Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many posts but some vary so this is what I have gathered but my problem keeps happening.
-------------------------------------
What info I have gathered:
White smoke = water/coolant/steam
If your coolants not low, its probably just the normal burnt exhaust gasses or moisture.
Check your coolant level as it may be burning coolant due to bad head gasket or crack in block

Blue smoke = oil
Usually a sign of piston rings or valve seals.
if its white with a hint of blue, its normal.
If its a darker blue, or you find you burn excessive amounts of oil, its time to check compression.

Grey, black smoke or dark colored smoke = fuel
This just means it is running excessively rich.
Not always a bad thing, but you may want to check on your tune.

Tips:
Check the oil to see if it's a milky color.
If so, oil and coolant are mixing and you probably have a bad head gasket

Also make sure air filter is clean and/or new.
----------------------------------------------------------

SO my situation is everything ran great for over a year on my 2014 ZX-10R. Currently has about 30k miles and I am about to schedule a valve adjustment job. In regard to my oil, I was using either Repsol or Silkolene synthetic oils and it never once did it smoke. So, then I bought MOTUL 300V and a new HiFlo oil filter about a month ago and installed it. Now, I noticed it would have white smoke almost every time I would start it and no its not cold outside. I did once notice after it sat overnight the oil seemed a bit high in the oil glass area, so I removed a bit of oil so the oil was just a bit over the min line in the glass area with the bike level. Now it still will smoke white almost every startup, sometimes a lot and sometime s a little, but it always goes away after a minute or two or after it is warmed up.
I have checked my oil and it is great green looking (Motul 300v is green) and no milkiness from coolant and also checked my coolant and it is nice blue (engine ice). Plus neither one changes in levels even after multiple hours riding. I also just replaced my K&N air filter about 2 days ago and it still smoked last night on 3 different occasions at startup.

It is just embarrassing that every time I start it after it s been sitting for more then maybe 15 minutes, then I get all of this white smoke, like a choo choo train for a minute or two. It's not a little as people could even see the smoke cloud even from benches in the park as people asked what was wrong with my bike. Yup, embarrassing. Is this a concern of a bad Valve head gasket or a head gasket? I am just wondering, as it goes away after it is warmed up. It is not condensation as it does this smoke even in the middle of a hot day at 80 F degrees when sitting off at a gas station for only 15 minutes. My temps on bike vary between 165 and 205, so it never gets too hot.

Any clue what I should look at? Is it the MOTUL 300v 10w40 synthetic oil doing this smoke? I would just hate to pour out that expensive oil already but I am about to as I hate that startup smoke.

Suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have read many posts but some vary so this is what I have gathered but my problem keeps happening.
-------------------------------------
What info I have gathered:
White smoke = water/coolant/steam
If your coolants not low, its probably just the normal burnt exhaust gasses or moisture.
Check your coolant level as it may be burning coolant due to bad head gasket or crack in block

Blue smoke = oil
Usually a sign of piston rings or valve seals.
if its white with a hint of blue, its normal.
If its a darker blue, or you find you burn excessive amounts of oil, its time to check compression.

Grey, black smoke or dark colored smoke = fuel
This just means it is running excessively rich.
Not always a bad thing, but you may want to check on your tune.

Tips:
Check the oil to see if it's a milky color.
If so, oil and coolant are mixing and you probably have a bad head gasket

Also make sure air filter is clean and/or new.
----------------------------------------------------------

SO my situation is everything ran great for over a year on my 2014 ZX-10R. Currently has about 30k miles and I am about to schedule a valve adjustment job. In regard to my oil, I was using either Repsol or Silkolene synthetic oils and it never once did it smoke. So, then I bought MOTUL 300V and a new HiFlo oil filter about a month ago and installed it. Now, I noticed it would have white smoke almost every time I would start it and no its not cold outside. I did once notice after it sat overnight the oil seemed a bit high in the oil glass area, so I removed a bit of oil so the oil was just a bit over the min line in the glass area with the bike level. Now it still will smoke white almost every startup, sometimes a lot and sometime s a little, but it always goes away after a minute or two or after it is warmed up.
I have checked my oil and it is great green looking (Motul 300v is green) and no milkiness from coolant and also checked my coolant and it is nice blue (engine ice). Plus neither one changes in levels even after multiple hours riding. I also just replaced my K&N air filter about 2 days ago and it still smoked last night on 3 different occasions at startup.

It is just embarrassing that every time I start it after it s been sitting for more then maybe 15 minutes, then I get all of this white smoke, like a choo choo train for a minute or two. It's not a little as people could even see the smoke cloud even from benches in the park as people asked what was wrong with my bike. Yup, embarrassing. Is this a concern of a bad Valve head gasket or a head gasket? I am just wondering, as it goes away after it is warmed up. It is not condensation as it does this smoke even in the middle of a hot day at 80 F degrees when sitting off at a gas station for only 15 minutes. My temps on bike vary between 165 and 205, so it never gets too hot.

Any clue what I should look at? Is it the MOTUL 300v 10w40 synthetic oil doing this smoke? I would just hate to pour out that expensive oil already but I am about to as I hate that startup smoke.

Suggestions or ideas?
I think is your oil, Had a blow by in my 2011 Zx10r which was using expensive synthetic oil , switch to Kawasaki oil and no more blow by. if you using that oil for a long time now it may dry up seals too, one way to find out run a regular Kawasaki oil in it for 500-1000 miles and see what happens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts