well enough to make a lesser rider on a newer bike really blush. Still good bikes.

Wuff

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
05Zixxer said:
Never owned one but I've always wanted a '95 model.
That was the year that got the worst rep. Over flexy frame and still a 893cc.
Still fine on the street I'm sure but when two bros (before they spilit and errion racing came about) went back to the 94 frame for racing, it gave the 95 a bad rep.

It did get the lights and shift linkage. I put linkage on my 94 from a newer model.

94 and below had the "too stiff" frame, 95 is when designing flex into the frame came around.

96 and 97's are about perfect, specially with an aftermarket tree (and f3 17" front if you want, it has 918cc and, taller gearing.

98-99 got the corrected offset, forks spaced wider and even taller gearing- feels a little bigger to me.

And that is one reason I loved finding this site, helped get me up to speed on knowing the 10r because my life before was 900rr's.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I never had the 900 but I did own a 954. Awesome bike and I still regrett selling it to this day.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
It's cool that some others have had the 900RR, when it first came out I was set on buying that bike but got shipped overseas in the Air Force.

I would like to try a new poll. How about the ZX9R, ZX12R,Hayabusa, my first bike was a 10, or other...I would think we might get some surprising results. ...Anyone want me to start that poll? just an :idea: :dontknow:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bluedevil said:
It's cool that some others have had the 900RR, when it first came out I was set on buying that bike but got shipped overseas in the Air Force.

I would like to try a new poll. How about the ZX9R, ZX12R,Hayabusa, my first bike was a 10, or other...I would think we might get some surprising results. ...Anyone want me to start that poll? just an :idea: :dontknow:

makes sense. a lot of kawi faithful here.

I was curious becuse I've seen a few RR's listed in signatures and in some ways it is/was the original 10R.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had a '93 blade and still have the scar on my nose to prove it.:lol:
I wasn't :lol: at the time though.....and neither was my wife, as the incident involved beer (the beer told me to wheelie with no helmet on and I broke the fairing screen with my nose) and then involved my mate and I calmly sitting down (after putting a bandaid on a massive cut that later got some stitches) and finishing our beers, before I drove home (pi$$ed, with the bike on a trailer).:badteeth: :headshake

·
Registered
754 Posts
Besides my '05 Titanium 10 and my wifes '01 ZX9R, I still have my old (purchased new) '94 ZX9R in our basement.

A few years ago I had a chance to ride a friends CBR929 and really wasn't that impressed. It's a fast bike, no doubt, but Honda smoothed, moulded, and refined the whole damn thing so much that it was almost <gasp> boring! My old ZX9 is such a large, heavy brute, but it's also got a stump-puller of an engine with a strong hit at about 7,000 rpm and another yank-yer-shoulder-sockets hit between 9,000 and 10,000 rpm. The Honda is probably equally as fast (it should be as it was about 6 years newer!), but is was so Singer-sewing machine smooth (no hard hitting power spike) that it flet weak.

Just my .02.

:mrgreen:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zx10r_guy said:
Besides my '05 Titanium 10 and my wifes '01 ZX9R, I still have my old (purchased new) '94 ZX9R in our basement.

A few years ago I had a chance to ride a friends CBR929 and really wasn't that impressed. It's a fast bike, no doubt, but Honda smoothed, moulded, and refined the whole damn thing so much that it was almost <gasp> boring! My old ZX9 is such a large, heavy brute, but it's also got a stump-puller of an engine with a strong hit at about 7,000 rpm and another yank-yer-shoulder-sockets hit between 9,000 and 10,000 rpm. The Honda is probably equally as fast (it should be as it was about 6 years newer!), but is was so Singer-sewing machine smooth (no hard hitting power spike) that it flet weak.

Just my .02.

:mrgreen:

ZX9 was the only other option back then, came out a little later and was a little heavier but was faster all around I believe. FZR1000 was over 500lbs.

zx9 was 1st bike into the high 9's, like 9.87 if I remember correctly.

Never had a chance to ride one but would like to.

Still have a mag somewhere with zx vs 900rr.

That's cool that you still have yours.

A friend still has my original, bought new RR- in pieces.
After I lowsided it a 9900 miles, he bought it to make a streetfighter.
Motor work and powder coating and never assembled:headshake I sold it to him 'cause I figured he'd get it on the road quicker than I would back then.
That was probably '97

I now have the speedo, and seat from that bike on this RR.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
ZX9 was the only other option back then, came out a little later and was a little heavier but was faster all around I believe. FZR1000 was over 500lbs.

zx9 was 1st bike into the high 9's, like 9.87 if I remember correctly.

Never had a chance to ride one but would like to.

Still have a mag somewhere with zx vs 900rr.

That's cool that you still have yours.

A friend still has my original, bought new RR- in pieces.
After I lowsided it a 9900 miles, he bought it to make a streetfighter.
Motor work and powder coating and never assembled:headshake I sold it to him 'cause I figured he'd get it on the road quicker than I would back then.
That was probably '97

I now have the speedo, and seat from that bike on this RR.
Actually the ZX9R was the first mass produced Japan bike that did 9.99s in the 1/4 mile and of course that was with a great rider...months later the busa beat that mark and others followed.

I did get to ride with a 900rr once on the ZX9 and did a roll-on with some riding buds...the ZX showed that we were in a new era..no dought.:wink:

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is by far my favorite bike in the garage....I grew up in chicago and didn't have access to the twisties...so I got good at stunting...nothing balances on one wheel or has the durability of this baby.....She has 32,000 abusive miles with probably half on one wheel...original engine and tranny!!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Not to mention the trunk, great for errands.

96/97? maybe 95 and a newer tail?

Edit -Custom paint is throwing me- 98/99

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
hotstang46 said:
1998 I think that was directed at me?!?!:badteeth:
yeah- I forgot to quote ya.

Finally realized it was a 98 or 99, my buddy has a 99 from Canada, barely ever rides it anymore, red wht blue one, kind of rare here.

like this, I kind of want that one too.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've even been looking to pick up another.....and surprisingly they're pretty expensive for how old they are now......very nice examples are for the most part more than the 929 and 954rr.....probably because they will be collectibles someday:dontknow:

I just enjoy machines that are at the pinnacle of their developement...technology is moving so fast these days things are obsolete immediately and new technology is coming in...it seems kinks aren't completely worked out before the slate is cleared by a new model..... the 98-99 900rr had many many years of developement and it truly is close to perfect as far as a balanced street bike is concerned. That and the old GSXR slingshot are my favorite bikes produced i think!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts